He likes to rear...advice please!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by CoUrTzZ_94, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

What Blitzen said :}

2. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Yeah I kinda agree. But there was alot of those comments at the beginning. Poor girl must be very ambitious, and just as inexperienced to go along with it.

I really hope it works out well for the pair.

Thing is, at some point we all need to cop what we dont want to hear. Take it in and learn from it.

3. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Wow Merrylegs that's great!! I really, really hope it goes well - please let us know!

I agree that some of the things said may have been a bit harsh (my comments telling her she was idiotic and asking if she was insane lol) but these were only posted after a LOT of advice had already been given and ignored, and the OP had attempted something very dangerous. I am not retracting anything I said as I believe she needed to hear it. I don't think as responsible adults we can sit back and NOT SAY ANYTHING but I concede that I could have been a bit more tactful, but I was genuinly in shock - and still am!

You are so generous Merrylegs and I really hope they appreciate what you are doing for them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  4. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Exactly, and you got exactly what I was thinking Blitzen. I have 4 stepsisters, all younger than me. I know what they would do if I talked at them like that.....tell me to F*** off. Hence why I tried to give her some safe pointers and then guide her to Merrylegs......telling a young girl she needs to put her horse down (whether it be true or not) is only going to get her back up, especially when we don't know personally the situation. There was some really good points made in a lot of the posts, unfortunately sometimes it just came across as bullying.

Awesome that you got hold of her Merrylegs, hopefully it will work out well!! Good luck, you are a star! Keep us posted.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. Standy_lover

Standy_lover Well-known Member

ok well i decide to join again too let u all know how it went with merrylegs

My boy is EXTREMELY SORE and i feel SO bad its not funny...the choices i had were spend the thousands to get him all good and not sore or have him pts....

its the most heart breaking decison but im having him pts its not fair on him to be in pain and we just dont have that sort of money!#:)(

6. kp

kp Well-known Member

So sorry to hear that. It is a tough decision to make and I feel for you. But also admire the the courage you have shown in making this difficult decision. I hope the next horse works out well for you.

7. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

so sorry to hear. You mentioned he was better after a few weeks off. Which would have pointed to soreness.

What a hard decision you are faced with. But well done. I think you have made the right one.
    He is lucky to have had you, rather than what previous owners did in just passing him on from person to person. Thanks to you he can finally rest.

Goodluck with everything :)

8. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Wow, that is heartbreaking, but if Merrylegs thought that this was the right option after assessing the situation then I am sure she gave you good advice.

Hopefully next time you can get yourself a good quiet allrounder horse that will give you many years of learning and enjoyment, rather than frustration and endangerment.

May be good to get a knowledgeable person to come with you next time you are looking for a horse.

Good on you for seeking out the right advice

9. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Wow Courtz :( Thats such a difficult decision you have made - and it sounds like a wise one. Your family is probably now very relieved that you have remained safe!

My heart goes out to Merrylegs too - can't imagine that is the outcome she expected either - and I know it is not advice she would have given lightly!

All the best to everyone involved.

10. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

I'm really sorry to hear that Courtz.

I think you made the right decision for your horse, I'm sure it was very hard for you.

All the best.

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

So sorry to hear Courtz. :(
    I really had hoped for a better outcome.
    ((( HUGS )))

12. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

So sorry to hear that but at least you are being very responsible and won't pass on the problem like the previous people did. Its very sad for you but for his sake you are making the right decision, he won't be in pain any more.

13. smash

smash Well-known Member

thank you courtz for updating us.
    glad ML was able to help you.
    i truely hope, now you see, that people were only worried about your welfare, as sore horses can be very dangerous.
    sorry it has ended this way, but hopefully, now that you have met ML, she may be able to help you find a suitable horse for you to ENJOY.
    cheers

14. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

wouldnt that be fantastic! especially with all those lovely horses ML comes across that need loving homes.

15. Just got home from a long day driving.

Just as Courtz has said, her boy is in a huge amount of pain - his reaction isn't suprising considering! I was able to show her where and how to tell, and had a brief glance in his mouth too which was also a mess.

I explained the options they faced to both Courtz and her Gran and discussed the hows, whys and wherefores.

I was very deeply impressed at how Courtney undertook the responsibility and made her decision and I was deeply impressed at how much she wanted the best for the horse rather than herself.

I'm so sorry mate, I wish it could have been different but I am also very glad to know what a mature, responsible, caring and brave young lady you are.

16. Nicnacs_Mistress

Nicnacs_Mistress Well-known Member

Courtz, I am so sorry that you have had to make this painful decision. I know the pain of have to PTS a beloved horse.

If you don't mind me asking, could you or ML please let us know what exactly was the problem? Did he have severe muscle injuries, or bone issues? I don't intend to cause you more pain but I havn't heard of a horse being PTS unless the quality of life could not be guaranteed.

Once again, despite all of the negative comments (even mine), I am so very sorry for your loss.

17. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Coutz please know that everyone who answered your post did so with very good intentions. Everyone here knows the pain you are feeling and how sad you are.....know I am thinking of you and applaud you for making such a tough decision. That is a huge one to make for anyone and you put aside your feelings to do what is best for the horse.

Well done young lady! **)

18. Standy_lover

NM his back and hips are that sore it isnt funny! it would take alot of money for trips to perth to see the dentist chiro etc plus fuel money and float hire....it would just be too much and i would still have an uneducated horse whom still might rear and i dont want too sell him on as if someone else gets hurt from him i would blame myself.....this wasnt an easy decsion but in my heart in know its the right thing....he will be gone on tuesday morning

i will love him forever and will forever be in my heart he has become apart of me like a child, and Jess thank you SO SO SO much i cannot explain how greatful i am to have you come out and help! if i knew he was that sore i would of done something sooner

19. Nicnacs_Mistress

Nicnacs_Mistress Well-known Member

Thank you Courtz, I am sorry for prying. I hope that you will one day be able to look back at your time with your boy and not feel as much pain as you are obviously feeling at the moment.

When you are ready I am sure you will find the horse or pony who will make your dreams come true.

Good luck.

20. Standy_lover

its ok :) i am coping rather well with it if i do say so myself :) im just so happy i had such a wounderful horse in my life! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.