He likes to rear...advice please!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by CoUrTzZ_94, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

Wow, at 15/16 years old I took on a 4yo ottb mare. She started rearing on me aswell and not once did I EVER imagine going through it alone.. I had some very well RESPECTABLE RACE HORSE trainers help me with her, and also a wonderful lady at my agistment who trained OTTB's and showed etc also give me lessons. I even had her old track rider come out and ride her for me and then I rode her infront of her and they told me all about her "buttons" and how to ride her. Sure enough, we got her going well to the point where my completely non horsey friend, first time ever riding a horse could ride her around fine. I took her out by myself and she was great, we took a few steps back occasionally, but from the knowledge I recieved even from just WATCHING the race horses trainers and shutting my mouth and LISTENING to what they had to say when they helped me with her I was able to get her back under contral and continue working her. She never reared with me ever again and she was going GREAT!

The whole time through this my parents worried, and would ask me every day how she was going, would watch me with her, and there is NO WAY they would let me continue without help. ( Not just because she started rearing but also the fact that she was an ex-race horse! )

I'm still only 17 now, so I guess I'm still a "child" haha but I really just wanted to point out that we are NOT all like this! I am absolutely GOBSMACKED that she could be so immature and irresponsible and I can honestly only feel sorry for the horse. Just because you've been riding for a few years or you have your own horse Courtz does NOT make you a good rider.

I wish someone could show her parents this thread I don't know how they could let this continue........';':}

2. Had 3 of you PM me about this LOL I'll see if she still wants me to come out some time.

3. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Lol we are all worried and concerned for her safety #(

4. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Is this the longest thread or what ?? Yawn

5. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

I totally agree with you spider and toby ..

I too was only about 15/16 when i got my TB mare straight off the track and she was 3 and a half ... i had had many previous years experience of riding befor ei decided to get a young horse .. parents were very concerned at me getting such a young horse ect were very worried but me being a teenager at the time didnt care what my parents thought but they were always very concerned for my safety and even though they are non horsey were always there everytime i rode or did anything with this horse .. this mare of mine was very dangerous now i think about it .. i had to feed her with a whip .. i had come off her many of times beause i couldnt control her when i took her for a run .. i ended up oneday after a bad fall off her waking up and realising i needed help and that i couldnt do it on my own i had my instructor at the ag college i went to help me retrain her .. turned into a different horse she was about 4 nearly 5 when i decided this .. and i still have this mare today and i am 20 and she is 8 or 9 this year ... took me ages to come to my senses to get help with this bossy and nasty horse .. but once i got help i realised what an idiot i was for letting myself think i knew everything and could do anything with my horse without the help of adults ... but then again i would have people give me advice and i would listen just it was not the right advice for my horse .. but yer she is as good as gold now .. but as i said before now i think about it at the time she really was not a good horse for me but i stuck with her because i am stubborn and like to work with horses through things before i completely give up .. and there was times when my parents actually ripped me off her and said no you are not riding her until she stops bucking and hurting you ... but never did my horse rear she just used to buck and me not having good balance came off very easily .. hence why i now ride all my horses bareback .. i do ride with saddles but as soon as i feel i am relying on the saddle too much and my balance is starting to fail that is when i jump on bareback and learn my balance again :D ..

But i am concerned her parents dont know about this .. very scary ...

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Well this thread ended up about where I'd expected it to :}

Merrylegs I hope you able to get in contact with her and I sincerely hope she's still agreeable to have you come out.

7. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Agree, Was just waiting for it her to run away...........I hope Merrylegs can get in touch with her somehow and help her out....

8. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

I'm actually tempted to email the link to this thread to her Instructor, I think Courtzz said it was Char Freeman. Anyone heard of her?

I had a look on the net and there's a Char Freeman in Corrigin who breeds cats lol :D

9. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

More than just that Troppo, I was also referring to the way others replied to her posts.
    I was a teenager once and if people had carried on at me like that, I have no doubt I'd have reacted very similarly.
    I thought I knew it all too and I would often get my back up when people told me what to do.
    Talking AT ME never got you anywhere. Talking TO ME, would more often than not, get a better reaction.
    We all do stupid things but often it's hard to see without the benefit of hindsight.
    Yes she posted some dumb things but keeping her on the defensive was never going to help things.
    I just wish everyone had ignored some of what she said, backed off and left it to Merrylegs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  10. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

the thing is zaza, many of us tried aproaching her via pm, and discussing her options with her, and to every suggestion she would say "yes, of cousre, ill try that" and then post in the open forum that she had just done the complete opposite.

i STILL say my reaction was a normal, reasonable reaction given the information she had given to me both in the forum and via pm.

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Do you think possibly she got bombarded with a little too many ideas and opinions on the thread and via PM ? It very possibly overwhelmed her.
    Everybody's 'reactions' haven't helped in the long run have they. Can't understand why ;)
    Anyhoo ......... :}

12. smash

smash Well-known Member

bottom line..................................!!!!!!!
    dont ask for help if you DONT WANT IT
    it wastes EVERYBODYS time.

13. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Nah, better that than do the work the boss is actually paying me for ;)

14. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

I've been following this thread & have to agree with ZaZa. No teenager is going to be reasonable after reading the home truths that are written in this thread. & yes you've all given wonderful advice but advice was all she was asking for, not for you all to take control of her life.
    You can't save everyone from mistakes, no matter how much you want to or how hard you try.

15. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Zaza and FD - how would you put advice forward in this situation?

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The point is that many people saw a very real danger. They saw this from their own experiences.....some of us know/knew the horse.
    There are some very young and immature posters on this forum, and by immature I mean they have very little life experience to draw on when replying or posting......and it is glaringly obvious alot of the time.

We cannot help people from a distance.......hense why I always say get an instructor, have lessons, go to clinics and absorb as much general horse info as you can. This was a very clear case of hoping someone had a magic wand to fix the horse via the forum. I was even alarmed when she stated the horse was "better" after a spell.......the great percentage of horses will come back worse after a spell or at least very fresh and possibly even more unmanageable. The only one who felt 'refreshed' was Courtz, who had a few weeks sanity and safety.

The sooner our younger members realise that everyone who offers advise isn't a monster, the better the forum will be. Yes many of us have raised teenagers......and we know sometimes they are trying and hard-headed.....but only having a forum as a means to caution and communicate means we were doing a very caring and motherly thing. Nothing sinister there at all. It wasn't the advise and opinions that were wrong it was how they were taken.

I wish lifes problems were as easy as slamming a door or turning off the computer.....fact is Courtz is stuck with an older, hard to handle horse that either she rides with fear or she gets rid of. I bet she knows this and theres pain in the knowing.

Yes it would be great for Merry to get out there and help her........I doubt it will help this horse.....or achieve the result that Courtz needs for one so inexperienced. I hope she finds a horse to love and ride with enjoyment....and with such a lovely home I am sure one will come her way.

17. Looks like I am going tomorrow after all! Just got in touch with Courtz and am heading out in the morning. Better pack the car for a LONG day tomorrow LOL

18. Yes definately going tomorrow - apparently Courtz' family couldn't afford to pay my fuel to go so I said I would come for free since I am going half way anyways, I might as well go the rest of the way.

So we will see what I can do, I'll be speaking to her and her legal guardian too.

19. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i'm sorry, but O MY GOD. you guys need to BACK OFF.

throwing terms around like "pet meat" and "stupidity" and "pts" is REALLY not going to make this girl any happier about sharing her life with you.

she needs people to HELP her not just judge her for making some bad decisions & having feelings for her horse. she's a KID for god's sake! she came on here to ask for help & merrylegs was offering that & NOT just shooting from the hip with the "omfg that horse is dangerous!" statements, which are NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!

you guys are the ADULTS here. so WHAT if you've repeated stuff & feel frustrated. just wait a while & see what pans out. it really is unfortunate that you guys all jumped on her before merrylegs had a chance to get in touch. of COURSE her "flight instinct" is going to kick in - she's a teenager! i really think if she HADN'T received all those reactive comments from ADULTS then she may very well still be a member of stockies & as a result MAY have had merrylegs actually visit to help her out!

idk about you guys, but it was really hard for me as a teenager to eat humble pie.
    you have every right to an opinion, but sometimes it's best just to bide your time. the best horsepeople i know are also the most PATIENT people, who usually understand context.

i'm 30 years old & cried my EYES out and was INCREDIBLY disappointed in myself & my decisions when i realised i couldn't cope with my horse by myself. i've had the chance to mature & age (like a fine wine, i like to think!) & learn how to reflect. i hate to think how i would have been if i had met the same horse when i was an emotional, cocky, hormonal teenager who knew everything.

edit::: o SNAP, merrylegs! i'm so glad you've got in touch with her, that's AWESOME.

20. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Thankyou, I wasnt able to say it so clearly. Totally agree with this:}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.