Handy Hints

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Marianne, Mar 27, 2007.

1. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Found this one out at the Pinni show.

I accidentally got some hoof black on Lexis (The pali-appy) leg, a decent sized splotch (about the size of a 50c coin) Finished blacking the hooves, so the hoof black had some time to dry.

Some water on a sponge to wet the area, a liberal application of purple shampoo to the splotch and then some furious scrubbing with a nail brush. Again with the sponge and scrubbing and it was all gone :)*

2. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Also spraying hairspray on the mark will get rid of hoof black straight away :)*

3. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

4. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

always carry baby wipes as well. These get it off, just give it a little scrub with them and it does the job. quicker than shampoo.**)

5. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Wear thin latex gloves when feeling for heat in legs ,as it easy to tell the diffrence

6. painter

painter Well-known Member

Preen stain remover was excellent on my pali's tail. Got rid of the dirt and made it look like she had strands of silver in her tail.

7. hasheld

hasheld New Member

Dental floss for mending things!

Dental floss is really good stuff for stitching leather, rugs, basically anything that needs strong, weather-resistant thread.

Hmmm, I wonder if it would also be good for plaiting? But only on a white mane obviously!

8. lifeisweet

lifeisweet New Member

not sure if any of these have been said but owell..
    for horses with puffy eyes (from flies etc) cold water and a few tea bags dunked in then wiped with a cloth helps it go down quickly!.. if you want your saddlecloth free from hair get masking tape and *wax it off* for shiny hooves rub your horses feet thoroughly with a cut onion for bright shiny healthy feet. cant think of anything atm but everyone elses are really good!

9. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

Disposable nappies make great hoof dressings, just clean foot, place on nappy & use tabs to hold in place, then you can wrap the whole lot with duct tape.
    Also if you have lots of friends or belong to a club, buy all your horse shampoo/fly repellent etc in bulk, divide into 2lt bottles (coke etc), works out a lot cheaper for everyone.
    Plastic tomato sauce bottles for shampoo, safe & easy to use.

10. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

*grimace*

Don't wear nylon/lycra based knickers when going on a 3 hour trail ride! :eek:

Say no more!

:D

11. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Oh ouch.

Love that dental floss one. Great tip.**)

12. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Just make sure you get the cheapy old fashioned stuff - anything but colgate dental ribbon.....unfortunately it's designed to break.......dammit!

13. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Vegitmite on sarcoids!
    I didnt believe it when i was told, but worked for my old boy :)*

14. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

treatment for depression in humans, go buy a horse. take time out of your day every day to tend to her needs, give her lots of love and cuddles.

Also great for most of lifes ills :)

15. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

What a great thread this!!
    Reading about the floss just reminded me
    I use the string used for sewing up the bag of pellets ect for sewing up my rugs and if I really get organized I run it through a bit of wax for sealing, a candle or board wax
    Oh and if you run out of stuff for plaiting mane and tails, egg whites are great

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

So glad u re-surrected this thread Big Red....I wanted to add the old bumbags are awesome for trail rides. They easily fit a mobile phone, carkeys, and some money in there, and some are waterproof :D

17. Anna E

Anna E Guest

The thread that feed bags are stitched up with makes great sewing thread for leather, rugs etc - wax it by running over a candle and it lasts forever.
    Contact adhesive works really well for patching horse rugs - doesn't look as good as sewing but it's cheap. Just apply to the rug where it's ripped and to a spare piece of canvas as a patch, wait till it's almost dry and stick em together. Patch on the inside and out for a really strong repair.
    Bran + Epsom salts makes as good a poultice as Animalintex.
    Cheap long lasting upholstery for floats can be made out of the rubber they make yoga mats out of - buy it for $80 a roll at Clark Rubber and glue it to the walls.
    Make friends with your local bakery and carpet shop for free/cheap 5 and 10L buckets with lids (also an excellent toy for the dogs as someone has to clean the last of the icing out of them first LOL) and second hand carpet (they'll give you the stuff!) for keeping feed out of sand.

18. anamcara

anamcara New Member

I love this thread!

Apple Cider Vinegar for Thrush: just mix with water (about 1 acv to 9 water) and spray on after picking out hoof on a daily or so basis.

19. Chinga Is My Boy

Chinga Is My Boy New Member

My horse just got rain scald so I'm just gonna say this!

A must have.....wait for it!

[​IMG]

Baby Oil!
    Gets rid of rain scald. AND. Knots in the tail and mane.

I suggest you buy 100 leters of it and put some in your grooming kit:)

20. Nicnacs_Mistress

Nicnacs_Mistress Well-known Member

Bunnings ROCKS!

Bunnings stock items like 25ltr black rubbish bins that are PERFECT for 20kg bags of feed etc... and the lid needs to be lifted off by the handles which foils those pesky horses that keep trying to raid the feed shed.

Also, molasses in a bottle, pierce holes in it and hang from a tree - instance toy.

Soccer balls, and those bouncy balls with the handles that kids sit on and jump with are great too, even when they go flat.

Easy hoof trimming... ride on council roads (bitumen). My dad always used an angle grinder but you will need a BOMBPROOF horsie.

If you don't have access to a dressage arena, make your own by using upside down buckets and coppers logs. Rest the logs on them and 'hey presto' you have an arena.

River sand, about 3 inches thick, is great for round yards and easy to get as well.

Those male scalp brushes that you can get from the hairdressers are fantastic for the loose hair etc during moulting time. Small enough to fit in the palm and feels like a massage.:))