Hard feed for TB

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by lozza987, Oct 31, 2013.

1. lozza987

lozza987 New Member

I have just started leasing a thoroughbred who can be quit hot sometimes, as we have decided to go part board i have to supply feed. I am not used to this as i have always been on full board, and i haven't had a TB before. What would you suggest would be the best food to put him on, he's in moderate work.
    Thanks for all your opinions :)

2. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

It will be trial and error until you can find the mix right for him. When I had a TB, I used to feed her hay, oaten chaff, lucerne chaff, coolmax (or kind and cool or claytons, dpending what I could get at the time), alkapellets and a mineral suppliment. I cant remember the amounts unfortunately.

She was quite hot, but that was also because(in part) I am a hot rider, so I also got lessons in gettingt us to both work quitely.

3. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

I have struggled for 2 years to find what works for my TB :)

He's now on Lucerne, Copra & Pony Cubes & Cell Vital.. I found simple worked best for him. I have always avoided PC being told they were heating and a bit of a rubbish feed, but decided to give them a go as a friend suggested him. A bag is $40 and lasts me over 6 weeks. He's fat and not off his head :) I also feed this in conjunction with as much wheaten hay as he'll eat.. Usually about 6 biscuits a day, he also has a grassy paddock. I found if I fed enough Oaten hay to keep weight on then he got nervous.. Before this I did feed True Gain, which worked well but was very expensive for the amount I had to feed.

4. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

I am sure you will get a few responses telling you to feed this mix or that mix as seems to be the way with feeding these days but honestly keep it simple. You shouldn't need anything fancy. Bulk hay, oaten chaff, lucerne chaff and pony cubes would be enough (adjusting the amounts depending on work load and how well he holds his weight). You will still get a beautiful shiny coat. And if you ask our farrier even pony cubes is too much if you want a quiet horse lol. He was just telling me he'd recommend taking inky off them for his first outing and just giving him plain boring feeds of chaff and hay. He said that's all he feeds his show jumpers, horses that are in full work and winning multiple shows including this years royal. They are all still healthy and look stunning. If they do start to lack in something a scoop of vitamin/mineral supplement in the feed does the job, no need for some fancy premix.

Of course there's the rumor that TBs are hard to keep weight on. Our stable sees BULK thoroughbreds every year and we've had 4 that were impossible to keep weight on. We've had more that have been harder to keep weight off! So ignore that rumor and feed your horse for the work he does and how he holds his weight. Feed for the individual not the breed :)

5. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I agree with SBB. I have always owned TB's and never had much problem with feeding. My girl at the moment is worked daily and does very well on the same diet as SBB suggests. Although she gets pony cubes it is only a handful just to give her something to fossic for in her food. I would suggest as much hay as your horse will eat and then some lucerne chaff and vitamins and that is about it. Personally I think people overcomplicate feeding, keep it simple and as close to natural as you can.

6. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure if there is that much of an issue getting TBs fat, as there is getting them FAT and SANE.

I know plenty of hack fat Tbs, unfortunately an awful lot that are over fed and under worked and whose behavior is pretty bad..

7. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

I agree Lucksta. I also wonder how often it is not food or fitness but actually lack of training in good manners on the part of the horse and or handler that is the problem.

8. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

yep. that is exactly what i fed my sensitive & reactive tb for years and it worked great. just increased or decreased the lucerne/pony cubes. when i wanted to add a little more "oomph" to his coverage, i added Full Fat Soy & whey powder.
    i fed pony maintenance rather than pony cubes too.

with my two current riding horses i've switched to lupins because they're cheaper - i only feed a very small amount & a bag lasts for ages.

9. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I feed my TB the following -
    24/7 access to a meadow hay roll

Per feed:
    500g (a 5L supplement bucket) of Oaten Chaff
    1kg Lucerne (2x L buckets)
    2 cups black sunflower seeds (can't remember weight)
    2 cups flaky bran (can't remember weight)
    40g Rosehips

Per day:
    1 teaspoon (15g) each of Dolomite, garlic, kelp, brewers yeast, copper sulfate
    80ml Apple Cider Vinegar
    50ml Cold Pressed Linseed Oil

3x/week he gets a 2:1 mix of French White Millet and Linseed porridge.

It sounds like a lot, but there is not a lot of grass where we are. I feed a lot of roughage to keep his gut moving and clear any sand out of him. He is happy, healthy, SANE and his coat is iridescent - even through a thick layer of dirt. I also have no problems keeping weight on him.

This is him...
    At Dryandra
    [​IMG]

At the Stuart Tinney Clinic held at Makayla Wood's place a month or so ago..
    [​IMG]

And finally, having dinner after being ridden..
    [​IMG]

10. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

I'll try to remember to get a few pics of my TB, but I agree with Lauren and Blitz - really simple is best **)

I used to heap the chaff/lucern/grains and/or pellets, until I changed agistments and they gave me a fairly surprised look when I told them what I fed :p

We cut it right down, and he gets just your basic chaff/lucern/pony cubes morning and night, plus his minerals and hay. He's also on pasture 24/7 :)

I've really never seen him look so good on something so simple! If I ever do want to add more to his feed, I'll just up the PCs or add a little lupin (which I have found works well for him).