Hat requirements

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by The Old Grey Mare, May 20, 2003.

1. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

also heard a whisper that the insurance companies are going to make it compulsary for under 18's to wear a hard hat no matter the discipline but the adults can sign the disclaimer & wear hats as wanted.
    this being as a parent you are unable to sign your childs rights but you can sign for yourself.

2. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

i thought that was the rule any way???

hope that is the way in the warm up ring. it should also be made compulsary for out in the paddock too.

-bec-

3. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

You really would think it would be common sense to wear a hard hat, wouldn't you, considering the damage you can do in a fall.
    In saying that, as a child I always wore my hat, then as an adult became very blar-say, and would only wear a cap unless in a lesson/clinic or jumping. Unfortunately I found out the hard way, landed on hip and head (unhelmeted) on limestone track at flat out gallop. I was very very lucky, I fractured my pelvis and suffered severe concussion, could have been much worse. Consequently I wear my helmet ALWAYS now. It is a shame that we take our own lives so much for granted, and often don't realise the damage that can be done until it's done...

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

one of the eventing stewards were telling me, before hard hats became a must in eventing (caps were ok) one of the young ladies fell off, and the helmet came off b4 she hit the ground and cracked her head. she said she didn't have much of a headache, and wanted to keep going, and couldnt understand when they kept telling her to lay down and wait for the ambulance. half her brains were hanging out and she couldnt feel it.

-bec-

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Gosh thats horrible...I never ever get on a horse without a helmet...also seeing my migrans are caused by blows to the head and they have to be pretty hard ones so my 1st priority even before tacking the horse up is going and getting my helmet and atleast have it next to my horse so I don't forget!...

~§Arnie§~

6. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

im sooo used to wearing my helmet, i feel naked on a horse without it

-bec-

7. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

To be perfectly honest ever since I started riding my parents told me that if they ever caught me riding without a helmet I would never ride again and that sufficiently scared me enough in the beginning to always wear a helmet and now it is just habit. I think its important to remember that even the most "bombproof" horse can be dangerous when spooked and a helmet is just a sensible precaution

8. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

I'm with you guys... I never ever ever ride with out a helmet.

Unlike some people, I only have one head and can't grow another one when it brakes!

I've just invested in one of the eventing body protectors as well... (can never be too careful!!) mind you I feel like wearing it when I play nettball too... some people are really rough!

9. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

LOL Denny,

When i am at an event and I am getting ready for the cross country, i put on my body protector and Shane always has a smart a**e comment about the wedgie strap! hehehe.

I've always worn a helmet too, just habit now.

I tell you there are some great (well not so great - you know what i mean) stories that can be told and used as scare tactics to get riders to wear helmets.

Ness

10. slowjo

slowjo New Member

At our western club it is compulsory for under 16's to wear a helmet, other wise its totally up to you!!!

I usually ride with a helmet because ive had a few bad injuries where in one i actually cracked my helmet.

Now, ill probably start riding without a helmet in the arena because my horse is starting to behave himself, and its a soft surface, but out in the bush or in the paddock, ill use a helmet.

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Is it the Aus Standard 3838 that the helmets must be?...

~§Arnie§~

12. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

I personally would never ride without a helmet. Falling off with a helmet on you always seem to smack your head - but because you have a helmet on and it doesn't hurt /you can't feel it you never take any notice of how useful they actually are. Just recently a friend in Darwin was at a rodeo doing the barrels, her horse fell and she wasnt' wearing a helmet - the saddle horn went straight into her head. She was in intensive care for three weeks in Adelaide and we all thought she was gone. She has since pulled through but will be brain damaged for life. It is that easy. I have no idea why it is not compulsary for people riding in rodeos to wear helmets, they also seem to have no problem getting insurance either, amazes me.

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

There are so many possibilities to getting his in the head...like coming off and the horse kicks or steps on you...either way when I come off the slightest hit to my head leaves me with big migrain so if there's a crazy horse in a confined space I stay away because I've had Arnie visiously throw his head and jam mine against a wall. Its only common sence to wear a helmet and if you don't your simply a "Temporary Australian". No horse is bomb proof like people ask me "Does this pony kick" I don't say no I say "Every horse kicks" even behind a shetland I'm still causios! Anyway back to helmets...Like you say you have one head and one brain and falling off a horse can be as damaging as shaking a new born baby for two seconds...

~§Arnie§~

14. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I never used to ride in a helmet with my horse, but always with other peoples, but now I ride with a helmet all the time. I even take a helmet with me when I go to work [at the stables, dont ask why, its a horsey place...] I fell off of tristan when I wasn't wearing a helmet. I flipped right off the saddle, rolled down a hill and whacked my head on a tree, I had headaches for ever! It s not a good feeling.

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

15. Em

Em Well-known Member

An NCAS was teaching one day and at the conclusion of the lesson the student rode over to her mother took her helmet off and passed it too her mother - at that moment the horse spooked and she fell off and as she fell her head hit the rail and she was killed instantly. Just shows you don't have to riding hard and fast for a fall to have serious consequences. Fortunately for the instructor she was not found liable as the students mother had taken the helmet off her and allowed it. Makes you think though, how easy it is for something to happen.

Em

16. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i noticed in my perth royal entry papers that a hard hat is to be worn when schooling the horse in the warm up arena & on the grass area before the day begins. but afterwards, you can wear whatever hat is required by your association....

bet that will be interesting, especially during the 400 km grand parade each day.. LOL

17. Val Perkins

Val Perkins New Member

In Victoria it is compulsory for any rider at any show to wear an Australian Standard Approved Helmet, no matter if you are excersing or being judged.

They are also trying to bring in compulsory head gear for harness events and also led events, so basically if you are near a horse you need to wear a helmet.

This years Garryowen at the Melbourne Royal will be the last year you will see the bowler hat. They have brought a ruling that helmets must be worn.

18. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I would never ride without a helmet, it doesn't take much to get a bad blow to the head, even with a quiet horse. I have had a horse land on me 3 times, twice on my leg and once on my whole body, and I hate to think what might have happened if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I think making helmets compulsory while riding any horse anywhere would be a good idea, I know some view it as an invasion of privacy, but if you do fall off and get head injuries, the insurance and medical cover claims can affect more than just you and your family. But I know many people don't agree with that......