Handy Pony

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by beccy, Jul 16, 2003.

1. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Im looking for ideas to build a handy pony course at the end of the month for 12yrs & under. I have never designed one before, and would love any ideas on what things have you seen or that you would like put in? or wouldnt put in!

-bec-

2. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Jumping a jump through those fly streamers , seen that done before ! All the obvious like carrying plastic bags , walking over tarps or wooden bridges , if the kids are old enough , mounting and dismounting just to test wether or not the pony stands still for them . Opening a gate and going through it without the child getting their leg swiped off ! Cantering a circle around cones ( some ponies LOVE running off the circle in the other direction ) ! The ideas are endless Im sure you will have A LOT of fun !!
    [​IMG]
    What is the course going to be for ?

3. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i would make sure the insurance for this event covers all of the obstacles you are thinking of using.
    the AQHA has banned walking over tarps in trail courses these days. I know that this is probably not the same as a kids course, but best to check to make sure that is OK.

stuff i have seen in an obstacle course :

posting letters
    loading a horse onto the float
    water obstacle to walk through

4. dressage2003

dressage2003 New Member

Ive seen one that had a small jump, riding through the flappy door things, picking a tennis ball off a cone and putting it on another cone & picking a big blue container off one 44 gallon drum and putiing it on top of another-this was very scarey for some ponies though.

Opening and closing gates is a good idea as is dismounting and mounting (maybe on the off side??)

5. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

thanx 4 your ideas, they're brilliant
    its for a pony club event. HPC club has most of the gear necessary. im trying to fit the theme in with x-mas in july, so to pick up a back of santa toys etc, and a hay bale with ribbon on as a present to jump. oooo mabey instead of walking under a delli curtain, mabey walk under a branch of misseltoe? or something else xmassy.
    the ramp is only for the oldies, as i think it was last year too many ponies fell off because of the rain. (and i wouldnt put it in) tarps are still in.
    i want to put a chimney in, but not sure what 'activity' to do with it

-bec-

6. sjb

sjb New Member

Could you drop a small sack of 'toys' down the chimney? I guess that would work if it was easy to retrieve .... sounds like fun. Enjoy!!

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

i have seen one where you set up some trot poles into a track
    _______
    _______
    and the kids have to back the horses through the poles, the point is to go straight!
    There is the clothes line, the pillow case full of empty cans...etc!
    Handy Pony courses were always fun!

8. appylover

appylover New Member

what about rding with feed picking it up and going around a drum and putting it in a bucket usually the horses r very distracted by this and this makes you know which pony is a real handy pony

ilka

it is not us who should be telling horses what to do it should be the other way around

9. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

That is a clever idea . My pony would definately fail that task ! Although my horse does this all the time as I feed him separately and usually hop on bareback , pick up the bucket of feed and ride to the bin .
    [​IMG]

10. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

they're brilliant ideas, and thank you very much for your input

tomorrow i get the rule book, so i can start putting a course together.

-bec-

11. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Despite all that had happened in the morning, the handy pony went quite well, and i've been asked back to design a course for the championships in october.......
    now to come up with a new theme........................ halloween?...... Keep australia beautiful?........ army?...........any ideas sooo much appreciated!

-bec-

12. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

how about if they come as their favourite movie/book type of character?

13. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Hmmmmm, themes.... A traditional Australian bush theme would be cool- the tarp could be the billabong, you could weave in and out of 'coolibah trees', have to pick up a tucker bag, steal a 'jumbuck' sitting in a large box (idea being to get the pony really close to the box and not being scared when the rider opens the box) cuddle a toy baby koala and ride one handed to drop it off with its mother etc? pity you couldn't have some sheep to round up cos that would be cool!! Congrats on being asked back, you must have done a great job!

14. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Thanx 4 the ideas tam [​IMG] the movie theme is pretty cool, but being the pony club champs, they must be in pony club uniform.

i was thinking about using a bay of pony cubes to jump over for a narrow jump. i could just imagine one of our ponys would pick up a corner and drag it around [​IMG]

-bec-

15. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Even better Bec, a bay of carrots and apples....a pony can never resist.....they can spot a carrot a mile away.
    hehehehehe

16. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

hahahaha

I LOOOOOVVVEEE it

*rubs hands* Now we will see who is a handy pony!!!!!!!

-bec-