Hay Cubes! A complete replacement for hay and chaff! Coming soon to WA!

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Horsewest, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Horsewest is proud to be the Distributor for Hay Cubes in WA!

We are currently finalising order details, freight etc. More information on pricing and arrival dates will be available shortly.

I would love to hear from anyone who has an expression of interest in the product. Pre-orders are also welcome.

Freight is the biggest killer in WA so the more we can get over here at a time the cheaper the hay cubes will be!

For more information go to Hay Cubes! An alternative horse feed to hay and chaff.

or call Louise 0412 427 183

or email info@horsewest.com

Wholesale enquiries welcome.

Now for some info on hay cubes!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cut feed cost by at least 50% with Hay Cubes!

Complete replacement for hay and chaff!

One 30kg bag of dry Hay Cubes is equivalent to approx 4 Bales of Hay!!

GRAIN FREE!
    Nutritionally tested!
    Export Quality!

Hay Cubes are a highly compressed cube comprising of a mixture of Hays.

Contains Approximately 70%:
    - Oaten Hay
    - Frosted Wheaten Hay
    - Wheat Straw
    - Pea Hay
    - Pea Straw.

And approximately 30%:
    -Lucerne Hay (predominately the leaf)
    -Vetch
    -Clover

The benefits of feeding a high roughage diet of predominately cereal hays has
    been highlighted by well recognized equine nutritionists for many years now.

ADVANTAGES
    Aside from the financial savings, Hay Cubes offer a vast variety of benefits that traditional hay and chaff do not. These include:

Storage Space
    One 30 kg bag of Hay Cubes requires less storage space than a bale of hay or bag of chaff. Hay Cubes are mess free and
    bagged for your convenience. Hay Cubes are also easy to carry around when travelling to shows and events.

No Product Wastage
    Unlike hay, Hay Cubes are easily fed from a feeder, they don't blow around your paddocks in the wind, and they don’t end up trampled into the ground or used by your horse as a toilet.

Dust Free
    Beneficial for horses prone to respiratory infections and allergies.

Increased Hydration
    The water in hydrated Hay Cubes increases your horse's water intake, benefiting the kidneys and resulting in better hydration and digestion.

Palatable
    Hay cubes are easily accepted into the diet as a replacement for hay and chaff.

Older Horses
    who have minimal teeth and who aren't able to consume roughage in the traditional form of grass and hay benefit tremendously from the introduction of Hay Cubes into their diet.

Grain Free
    Non-heating so ideal for fizzy/nervous horses. Also ideal for miniatures and ponies!

Hay Cubes are suitable for horses and ponies of all ages, sizes and disciplines.

The compressing process dramatically reduces moisture content and weight therefore 1 bag of Hay Cubes dry is
    equivalent to approx 4 Bales of hay and can be used as a complete replacement for Hay and Chaff.

Hay Cubes provide an exceptional source of roughage, are highly palatable and because you feed them soaked they
    encourage better chewing and digestion of additional grains.

[​IMG]

Nutritional Analysis

Average Feed Quality:

- Protein - 13%
    - Metabolisable Energy - 8.8 MJ/kg
    - Digestible Dry Matter 60%
    - Moisture - 12%
    - Relative Feed Value - 96%

Directions
    Hay Cubes are Suitable as a Complete Replacement for chaff and hay and can be fed in conjunction with traditional and
    commercial feed supplements such as oats, pellets etc.

As with the introduction of any new feed Hay Cubes are best introduced over a 7 to 14 day period.

Day 1 - soak approx 0.25kg cubes and mix well into existing feed.

Over the following 7 to 14 days increase the amount of Hay Cubes and reduce the amount of chaff/hay being fed until the
    desired amount is reached.

Feeding Recommendations
    Feed as a COMPLETE REPLACEMENT for Hay and Chaff.

Replace 1kg hay/chaff with 0.5 to 0.75kg dry weight Hay Cubes.

Preparation
    Hay Cubes are best fed soaked, Hay Cubes will absorb a considerable amount of water, mix at a ratio of 1kg Hay Cubes (dry
    weight) to 3.5 litres of water.

Hay Cubes can be soaked for as little as 10 mins prior to feeding and are safe to soak for longer periods, such as overnight,
    without risk of them fermenting.

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Sorry couldnt help myself... it kinda looks like horse manure. :D

Sounds interesting though.

3. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

show committees are going to love this product..no more endless cleaning up of other peoples hay

I would imagine it would be excellant to for the founder feeders (a lot easier to soak than hay)

As we live in the country it depends on the easy availablity of the product too

4. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I think for me it is going to depend on the cost.

Looks like a good way of doing things, especially for the older horses.

I didnt think Pea Hay and Pea Straw was meant to be fed to horses though?

5. sil

sil Gold Member

I don't understand how a 30kg bag can be equivalent to about 100kg of hay?

6. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

oh pick me pick me but hhhhmm postage to bunbury mite cost alot lol

7. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I feed ALOT of hay, so if you can get it to Albany I would be very interested in giving it a go. Price dependant of course. It might even be worth a trip to Perth to fill the float up with the stuff, any idea of price per back at the moment?

8. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Where are they made? Are they from within the state or over east?

9. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Sil because when they compress and dry the hay, most of the weight of hay is in the moisture not the bulk fibre.

What you are buying is the Bulk Fibre with out the water, why you have to soak it to bring it back to normal hay weight and texture.

10. Horsewest

(ssshhh remaani don't tell eveyone my secret, I'm gonna make a fortune! lol)

Delrae, that is a good point re: show committees. When soaked they are excellent feed source for miniatures/ponies that are prone to founder.

Jessitrist, the Pea straw contains more protein and calcium than other straws. However, this extra protein may be bound by fibre, making it unavailable to the horse. Therefore, the nutrient content of pea straw should be considered to be similar that of oat or wheat straw despite the higher protein content. What usually stops it being fed is the coarse texture that may discourage some horses from eating it, however in the hay cubes this is not an issue. It is a perfectly safe roughage to feed to horses and has often been fed as a substitute for lucerne. Pea hay is actually quite sweet and palatable.

Sil, what Sharaway said, when compressed it takes out the moisture content (which is most the weight) which is added back when soaked.

Sharaway, no idea on price at the moment as still sorting out freight etc. Originally the company was quoted $1000 per pallet just for freight here! Thats down to about $415 now but still damn expensive, however if we can get about 20 pallets over we can halve that again. More info on price etc shortly.

Horseslave these cubes are from S.A. there is talk of making them in WA at a later date.

Ilikehorsesdou we are looking warehousing it in WA and distributing it through stockfeed stores, so could hopefully get it there for not too much extra freight.

Any more questions let me know!

11. sil

sil Gold Member

If hay is at 20% moisture and the hay cubes are at 12% I can see why there is a difference but still 8% water content doesn't really attribute to a difference of about 70kg.

I'm not trying to pick just trying to work out 'how' they are equivalent. The price on the eastern board is quite reasonable and I'd be interested if the value comes out about the same if not better than standard hay.

From what I can see it's about $20 for 30kg of hay cubes over east and it costs me $8 for a 25kg bale of hay. There is a freight cost involved but still might come out even.

12. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

I think they look like wheetbix :D

*** Wanders off singing "Have you had your wheetbix?" to her horse ***

Sorry, nothing of note to this post - only that I think it's a good idea and once the horses are used it it it'll be very good for those which waste our expensive hay!

13. tammy07

tammy07 Well-known Member

i thought the same as u springbok hahahaha im very willing to give it a try my horses are so bad at wasting hay doesnt matter what sort what quality they waste it the only stuff they love is the export bales

14. Horsewest

The lady that distrubutes haycubes Australia wide rescues horses and she has given me some before and after shots of her horses that have been fed on hay cubes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Timber was 25yo a the time of her rescue and was also taken in the middle of winter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Horsewest

16. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

hey louise id defo be interested esp as it would be better in winter as it needs water anyway!, we usually buy 200 bales at a time for roughly $6-$7 a bay so if someone could sort of convert for me bags/prices etc hehe im not the brightest!

17. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Yes, I hate to say it out loud but we all know that it takes more than Hay Cubes alone to bring horses back from that condition.

So thats hardly going to win over us jaded lot.

However for me, the value will be in not having good hay spread for A - B and walked in, pooed on, slept on, wee'ed on, stolen by birds for nest building, you name it, I like to know that the feed I have paid for is eaten not wasted, so much of the hay I buy ends up and paddock filler, or rat bedding etc.

Its fair to say that a good 10% of hay is wasted, so I would argue to mayself that if you are paying up to 10% more for a product that has zero wastage, then you are not only no worse of, but your horse is better fed.

That's how my little mind worked it out, then there is the ease of not having to handle heavy bales, and bulk storage, I can store that stuff in drums and stop feeding the rats.The more I think about it the more its win win for me.

Add me to the I AM SERIOUSLY interested list.

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Yes i agree with you. ;)

My horses dont waste hay rolls & i go through 1 ever week & 2 ever 2/3 weeks.....

19. PPH

PPH Guest

Also very interested, will come down to cost obviously.
    I use 4 rough cut oaten and 1 lucerne per fortnight for approx $100. What would be the equivelent amount needed for hay cubes and roughly the cost?

Cheers BM

20. Noah

Noah Well-known Member

I was advised not to feed compressed bales (export hay) as I was told that when it is compressed, much of the nutrient content is lost with the moisture being compressed out of the hay. That would be of concern to me.......

I don't know much about it and haven't looked into it further, but would be interested to know...