Handy Hints

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Marianne, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

Those blue barrels are also fantastic if you just cut the top off & invert it for keeping chaff in (holds a full 30kg bag)
    Just stick a brick on top if your worried about lid coming off.

Another tip for chaff, if you can't always wet it down to avoid dust, use an old tank filter (you know the thing that goes over the whole so leaves etc can't get in your tank) pour chaff on it & shake, just like a sifter for flour, all the dust sifts out & your left with clean chaff **)

2. miss_skoobz

miss_skoobz Well-known Member

I also agree with the talcolm powder for socks and white markings... but we just put it straight on.. not with water..

Also the hoof black with hair spray over top works a dream!! :)*

You can use normal pawpaw ointment on any cuts, abraisions, chafs etc, even on humans!! Works wonders!!

Learnt another one off a stockie.. horse gets turned off food or hay, mix molasses in a watering can and sprinkle over hay or feed... They love it :)

3. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

Fabulous thread!!!

All the ones I had ideas for have already been mentioned- but I will be on the scout for more!!! :)

Thanks everyone!!!

4. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Ive found that using babywipes is a good one - you can scrub away without much moisture and they are easy to handle when your horse can be a bit funny. Also they are small, and disposable so often not as scary as a sponge - and you dont have to rinse them if you drop it : )

5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

That previous message related to the cleaning up white markings on head fussy horses : ) Woops : )

6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Also....I swear by those long handled wooden bristle brushes, made by "DECOR". You can get them @ coles, woolworths, eziway ect. they are wonderful soft body brushes, they come with a very handy handle (pardon the pun) and are MUCH cheaper than the similar quality brush from any equine outlet (sorry sponsors). Approx $8.95. They are just wonderful - go on try one, you wont beleive me until you have : )

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Sorry EI Equine....I must have fallen asleep when scrolling through your post RE Baby wipes - Theyre great tho arnt they!

8. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Annnnnd...i'll stop in a minute....Aerogaurd. MARVELOUS for a winning shine and detangler on tails - it also discourages chewing and acts as an even more effective fly swisher for the horse.
    It is also WONDERFUL for a coat shine - on legs, body ect @ shows (particularily AG.Shows - always in spring when the bugs are @ their best), it can be sprayed on or sprayed onto a peice of polar fleece (it doesnt absorb so much) and then wiped on. I swear by it - I always have spares around, in the car, in the 1st aid, every show box n bag, ect ect.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

LOL at Eoroe :p

Added: I think those grooming blocks are useless. I've never found anything to do the job as good as those metal sweat scrapers with the teeth. Makes maulting season alot easier! And no working up a sweat from brushing!

10. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

agree completely **)

11. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

For WHITE greys

I have always had comments at show as to jow white my pony is and how do i get it so.

firstly DONT buy a grey unless you have to.

Secondly about 1 1/2 hrs wash time and thirdly the trick to it all. goes to a supermarket and buy blueo or true blue wash all the shampoo off your horse fill up a bucket of water add a couple of drops tothe water and then pout the water over your horse. it takes all the wellow out of you horses coat.

for tail wash as normal the mput your horses tail into the bucket for a couple of mins. PRESTO white tail not yellow.

Sponges are super for head funny horses

FLys dilute some citronella in water and use as normal. THe outside area citronella spay you get at bunning is awesome sor stables :)

12. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I can add something to this hehe, those wash mits you can buy from horse store for $10 - $15...the ones that are fluffy on one side and have a mesh on the other side for scrubbing and your hand goes in them like a mit. Buy them from bunnings or other hardware stores (there car washing mits hehe), I got one the other day and it was $5.95 and works and looks the same, used it today and there great!

13. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

Years ago I used to use Aerogard (car upholstry cleaner) on long synthetic riding boots. Boy, the shine was amazing! Works a treat on synthetic harness too.

To thin and trim a mane without pulling (I'd not like someone to rip my hair out!) I use horse whisker razors. Just wash mane, then use razor from the underside of the mane. Start gently so as not to razor out a huge clump. If you just want to shorten the mane a bit work mainly at the ends of the hair, but if you want to thin out a thick mane, then you can take hair from further up towards the roots. It takes a little practice to get your techneque established, but now my friends and sister ask me to do theirs for them...it's so quick and easy, and best of all the horses dont mind! I've just 'fixed' my sisters horses mane for her as she had given him a 'beetles' hair do (cut straight across the bottom with sissors)...not a good look!

I'm looking for tips on getting the stains out of a palomino tail (very thick! The tail, not the horse!) Lovely and white at the top, but yellowish at the bottom. Any ideas?

14. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Marianne if you cover the tick in Vaseline (liberally) he will back out. Ticks (all insects) "breathe" through their exoskeleton, so Vaseline (or baby oil) will cut off his oxygen and he'll back right out of there with no harm done to your animal :)

15. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Ziggy we use Cloudy Ammonia (diluted) for our grey tails :)

Our carpet cleaning guy got me onto it. It stinks like all get-out though :( It's like $1.50 for a 750mL bottle in the laundry section of the supermarket. You will not believe all the uses it has! We add a capful to our clothes washing, dishwashing, mopping water, etc. It actually strips the dirt, rather than just sudsing up. I use it on my work uniforms (very gross at times!) and much older ladies have asked me how I get my uniforms so clean. When I tell them, they have repsonded with "Ohhhh my Mum & grandmother used to use that!"
    LOL sometimes the older generations had it right!!

16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Tarz this reminds me of the first time I went to Kings Cross in Sydney!! I was (am) madly curious about everything so I dragged my OH into one of those seedy X-rated shops where they had the MOST basic little riding whips for sale at about $45!!! The same ones at Europa are like $8.95 lol

17. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Addictive Thread!!

Opening a bale of hay and no sharps in site? Use another piece of baling twine, thread under the baled twine, make the baled twine taught and then "saw" quickly and the baled piece of twine will melt from the friction :)

18. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Most laundry powder like OMO is great for white/palomino/grey coloured tails. It gets stains out and is cheaper than the CT stain remover. Makes them lovely and soft as well.:D Obviously patch test first please...

19. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

Keeping numnahs looking like new? I vacuumed mine today *#) but I'm sure there must be other ways :p

20. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Eucalyptus woolwash with a capful of Cloudy Ammonia :)