Hay Buckets...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

When Kings in his yard for the night I prefer to give him his hay off the ground as for some reason he won't eat it (but eats it fine when he's fed in the paddock in the morning).
    So I feed it via hay net but he's taken up eating the net too. I considered a hay bag but decided I wanted something perminent and can't quite think of their name.
    Their just a normal green feed bucket but bigger with a jail rail type thing going, that you put the hay into and they eat it out of that and if it falls out it falls into the bucket. I know I've made no sense but I've surfed all the websites and can't find it. Being from the country I can't just go down to the stockfeeds and get one!

Would anyone be able to give me a quote of their price and where the sell? Also how do they attatch onto walls etc?

2. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

hey Arnie... is this what you're looking for?

Hay Feeder Bucket

They're not cheap but probably worth it...

3. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Or you could go for something like this fitted over a cheaper feed bucket...

Hay Feeder Rack

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes just like that!

5. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

hay bucket

Bullsbrook produce have them phone no. 95711591 if you ring they will give you the prices as they have several types, at least they did have last time I looked. I don't know the price and there not cheap but should last forever. Sure to get lots of replies about where else you can get them.

6. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

on a less fancy note I feed my horses hay out of those blue plastic 44 gallon drums. you just cut them in half and you have two bins, they're excellent**)

7. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Very good idea Troppo. :) They last forever.

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

As i feed whole hay rolls i dont normally use hay bins.... but fill a little bit of the bottom of the blue bins with concrete & let it set.
    It stops the neddies from throwing the bins around & chucking them over the fences etc.

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Ditto Troppo, I used to use those bendy buckets but my boys used to pick them up and throw them. The blue 44's are great:)* I f you are worried about the top edge you can splita agarden hose and run it around

What a good idea Remaani

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Only prob with that is when locked in the yard he won't eat his hay if its lower then his knee's lol.

11. rmwgirl4eva

rmwgirl4eva Well-known Member

maybe try looking in the quokka.