Handy Hints

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Marianne, Mar 27, 2007.

1. phantomgirl69

phantomgirl69 New Member

easy comb manes and tales

If you have run out of no-nots just keep the bottle and get some cheap conditioner for coles or woolies and just mix it withsome water so you can spray it and it works just like the no-nots

2. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

i hate spending ages brushing the tail with a comb, but those big roma 'soft touch' mane/tail brushes are amazing! lok like a human hair brush with round head? work so well. and my fave detangler is champion tails: water glaze. also makes coat nice and shiny, but be sure to avoid saddle area as may cause slipping!

also, i LOVE this thread, but we all sound like sales marketers! "Do you hate <insert issue>? Try <insert product>!!! Brilliant stuff!" Just like the tv guys everyone hates :D

3. janetk8504

janetk8504 New Member

shedding hair

great tip will try the sheddingblock. our play welsh mare moults terribly in winter leaving white hair all over the place and us lol.

4. HorseaGal

HorseaGal Active Member

If ur horse has areas where the hair has been rubbed (by rug, etc) put either baby oil or petroleum jelly (eg vaseline) on the patches and keep rugging. Worked great with Polly after she had rubbed shoulders.
    Also, to get hair off ur saddle blankets/numnahs/velvet helmets, there are these little roller things that are sticky and pick up hair (the hairdresser uses these and thats where i got the idea from). You have to peel off the wrapper and then there is a sticky surface that rolls over whatever surface u r cleaning and u hold the end. Once the roller has lost its stick, you peel it off and there is another layer underneath. U can get these at Woollies.
    Or u could use masking tape haha :)
    Instead of buying expensive salt block holders (eg Likits) that are like $40 or $50, just buy the refills which are like $10 and use baling twine to tie them up **)

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I would very highly recommend NOT to do this. Baby oil expecially is well known for causing burns when making contact with skin on hot / sunny days.

If you want to prevent or treat rub rubs there are creams you can buy, things you can put in their diets, coat shine works a treat or remove the rugs!

6. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I'm sure something about fly sprays has already been done, but i haven't read all the replies, but...

Instead of buying 10 million bottles of fly spray, costing about $20ea, buy the stuff in a concentrated bottle.
    I spotted a bottle of Equis Shoo Fly by accident a while ago. It's only a 125ml small bottle, but it was only $10 or something like that, and you only use 10ml of it to 400ml of water. It fills my spray bottle almost to the top. I've found it works just as well, or better than most ready-made sprays, and at that price, i don't have a problem using more.

7. HorseaGal

HorseaGal Active Member

Arnie: I didnt know that. But i only put it on the rubbed hair, and only the hair was in contact with the rug. The skin wasnt in contact with the rug 'cause the hair wasnt rubbed down to the skin.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. kathera

kathera Active Member

Absoulutely agree -we have a horse and a dog named Abi - and yet they both know who is good abi and who is bad abi when lunging circles - they are both doing laps, but only one is attached to the lunge rope....kelpies.....

9. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

Black Auto Upholstery Spray from an Auto Shop is great for covering wear marks on synthetic saddles.

10. Genna

Genna New Member

If you need a new sheepskin 1/2 nummah go to a baby shop and buy one of the pram or bassinet sheepskins (lamb) much softer and around !/2 the price of saddlery stores. Just need to cut it to shape.**)

11. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Empty Tuna cans make great bridle/headcollar hooks!

Just make sure it is cleaned out before*#)

12. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

awesome!!!!

13. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Ummm... How? Do they have to be Tuna cans? (Completely serious questions! :eek:)

14. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

If you open a tuna tin can, eat the contents, clean the tin the way you would dishes, drain to dry.
    Have a plank of wood (size depends on the amount of bridles you have to hang.) Have the plank of wood on a solid table (that can get scratched, just in case) or the floor will do, have the tin with the opening facing upwards, nail the tin to the plank with several nails (roughly 3, per tin should work).
    A hammer may not work straight off but if you have a piece of steel on the nail then hit the steel that should work. A tex screw should work also.

Hang the plank of wood in your tack shed/room.

Make sure the edge of the tuna can is a clean cut because they can get very sharp!

You can also paint the tin can any colour/pattern you want.

A tin can is a good size for a bridle because that holds the bridle ear part nicely (don't know the exact name for this part of the bridle)

You can also use a piece of pvc pipe (good glue should hold the pipe down) , steel pipe (if your good with a welder), just remember the size of the bridle holder should be the size of the top bridle easy without sagging or fitting too tightly. Best of luck :)*

You can also attach horse shoes to the end of a steel pipe so it looks nice :D

15. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Ahha! Thanks robbing'charisma! Brilliant! :)

16. robbing'charisma

More than happy to help:)*

17. emhem36

emhem36 New Member

Anyone have any ideas for rubbed out mane?

18. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Well i use tuna tins as they are strong but short enough but any can could work the same just wont be as easy to nail onto wall**)

19. robbing'charisma

I was just reading a book and they used saddle soap containers instead of the tuna tins. :)*

20. Lindyloo

Lindyloo New Member

Handy rug washing hint!

Washing your rugs in your washing machine can be a real pain, so much hair. I've found that putting the rugs into a doona cover that has a zip to close it stops any hair getting into your washing machine. Just shake out the doona cover when dry.
    I also wrap all the buckles in my dirty socks to stop them knocking around in the machine. Socks get clean too!!!