Hay in floats

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Flyfree, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Shiralee

Shiralee Well-known Member

I put hay in the float for them, they are not loading cos there is hay in there they loading cos thats what i want them to do lol so its not a bribe or a rewrd its just something for them to munch on on the journey, but they usually have scoffed it all on the way there o on the way home they dont get any haha so i supose the correct answer would be " half the time they have hay "

2. mav

mav Well-known Member

i used to do it all the time but then got out of the habit when in brissie and the hay was frigging expensive and mav would throw most of it on the floor rather then eat it!

3. Quackers

Quackers New Member

My two geldings will float with or with out hay, but they are much happier with something to chew on (especially on 2-3 hour trips.) :)
    But a friend told me about the choking story just before i was about to float my 1yr old filly for the first time (my first time floating her, she had floated previously) :unsure: so i was worried about that and didnt give her any hay, so she got so bored and chewed on the chest bar, and it was only a 20minuet trip! :lol: lol but it was a hired float lol thankfully the lady wasnt bothered, But i will defiantly be giving her hay in the future! **)

4. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

I put hay in the float for a simply fact that cricket gets bored and it keeps her entertained and its easier to grab the hay bag out of the float and put it on the side of the float at shows i dont think she sees it as a reward more like a right ( tad spoilt)

5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Always feed in the float. Why the hell wouldn't you?
    So what, horse goes in float coz there is food, I don't see what the problem is, horse goes in float, everyone wins!
    I prefer to hard feed in the float, and if they finish then that's it, they chill out til the end of the trip, just like I feed them in the stable and they have to wait til morning to get out.

All my horses (bar the weanling - still learning) self load.

6. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I usually have a hay bag in the float. But if it's not there, my horses are fine with that.

Heading to a show early (considering I'm usually about 3-4 hours away from most shows) then they get a small hard feed as their breakfast and they'll always have hay then.

Their choice to eat it.

My highland mare has been known to eat two fat biscuits of hay in an hour in the horse float.

So she is rationed in there :p

7. mav

mav Well-known Member

now im back here - yes i feed in the float. for no reason other then the fact if its more then a 20min drive i want him to do something and chill out. not that he is a bad floater without it i just feel bad that not only am i restricting his movement he cant do anything either!! this way i feel better - i dont think he cares either way (although if you ask him i never feed him and hes starving away :p )

8. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

Have always had hay in the float. For some it's a little bit of a bribe, others it is purely for boredom. We used to go down to a friends place in Queanbeyan (about 2 1/2 hours drive from where we were) and one weekend when we went to leave we took too long chatting, so Taffy munched away on his hay - by the time we left and got on the freeway he was pretty much finished and kicked and stomped the whole way home :dry:

If it's only a short trip I'm not fussed, he's not on long enough for it to 'click', but anything longer and he has to have hay or he loses the plot. Bottomless pit that one.

9. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

i went to some clinic on travelling horses long distance and i think they recomended lucern hay as the best thing for the respiratory system. apparently reduces the chances of getting respiratory issues??? but they were talking interstate travelling.

I like to give mine a bit of hay just to help keep him occupied :)but if i dont have any hay and its only a short trip i dont bother

10. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

I never use to often but with Barney I go to henty fortnightly and it's a 10in trip but he's impatient and paws so I give him oaten and he's perfectly fine waiting. But usually paws up the driveway and annoying me! But not today! He was too tired to after our hoon down the beach :) that'll learn him. I don't care about the mess from the hay Barney always leaves me with more to cleanup then hay, the hay is easy the dinosaur poo not too easy