Handy Hints

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Marianne, Mar 27, 2007.

1. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

I wash out empty stain remover spray bottles to use out in the stables, that way if horsie stands on it and squashes it flat it isn't a big deal. I really make sure they are washed and rinsed well before using them & I always write with permanant texta what is inside.
    Good for home made fly remedies, baby oil etc.

2. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

make cheap hoof oil... by mixing a little bit of stockholm tar and vegie oil.
    a dissopable nappy makes a great wound bandage

CG

3. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

A vet told me this on: If you think your horse has heat in its leg/joint ect... put on a latex glove it makes comparing it to the other leg alot easier normal body temp isn't felt but anything above is.

4. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Ooh that's a good one Webby! I think I'll get some surgical gloves for the tack shed :) Often I am being paranoid about heat in legs, so that should help me chill out a bit. Or another whiskey lol.

5. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

To get difficult leather boots on spray your leg and inside the boot with Hair Spray and let it dry...it will slip straight in!

Use Honey on wounds and bandage....its the best thing for getting rid of infections and also helps with proud flesh

6. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

To clean bandages or bandage material.... boil in a water with half a lemon. It removes dirt and stains.

To clean a bit...put 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar into 300mls of boiling water in a container...soak for 20mins and the bit should be clean. :)

7. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Awesome hint
    I hate scrubbing bits

8. El_equine

To wash my horses I use the plastic bath loofa scrubs that you can get from the cheap shops. I have found that I need to use far less shampoo, gets mud off easy and it also pulls out loose hair but is still gentle. They are easily cleaned & don't hold the dirt at all or the stinky horse smells & they dry quickly. I get them in a pack of 3 for $1.50.

9. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get face markings clean when Mr. Horsie doesn't permit the hose anywhere near his head? His socks look great when they're clean but I can hardly see his star...
    Any ideas?

10. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Ideas For Natural Remedy's

These are all safe.

If your animal...

Is unusually timid and shy, or frightened of strangers, loud noises etc try mimulus

Has suffered shock or distress, perhaps at the hands of a previous owner try Star of Bethlehem

Is full of energy, overly excitable and highly strung try Vervain

Has trouble adjusting to a period of change such as rehoming, pregnancy, or the introducation of another animal to the household try Walnut

Lacks self confidence and would rather avoid challenging situations such as competitions or mixing with other animals try Larch

Does not respond to your kind and well thought out training routine or repeats unsuccessful behaviour patterns try Chestnut Bud

For largers animals, such as horses, add five drops of each individual remedy and ten of Rescue Remedy to the water container.

http://www.bachfloweressences.co.uk/pdf/leaflets/animal.pdf

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  11. **CaSeY**

**CaSeY** Active Member

Maybe try a wet sponge or cloth? I have found lots of horses don't like hoses near their head, so just use a sponge. Works fine for me :)*

12. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

I cant go past white chalk for getting the markings looking nice and white

13. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

Also this may sound strange but "Ungvita" a nappy rash cream will grow back horses hair really fast over a cut or scrape it is also antiseptic

14. horseygal44

Moodymare - would Ungvita work on a scar (to grow hair back)? My horse cut his fetlock open just over a year ago and there's a spot (10c piece size) that's bald.

Also about his scar - Is there anything to help with making the scar tissue disappear? The fetlock is a bit swollen, possibly because of scar tissue underneath the surface? I don't know if surgery would help but that's not financially possible...yet ;)

15. horseygal44

Sorry forgot to thank you for the suggestions about the white star. Thanks :D Chalk sounds good. I'm really bad with sponges etc because I don't have the knack of getting the right amount of water out so it doesn't drip but so there's enough to do something. oh well...chalk is a good idea. :)

16. El_equine

For the white star, baby wipes or wet ones. Gets dirt off and good for touch ups before entering the ring. I prefer baby wipes.

17. horseygal44

baby wipes!! That's GENIUS! :D These are just gettin better and better! Thanks for the ideas guys! :)

18. lara

lara Active Member

is your horse or pony having a foal soon?

:D if you have a horse or pony who will be having a foal soon it would be usefull if you have a container with a towel in it some gloves and other things so that if its ready to have its foal you wont have to run around looking for everything and remember use an old towel and keep the container some where usefull like in your tack room or the feed shed.:)* :)

19. Nomie

Nomie Well-known Member

Grandma recipes...

My bits were so stained I never would have thought they would come clean so I was going to buy a new bit for the Gosnells breed show, but before I did I thought I'd give mine a clean to see how they'd come up... Tried toothpaste... Nope... One last try I put them in the dishwasher... WOOHOO!! just like new... No marks, no stains... Sooo shiny
    Very happy **)
    ((lookout stirrups))

I have used honey on a hoof abcess with a poultice... Worked well and fast too...

I've used lime powder on open wounds it keeps the proud flesh away and keeps the wound protected from flies and other nasties...

I've used the ungvita cream... Jocko told me about that one, also good for scabby skin sores keeps them moist enough to heal quickly..

I've also used MSM on a horse that foundered and one that had a stone bruise... the results were amazing it does work..

shiny coats from the inside... a cup of sunflower seeds in the feed each day, half a cup sunflower oil, an egg in the feed or apple cider vinegar (also good for warding off insects) and garlic for the same two reasons plus lots more like avoiding colds, and keeping the immune system happy etc...

Instead of buying sandlube, buy psyllium husk by the kilo at health food shops or even woollies health section sell it in 250g and 500g bags, same stuff at a fraction of the price metamucil is also psyllium husk and you can get orange flavour too...

Maulting horses... jute rugs pull the loose hair out too.. plus polish the coat

Vaseline makes a great leather dressing in an emergency

Don't put your brand new waffle fabric dressage saddle cloth in the dryer... they shrink

I don't think there is anything that bale twine can not do LOL

Nappy san is the best thing since sliced bread..

If you accidently use perminant marker on the whiteboard, you can bring it off by drawing over it with a whiteboard marker then wiping it off... (may not work if its been there a while)

I may have more as you do at 3am when you cant sleep :eek:

20. Bopi27

Bopi27 New Member

i have found that bailing twine is useful to cut stuff....like more bailing twine on little hay bales..probaly not reccomended during summer cuz you could start a fire..not good! but has to be the mopst handy stuff in the world