He likes to rear...advice please!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by CoUrTzZ_94, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

Ok well heres the story

Everytime i ask my boy to lunge he goes around a few times then swings his butt out so i click him on and put the whip to his butt to ask him to go forward....then he decides he doesnt want to and Rears and keeps going up until i stop, but now i have realised he just doesnt want to work and that is his way of getting out of it so now i just keep asking until he does what i ask.But now he has started doing undersaddle aswell he goes up vertical until i come off i get back on everytime but nothing seems to work with him. He has only been like this in the last few weeks, but this morning when i went down to feed him he got half way to his paddock came back around me and kicked me! i have no idea what is going on with him he has gotten me that upset and frusterated i have been in tears a number of times i have tried everything i can think of, but now i have a lovely lady who has offerd to do some natural horsemanship with him but i work with him she is showing me what to do but he is still the same ';'';'

so i was just woundering what all you wounderful stockies think i should do...any help is muchly appreciated!

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ok first things first

when was his saddle fitted last?
    have you had his back checked?
    have you had his teeth checked?
    have you changed his feed?

he may have learnt that rearing on the lunge you stop making him go forward he wins

so now hes learnt to do it under saddle and of course you come off and he wins

i wouldnt ride him if he keeps rearing much to dangerous for you if he comes back over onto you.

if his back and teeth are fine then lunge him and drive him forward even if he rears. keep the pressure on him until he moves forward. most horses wont throw themselves backwards because it will hurt. same as you wouldnt throw yourself backwards and hit your head on purpose

3. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

his saddle was done only 2 months ago
    his teeth were done last week
    his back was done when i got the saddle fitted
    his feed hasnt been changed

i have stopped riding him until he stop rearing but i am at loss i get him going forward eventually.

a lady told me to smack him with the lunge whip when he rears, im not sure weather it would work tho id feel terrible if i did

4. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Sorry, but if you've ruled out pain then I'd flog him when he does it!! Forward forward forward!!! Make him work till hes too tired to even think about going up then work him a bit more!! Then pull him out the next day and do it all over again-I've recently discovered that sometimes naughtiness is due to lack of work as much as anything else! Wet saddle blankets every ride......

5. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

i think thats what im gonna start doing! im SO over his behaviur

6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Can I ask...what do you feed him and how often do you work him?? So often these horses are full of feed with not enough work so they find other outlets for their energy!!

7. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Um..is this horse the standardbred that reared and went over backwards in a show not too long ago?

How are you with your hands when you ride? And when you lunge, do you clip the lungline onto a bit or just to the halter? From my experience, some horses will rear to get out of work but some also do it to get away from pressure. There are also different forms of pressure, for instance some horses will interpret a very high energy, demanding rider as pressure, even if you aren't even touching the horse!

If you have addressed all pain issues, and looked at yourself as a rider/handler, I would send the horse away to a professional trainer or at least have someone experienced come and school him.

Rearing is very dangerous behaviour and you are putting yourself at risk by riding him.

If you do feel the need to get on this horse and he rears on you, I would be disengaging him as soon as I had my wits about me - pull his head around towards your knee with one rein. He will be thrown off balance and will need to come down. Keep circling him until he stops and stands still, then ask to move forward again.

Once again, getting a pro is a much better, and safer, idea.

8. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

definately get an experienced professional to help with this one. There are too many possible causes both from teh horse and possibly from your handling to be able to use forum info.

Find a great trainer in your area to help you.

Rearing horses are killers. Dont get yourself hurt.

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Please............from this and your posts on this horse previously please please get yourself some lessons

Learning some general horsemanship skills will take you and this horse a long way

10. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

he gets a biscut of hay in the morning, and 1 scoop of horse cubes and 3 scoops of wheaten chaff at night and gets worked 2-3 times per week

yep hes the one that went over im not riding him at the moment as i dont want to hurt him nor myself. I have a expericend handler comming to see what she can do with him on the weekend so keeping my fingers crossed.

i have had my handling looked at by my insturstuor and she said it looked goood and i am giving him very clear insturstions on what i want. :)

11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Ditto. Take you and your horse to a facility that will teach both of you!!

I cannot see any great pleasure in owning and riding a horse like this.....you may as well be riding free-style motocross or base jumping!

Horses are dangerous even when they are behaving themselves..........

12. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

i do get regualr lessons on him :) and i do have general horsemanship skills

13. MyShadowfax

OK so if he's the same horse I was thinking of it kind of changes things a bit. In your original post you stated that he had only been doing it for a few weeks, whereas that show was months ago and was a rearer back then.

In my opinion he has some issues and a rearing pattern has already developed, for whatever reason.

You need to get this horse to a professional trainer to salvage any sort of future riding career with him. When he gets back from the trainer, then start lessons with him, but I think you need guidance with this horse.

There is no pride lost with sending a dangerous horse to a trainer when they are clearly too much for you to handle - which whether you realise it or not he certainly is.

14. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

yep he most defenitly is WAY too much for me to handle, at the show it was due to he had a very angrey rider (not me) and his saddle did not fit him which was his previous owners fault. i am looking into sending him to a trainer.

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

By the sounds of it he had a rider that was demanding he behave so he upped the level and flipped over. The fact is he shouldn't have been thinking about rearing at all with anyone.

Either he goes to a trainer who will give him knowledge and respect that he will give to every rider, or he's of no use to anyone, least of all a girl owner/rider.
    Sometimes despite loving them they arn't the right horse........and it takes a very wise and brave owner to make the hard decisions.

16. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

i really do hope that ur not suggesting i sell him.....he is MUCH worse for others i am going to send him to a trainer asap!

17. MyShadowfax

I think this is definitely the key thing you need to look at - excessive dangerous behaviour. When I think about it, when my horse is being EXTREMELY naughty, the worst he has ever done is throw in a little pigroot.

18. MyShadowfax

If he is so dangerous then I really don't think EVP would suggest you sell him, and it would be very irresponsible for you to do this anyway because of his issues someone could (and probably would) get hurt.

There are other places people send horses like this. Sad yes, but sometimes necessary.

19. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

that is all he used to do when i rode him he got punished for it everytime but he is getting rediculs

20. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

that is one place he is NOT going im sorry id rather just have him as a paddock orniment i love him WAY too much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.