Head Wounds?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by celestialdancer, May 25, 2013.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Monica has had a run in with something.

Almost severed the base of her offside ear off, and has a massive slice off her forehead.

Will upload photos a bit later, she's on antis, pain relief and it's being sprayed twice daily with pink spray.

Do head wounds heal fast?

2. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Mmmm it took just over a month for Inkys to fully heal and his was all superficial, the hair took longer to grow back but once it did you would never have known anything happened. I'd say his head healed faster than any other cuts etc he's had though.

3. celestialdancer

Half way through cleaning. It looked a lot worse than this before it started to look better. Poor girl didn't like this part.

[​IMG]

All done :) Washed her face after this too. She seems a lot happier now. I was actually pointing at something on her face for clarification, I didn't mean to be rude :p

[​IMG]

4. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Awww poor pony! I should probably mention Inky never needed stitches or anything. Just a few really nasty cuts and a lot of hair off.

5. celestialdancer

Yeah, she was such a good girl though.

The curved one was about 10mm deep in the centre and we had to put internal stitches in too :(

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

she should do well CD fingers crossed for you

7. madison

madison Well-known Member

Crikey that's gotta hurt

8. In 3-4 weeks you wouldn't even know she'd done the doozy:D
    Good that she didn't damage the eye.**)

9. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

Horses have a remarkable ability to heal which is probably lucky since they also have a remarkable ability to hurt themselves in a "safe" paddock. Keep an eye on her in case she starts rubbing it as it starts to heal and gets a bit itchy but looks like a "nice" clean wound so should heal well and probably won't scar. Poor girl, any idea what she did it on?

10. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Poor girl :( and poor you it must be awful to see your horse in that state.

My Dylan had quite a nasty head injury as a baby foal, tore a big flap of skin on his forehead between the eyes, very similar to the lower injury on your mare. Nobody knew what it was from, possibly another mare's hoof but it earned him the nickname 'Zorro' for his gash. Apparently was quite bad and everyone was very scared for him but now he just has a flat relatively small hairless scar. I never realised how bad it must have been until he started greying out from black and now it's more visible except with winter coat you can't see it at all unless you're looking.

Actually, you can kind of see the scar on my avatar pic, next to his eye just above the dark grey patch above the noseband.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  11. celestialdancer

Really Coliban? :D

She was pretty lucky, although the vet thinks that she is a bit hazy out of that eye at the moment. Said it'll clear up with the pain relief as it takes the pressure off the back of the eye socket.

No idea RVP :( We have searched the paddock with a fine tooth comb. No sign of any blood even yet when I found her it was obvious it had poured down her face during the night. And there's no way she fence hopped.

Silly girl.

Looking forward to the next four days to be over as she's being needled/sprayed/medicated twice a day at the moment :(

12. Yep!:D
    If there weren't any bone fracture, concussion, brain damage, etc, skin wounds on heads heal in no time at all. It could be much worse. You both are very lucky:)

13. PF

PF Active Member

I agree with Coliban. My horse had a hole in his face that went through the cheek bone (vet thought it was pretty clever that he could "blow bubbles" with the antiseptic wash through the side of his face!) and he healed really quickly. It was completely healed within 5 weeks. Aside from his face being a bit a symetrical due to the bone damage you wouldn't know - there is no scarring.

Good luck with your girl - I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.

14. celestialdancer

Yay! :D

I'm lucky that she's not a stressy girl I think, she could have rubbed it all night and made it a lot worse. I'll take her out for a pick of green grass this afternoon.

I was told aloe vera gel once healing begins would make the chances of white hair regrowth slimmer. Does anyone know anything about that? I have used calendula paste in the paste. Just don't want to irritate it.

Am getting tuff rock on Monday as it'll help protect it a bit when it starts to get itchy.

15. Any baby cream would do the job fine. :rockon:
    I don't remember seeing white hair regrowth oh head wound scars?';' the hair either grows on scarring tissue or it doesn't, keeping it moist with any cream certainly helps. If you have an aloe vera pant growing, you can just chop the leaf, scoop its flesh out and use it on the wound straight away:D

16. celestialdancer

Awesome :)

Thanks heaps guys, first decent injury we've had to deal with.

She's over being a pin cushion, and I have to have a helper with me whilst I treat her, but she's still keen to see me so I guess that's a plus!

17. mineees

mineees Gold Member

here are some piks of our girls injury...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. It healed so neatly Toni:)

19. mineees

mineees Gold Member

it has, and no signs of any scars at all. and you can touch her all over her head and she's not bothered at all...Oh its not my management as she did this whilst we were paying her off...:)

20. celestialdancer

Good God Minees!!! That is one nasty head wound!

It's healed fantastically though, that gives me hope :) Do you know how long it took for it to 'look' healed?