Hay Cubes! A complete replacement for hay and chaff! Coming soon to WA!

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Horsewest, Jul 23, 2008.

1. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I pay at MOST $5 a bale!!!! yes I have to drive a half hour or more most times and yes I have to load it myself and yes I have to buy bulk but when you add fuel and time with the cost of the hay$2 to $5 a bale its well worth it... and now I know stockfeeders prices I think I will continue going to the farmer lol

2. abi

abi Well-known Member

hi there, hay cubes sound great, if you are on the road competing alot they would definatly have the advantage over bales. had something similar in the uk years ago but i dont recall them being to popular, i am abit old fashioned and love to see the horses tucking intto a lovely big haynet/bag. i may give them a go depending on the cost...:) . will give anything a go once

3. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hi Everyone,

Quick update! You may or may not have seen on the news the other day, but the big hay processing company which makes the feed for Hay Cubes in SA burnt down to the ground the other day!

So Hay Cubes are now going to be made and manfactured in WA! Which should substantially cut down the price as there is no huge freight costs from the East.

I will have pricing shortly.

4. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Wow that would have been a big fire!!!

But terrific that they will be making them here....we have access to the best hay I reckon that will make the best cubes!

I would certainly look at getting them to take away on trips and to shows.

Keep us posted!

5. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I must say if I could get hay like that I wouldn't be so quick to look at alternatives either!! Sadly I can't though, so look forward to more news about the hay cubes!! Hopefully they aren't just all oaten/wheaten now that they are WA made....
    Cheers!

Danni

6. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

That's sad about the fire, but good that it will be manufactured over here!

I would defently be interested in it.. Though I think I would provide normal hay with it too - bit of both?

7. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Definitely I think there is a justified market for this feed and my ears are pricked...

But surely long stemmed roughage aids the maintenance level sand movement through the gut which is so necessary to our horses on WA soil types?

-and ditto Smash and Slipstream....

Perhaps we don't want it to entirely replace hay as a fundamental part of the horses diet?.....

;)

8. sil

sil Gold Member

The hay doesn't go through the horse's gut as footlong straws, the horses chew it up first into pieces about the same size as what appears to be in the hay cubes... ;)

9. lhuband

lhuband Guest

sounds very interesting as i feed lots of hay and chaff!
    i wonder if she will eat it? she is very fussy she wont eat compressed hay!
    let us know how you go id def like to try a bag!

10. sil

sil Gold Member

Any news on availability?

11. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hey everyone,

I have been speaking to the supplier, but apparently they are having real trouble finding a cubing machine to make the hay cubes after the one is SA burnt to the ground(they tried making Haycubes on a pelleting machine (different to a cubing machine) here in WA, but apparently it wouldn't bind unless they added something like a grain, which would defeat the purpose of the product). I have been told a new cubing machine is around $700k from the US :(

Anyway, they have said they are not giving up yet, so fingers crossed, as soon as I know more you will read it on stockies!