Has anyone's horses ever had a reaction to Protexin?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by KKKiroo, Jan 8, 2014.

1. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

I have given my horse 10ml of Protexin for the last 2 mornings and today (3rd day) I've come out and both back legs have blown up...

No noticeable bite marks that may have caused the swelling.

No change in feed recently (He has been on new season hay for the last 2 months)

He is sound - no signs of lameness. Will take his temperature when I get home from work. Couldnt find the themometer so had to buy a new one.

I didnt give him any protexin this morning in case it was that.

Note - reason I was giving him protexin was he has had a runny bum on and off the last 2 weeks (manure normal).

Obviously I will call the vet if I think its an issue however I just wanted peoples opinions.

Cheers

2. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

hmmm watching this...

I gave 'B' a three day course of D-Scour as couldn't get Protexin. They are the same except D-Scour has garlic. No side affects other than stinky garlic breath ;) Have just bought Protexin Paste to keep in stock.

It has been warm (up here anyway) does he swell when yarded at events? Maybe he hasn't been moving enough 'F' does when she's not moving. I swell in the heat whether I move or not :D

3. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Didn't have a problem with it in my TB gelding. I think if the horse was to have a reaction it would be several hours after the initial dose?

There is a virus that goes around my area around winter every year that we call 'fat leg virus'. Often all that will happen will be the horses will have fat hind legs (or all four, never seems to be just the fronts though) and some of them will be a bit lethargic.

If its that I believe its just an option of either let it go away on its own, or get a course of medication to help it go away, if it is that problem.

4. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

My TB has Protexin daily and has never had a problem with it. I vaguely recall someone on here having a similar problem, maybe in the last 12 months. Might be worth doing a search of stockies on fat legs.

5. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Noelle do you use the paste or oil?

6. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

Hey guys,

His legs have gone down considerably. I am aware of the same virus myyky because he has had sweeling before so I think this 'virus' may be in his system. I will put him back on the protexin next week and see what happens.

LB - he doesnt usually swell up in yards and is in a 40x40 paddock so has plenty to move about however I did move him into our grassed laneway (which is about 4x150) to encourage him to move on the grass instead of standing in his sand paddock.

A racing friend suggested putting him on bromo for a week to clear up anything he may have but as his temp is normal and the swelling is going down fast I'm not sure if its needed...

7. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Bromo! That was the thing we used to use as well when it went through the racing stables I worked at. I don't think it changed that much tbh.