Hay substitute in ponys diet

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by MiaGG, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MiaGG

MiaGG New Member

Hi!
    I used to feed my horse hay morning and night, but after a bout of colic from green hay, he's now on 6 scoops of Lucerne chaff in the morning and 2 scoops of Hygain Ice and 4 scoops of Lucerne hay for dinner. He'd getting minimal grass ATM
    He's VERY hungry!! And we are going through a lot of feed!
    I'm looking at different hard feeds and adding oaten chaff - is there anything else you would recommend??
    The horse is a 4yo welshie gelding in average work - doing pony club and starting shows next year.
    TIA!!
    :)*

2. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Can you soak the hay, or get a different type of hay/straw? Something like barley straw?

3. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

You could try Maxi Soy, it is high in fibre and I find it good for my oldie.

4. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

So why exactly did he get colic?? Lucerne is far greener and richer than green hay if he aint used to it! :rolleyes:

Welshies are typically great doers and don't need hard feeding.

5. MiaGG

MiaGG New Member

Thankyou Noelle I will have to try maxisoy!
    He got colic because he was bolting his feed as well as having hay that wasn't dry enough.

6. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

Can you feed him in a haynet, if you can get some of the greedy steed small holed nets, I have had same problem so decided to try these nets and now instead of my boy scoffing his breakfast down in about 1hr it takes him 2-3 hrs.

If he is bolting his hay he will most likely also be bolting his chaff feed - to stop that place large rocks in his feed bin to slow him down.

7. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

As above, or get him some netted late cut low sugar meadow hay. High roughage, low nutrient. Or soak his hay and feed in small hole net. Lack of roughage through feeding only infrequent hard feeds could predispose to colic too.

8. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Fibrebeet?

Or small holed hay nets?

My HighlandTB gelding coliced because as long as it looks good, it goes into his tummy. That included sand, weeds, trees etc. *rolleyes*

He's now on 24/7 access to a round bale of meadow hay (introduced slowly, hour at a time till he was not going to guts himself!) and is a lot better for it.

My pregnant Highland gets stabled at night off the hay roll and gets speedibeet instead as she has less risk of foundering on that than all the hay!

9. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

What the blazes is green hay :confused: I'm guessing it's not lucerne. Is it like silage?

Honestly for a 4 year old Welshie go to good grassy hay in a slow feeder hay net. In my opinion there is no good alternative to hay other than pasture. Horses need that roughage not only for their guts but their teeth as well.

10. MiaGG

MiaGG New Member

Green Lucerne hay!!
    Ive always been told that Lucerne's the way to go but definitely not grassy hay because over here its like someone's lawn!! Will try and get some roughage kind of hay.
    I've also heard stuff like speedibeet is good too...

11. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ooooooh right! Yeah I grew up feeding horses pretty much only lucerne hay too but then in the Southern Riverina District of NSW it was super cheap to buy and readily available and unbelievable quality. You can get some really cruddy grass hay but then there's some really good grass hay out there too. Just a case of checking it out and seeing what different produce stores have available.

Or like the others have said..... soak it. We used to hose a bale at feed up time in the afternoon then stick a hessian sack on top of the bale and soak that then leave it over night and feed it the next day. Horses loved it.

12. MiaGG

MiaGG New Member

Gonerama, I'm from a bit lower down than you!!
    I'm thinking the way to go is buying some grassy roughage kind of hay and then getting some speedibeet and keeping on giving Hygain ice.
    Probably would still soak the hay as a precautionary note?...

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Lower down than me in regards to the Southern Riverina or the NT?

I hail from Tocumwal NSW :)

14. MiaGG

MiaGG New Member

I come from the hunter region - around Dungog/Maitland area