Hay Cubes! A complete replacement for hay and chaff! Coming soon to WA!

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Horsewest, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hi Kintara,

I the best thing would be for you to get a few ppl together and get a pallet sent up at a time (40 bags). We are looking at sending it to country areas. Just need to work out the freight. Who are the main companies that service your areas and I can make some enquiries?

2. sil

sil Gold Member

Any idea of purchase price on a pallet?

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

HW, if the feed is coming in from over east, wont it pass through Kal, cant a pallet of the stuff be dropped of in Kal? Sold on from there etc?

4. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

if my calculations are correct we'd get about 50 bags at a time, if a pallet is 40 though we would probably get a pallet at a time....any idea on the cost of that?

5. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hi Guys,

I don't have a price until I can get the freight sorted.

If anyone has any idea on where we could get competitive freight on a full truck (24 tonne) from SA to WA, please let me know.

Sarah, pallets are 40 bags.

Sharaway not sure if they would offload any along the way.

6. sil

sil Gold Member

Try Toll IPEC, that's who we use at work for all our bulk goods transport.

7. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Gosh everyone comes here I think! A pallet might be the way to go! Some of the main transport companys are Hamptons, Toll IPEC and other Toll's, Coastal Midwest Transport, quite a few I think.

Be good if the mob coming from SA came to Kal to LOL! Some do, but many are also on express to Perth.

Be very interested in a pallet price when you get one.
    Cheers

Danni

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Not to rain on anyones parade but I certainly would not be feeding anything that has pea straw in it as it is a big no no for horses can cause colic that is why it is used for mulching.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  9. wubby

wubby New Member

There is absolutely NO reason that Pea Straw and Hay is not suited as part of your horses diet and it most certainly does NOT cause colic.

see link below.

http://www.horseproblems.com.au/Joh...ays and Roughages Table November 2006 PDF.pdf

10. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

i think that these hay cubes sound really good and would be really easy to take to show etc ... but i would have to find out a bit more etc before i was sold on the idea i think

11. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Tell that to my horse who got colic after eating pea straw, that is why it is only sold as bedding hay NOT FEED HAY. Everyone has their opinions and I definately will not be feeding it.#( Also I believe that another stockie member had a bad experience with pea straw from memory all her horses got sick after eating it.

12. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Pea straw/hay can harbour aflatoxins, which can make horses very sick or even lead to death.

13. wubby

wubby New Member

14. sil

sil Gold Member

Any news yet on cost per pallet?

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

so how does a horse get long stem roughage?
    if we keep replacing what the horse is DESIGNED to eat, we are only going to end up with more digestive problems.
    dont we have enough horses with digestive problems already??

16. sil

sil Gold Member

My lot have grass so I can afford to switch to a processed hay/chaff, just interested to see 'how much' :p

17. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

I like the idea but im a penny pincher and not to proud to admit it so I would have to know a guesstimate price before I would put my hand up to try some:D someone must have a idea what it would cost??? $20...$30....$40...$50...$1000 hahahahaha we could all say yeh sounds great but find out at 50 bucks a bag we would rather lug hay bales around :)

18. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Hmmm......yeh I already asked about the lack of long stem roughage??

When we can still buy a good bale for $5 - $6, cubes still would not be cost effective for me.

For shows or teethless oldies I can really see the benefit. But not for most other horses.

Drought situations yes, but then the low supply of raw products to make the cubes will become a problem anyway!

19. madison

madison Well-known Member

If you're buying your hay from the stockfeeds in the metro area then you are paying between $11 and $14 dollars so it may be a viable option. I also have a pony with no teeth so it could be good for him.

20. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

One of my contact is pretty definate that WA quarantine wont let the cubes across the border so will be interesting to see if they are correct. They had apparently enquired prevously and were told no go as it is a hay product and not allowed.

Would be interesting to see what some one like John Kohnke says about the benefits of feeding hay cubes compared to straight forward hay.

Think I will stick to the excellent quality straight from farm hay that I get every year as at least that way I can ensure that i am feeding top quality hay to my ponies.