handy pony courses?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by tez, Jun 16, 2008.

1. tez

tez New Member

what do yo have to do in a handy pony course:confused: ? ive never seen one, was thinking about taking my boy in one for some fun at the avon valley gymkhana:)

2. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

A handy pony course is like an obsticle course. I did one at the last pony club zone gymkhana and we had to do things like: walk under streamers, jump a hay bale, dismount lead over stepping stones then remount, open and shut a gate, walk over tarps ect. It's good fun and good experience for the horses to get used to 'scary' things such as tarps! ( Dash thought there could be horse-eating monsters under them!)

3. odway

odway Guest

There's usually a set course, you are not allowed to practise before the event but you get the directions. The ones I've done have had things like walking over tarps, going through deli strips, backing up over poles, opening and closing gates, going over a small jump, dismounting grabbing a chaff bad filled with noisy cans and mounting back up with the horse standing still then walking forwards with it and dropping it somewhere else... that kind of thing. You get penalties for not completing tasks and its a timed event, with the winner finishing the course first. Good fun!