Hay in floats

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Flyfree, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

Just wondering peoples opinions on whether you should put hay in a float when floating your horse ??

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Depends upon how far you're travelling and what you're doing when you get there.

For trips of an hour or so I don't bother but any longer than that and yep, I don't mind giving them something to munch on although going to and from Darwin (3hrs) I never bothered with a haybag due to travelling through Kakadu National Park.

I did 6 days (3500ks) on the road with a horse back in June and about to do 6 days on the road (3700ks) with my big Thoroughbred. The first trip I gave the horse a hay bag and besides giving him something to munch on it also gave him a toy to play with when he got bored once we hit the smoother roads on the Barkly Highway (kept us rather amused seeing in the rear view mirror a horse twirling a haybag around and then cracking it when the hole was on the wrong side when he wanted a bite to eat :p ) . This trip I'll give my horse a haybag, it's just too long a trip not to give him something to nibble on.

3. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I do ';' doesn't matter to me the distance, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have a haynet in on a short trip.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^ I dont care if my horse learn the road rule....I just want him to be chillaxed as possible on the trip.

Interesting note - I removed the side canvas panels this weekend as they were looking SOOOOOOO daggy. (im very vain of course - lol)

The horse was MUCH happer in the float. Was really pleased and looking around, wasnt interested in the hay at all....he normally attacks it like a trooper.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. tollygunge

tollygunge New Member

I know it sounds like such a cop out answer, but I think it depends on the horse. My guy doesn't usually touch his hay if I put it in, and is still chilled and hangs out nicely in the back.. though if I'm honest I haven't floated him more than 20-30 minutes **)
    While I've only done it a couple of times, a mineral lick has also been something nice for him on our short trips. That saves a clean up afterwards as well ;)
    Having that said, I can completely understand some horses would need something to keep them occupied/chilled.

6. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I don't mind.

If I know the two horses are very dominant over food I prefer not to (incase they fight).. If it's only a 2 minute trip I rarely bother.
    Longer trips I put one in.. I think as long as they'll happily float with and without hay it doesn't matter.

I know some people who won't use it (for risk of choke)..
    And some horses which are a PITA if they don't have a hay bag.

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Mine always have a hay bag up front :) If they choose to eat it, well then good if not, it's their choice.
    I agree with Eoroe about the 'chillaxing', particulary with my mare. I've learnt with her that whether or not she's eating is a good indicator of how stressed she's getting. I watch her through the floats front window and I know that if she stops eating, it means she's getting pretty wound up !

8. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

I agree it does depend on the horse. I don't with my two, but I've never floated them with hay and so they don't know what they're missing. They both float well and are interested in looking out the window at their surroundings or having a chat with each other. If I was going longer than an hour I would probably put hay in, but haven't needed to yet.

Plus, no hay = less mess to clean up.:)

9. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I routinely float my mare for 3-4 hours and she's never had hay :eek:
    She sometimes gets a small hard feed in her bucket that's clipped up the front of the float, but not often. She floats happily :)

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I supply hard feed and hay and keep the the float stocked to top up along the way. Never had issues :). If the horses run out they don't paw or move about either.

11. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I'm a feeder, my nags have hay in front of them 24/7, float included. Big boy only eats when we stop for fuel or at traffic lights *#) but he's got the choice.

Better nibbling a hay net than nibbling on my float!!!!!!!

12. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

In an open float or one with gaps at the sides I dont, because I worry about hay blowing around and getting in their eyes and just generally being not very pleasant for them.

In a standard, closed in float - I do for a long trip (3 hours plus), but I dont bother if its only a short trip (1 to 2 hours).

In the gooseneck, no one gets hay. We travel around a fair bit in the gooseneck and just stop for maybe 20 mins every 3 to 4 hours and let everyone off on the side of the road somewhere to have a bit of a pick of grass. They usually like to have a big piddle at this stage too (they are experienced travellers, they all hold on until we stop, then all 4 stretch out and have a wee together, very funny to see, 2 people on the side of the road holding 4 horses which are all having a piddle, lol) :D

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

That's why you leave fly masks on ;)

14. stormie

stormie Well-known Member

I don't float with feed,for the reason i need to know my horses are going to get on the float in an emergancy without

15. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

I never feed in the float. They shouldnt need food for a float trip long or short. I like that mine dont need food to float. I know a few stories of horses choking as they didnt have access to water. We dont eat a meal without drinking to help it down. I know if i dont it feels horrible. Plus less mess :)*

16. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Mine all self load with or without food.
    Having a hay net up front isn't the catalyst to them loading. It's the training they've had that makes that difference ;)

17. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

agreed with Zaza :) both my boys self load and blitz wont come off float til asked and his hay he pretty much pulls out bag rather than eat much but its for his enjoyment hehe

18. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Mine all go on and off the float as i ask, if we are on an early morning trip i will often put a feed bag in there with the rest of their breaky, sometimes a hay bag sometimes not.

There are some people who say dont put feed in with them etc, they might get choke. if mine get choke and all die before the end of the trip - well that is just really bad luck!

19. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

its kinda like dummies for babies it all comes down to experiances people have had and personal choice...

if i remember mine get a hay net, sometimes they eat it sometimes they dont...

i could have all the treats in the world on my float but if billy aint gonna load, he aint gonna load LOL

20. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Mine are always full.......you've got no chance trying to bribe them onto a float - they are too well fed and clever for that :p

In reality...it is more of a habit of mine than a logical reason.

The choke reasoning - heck....my horses dont walk around with a bottle of water with them when grazing dry pasture in summer....having seen choke a number of times - Im pretty sure I would be aware of it if it happened, AND being on a float is the best place for them - Id head straight to the Vet **)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011