Hay Cubes! A complete replacement for hay and chaff! Coming soon to WA!

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Horsewest, Jul 23, 2008.

1. madison

madison Well-known Member

My horse is as fat as a pig on Compressed Hay so bring on the Hay Cubes much less hassle and weight. My toothless pony might even be able to chew them because he certainly can't chew hay (someone forgot to tell him though):))

2. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Looking at the costs to other states, I'm guessing somewhere around $27-30/bag, would this be the ballpark figure?

3. shadowrider

shadowrider Well-known Member

also remember that it said its suppose to replace chaff as well so you wouldnt have to buy chaff..... im also very interested depending on cost**) havent got much storage space and the horses waste soooooo much hay lol, and also we have lots of sand here so if hay cubes can be fed in a feed bin they wouldnt get much sand in their gut, hopefully haha.

4. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

If you check on some other forums on the east coast, it is proving to be very popular. I'd already made enquiries direct with the manufacturer but unless they can bring down the cost of the freight it may be quite expensive here. Too, there is the added factor of where the closest feed merchant to stock it is otherwise you'd use up any cost advantages in fuel especially if you are only getting a couple of bags. The best solution all round would be for someone to start making it locally under license to the manufacturer which is what had to happen with Sweetbulk before it took off here.

Mamma Mia has just converted her horses to them in Qld and swears by it.

I can also see a huge market for show horses because you could just chuck a bag or a bucket full in the float or the boot of the car and NO MESS. Plus with the water added you'd be ensuring that your horses remained hydrated at shows which can be a problem with some horses. I'm also interested in it for my IR / Cushings mare - the manufacturer gives it to her IR mare and simply oversoaks it then drains off the excess much as you do with chaff and hay but if it remains tastier than soaked chaff and hay poor Ivy might be happier to eat it ......:D

5. sil

sil Gold Member

As far as I know export hay has a lower moisture content about 12% compared to normal hay which is up to about 20% but the 'compressed' part of it comes from compressing the hay flat not so much squeezing the water out, so the stalks are flat instead of round to waste less space (if that makes sense).

Like Sharaway said I'm trying to look at this as a whole picture, I get about 10% wastage and use the wastage to make compost. I feed 6kg of hay a day per horse and 10% gets wasted. That makes 5.4kg the horse actually eats and at 20% moisture that is 4.3kg of dry matter.

The hay cubes are 12% moisture and no wastage so that is feeding equivalent of about 4.9kg a day.

So hay 6kg/day vs hay cubes 4.9kg/day on a dry matter basis.

My hay costs $3 a day so the hay cubes would need to be at about $18-$19 a 30kg bag to break even.

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Sil, a good friend whom is a hay contractor has read this thread.

They said: Hay is never ever that high in moisture content if its anywhere near 14% it spontaniously combusts.

7. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

I'm feeding our horses 12kg of hay/chaff a day so what does that mean in hay cubes?

Also, with the hay it takes my horses a while to get through it (e.g., their breakfast hay lasts for a good part of the day). How quickly would horses eat hay cubes? I wonder if they would finish it much quicker than they would their hay, and then left with nothing to graze on until tea time (they arent on grass at the moment so I like them to have plenty of hay to almost last until the next feed).

8. sil

sil Gold Member

Thanks for that :) I'm trying to err on the side of too much than not enough, good to know the % is lower than that!

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol thats alright, i leave that side of it up to the OH & my dad with the hay we grow, lol.
    I just feed it to the horses, easier thing! :) **)

10. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

i will say i am quite interested too :)

tho i think i will need to see it in 'person' so to speak and see it made up etc :)

11. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

Very good point Noelle.

I like my racehorses/spellers to have something to nibble on ALL the time, even when they are in paddocks.

No food to munch on is asking for ulcers.

Eating Hay produces a heck of a lot more saliva to neutralise stomach acid than regular feed.

So i too would be concerned about the horses 'wolfing' it down and then having nothing else to eat until next feed time.

I really like the 'idea' of it though and i'm sure it may suit some situations.

(off i go to rake up leftover hay...) lol

12. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

As a guide, for evey Kilo of hay and chaff you are feeding, you feed 0.5 - 0.75kg of dry weight hay cubes.

Remaani/Sharaway, I do not have all the details on the pictures, nor did I say that they were fed haycubes alone. However I know a great deal of horses personally that have been in very poor condition and fattened up on ad lib hay alone. A much safer alternative for neglect cases which to start with wouldn't be able to handle the higher energy/higher protein feeds.

Sil, According to research I have found the following on hay moisture content (all copied and pasted from site) so it seems its a little higher than the 14% suggested:

*To avoid hay fires, small, rectangular bales should not exceed 18 to 22 percent moisture.

*Wet hay is more likely to lead to a spontaneous combustion fire than dry hay. If hay is put into a barn or stack when it has more than about 22 percent moisture, not only does the hay lose forage quality, but also it has an increased risk of spontaneous combustion.

*If the hay crop is put into the mow above 20-25% moisture content, spontaneous combustion may occur.

*Thus hay baled at 18-20% moisture as small
    rectangular bales will generally store safely

*Small rectangular bales should be baled at 20% moisture or less to keep molding and heating to a minimum.

*To minimise any danger in the first instance hay should be stored when it is relatively dry. The larger the bale the lower the moisture content should be. Moisture content should be approx 18-20% for smaller bales

13. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Here, go straight to the source and ask the question

For any other queries including feeding, pricing, and distribution please phone Mel 0421 807 277.

14. sil

sil Gold Member

It looks good so far and thanks for the links; like I said just weighing up pros and cons. Have 4 horses here right now and soon will be 6, so I have to do research before changing diet - can become very expensive very fast. :)

My calculations say I feed 18% less of these cubes to get the same eaten weight fed as hay. Just need to do the maths now on DE at home.

I gotta say after emptying the hay shed last night, removing pallets and sweeping out the old hay that the thought of nice clean bags sounds really tempting!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  15. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

HorseWest, would the shorter fibre length of the cubes pose any problems digestion wise??? :confused:

I have always thought long stem roughage was better and safest to feed horses.:)*

Reducing chewing time reduces saliva production etc etc..........????:}

16. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hi Caroline,

As far as I am aware they are quite a long chop. According to what I have read on the net, most hay cubes are about 50mm x 50mm and quite fibrous, so they should still have to chew and produce saliva. I cannot say that for sure though as the first lot have not yet arrived in WA so I haven't seen them. I will ring the suppliers tomorrow with any querys. Keep them coming!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  17. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

Sleeknstylish & Caroline I am with you on this one. Horses salivate while eating hay and would be cautious in feeding this as they would be standing around in stables all night with nothing to eat and keeping that gut active.

However it would be a good product to take to shows that stipulate no hay on the grounds.

18. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Why on earth would I feed processed Wheat Straw, Pea Hay and Pea Straw etc, if good quality hay is available??? It will cost you more for sure lol. I would not feed it, unless nothing else is availabel, like draught situation.;) :))

19. sil

sil Gold Member

I guess for the same reason we feed chaff; to bulk out the ration and provide nutrition without adding heat through oats.

20. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I'm REALLY interested in the Hay Cubes! Hay is very hard to get here, from the feed store it's around $15/bale. Even if a few of us get together and organise a truck of hay I have storage issues etc, plus it's not a huge amount cheaper with transport.

However I do think I would run into the same problems of getting hay cubes here :(

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008