Halfbreed/crossbreed saddles

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Troppo, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Hi guys,

I purchased a synthetic Syd Hill Halfbreed earlier this year and although quite comfy - I have noticed that this saddle seems to not fit so well over the wither and seems to cause pain just above the shoulders in my horses when ridden in for long periods of time.

I am in love with the halfbreed saddle and want to purchase another one, but at the moment my budget is limited to $1000. I was hoping to pick up a good 2nd hand one that will keep me in nice and tight for polocrosse, and fit my very round mare.

So anyone with any experience in halfbreed/crossbreed saddles could you throw in a few names of any good comfy ones so I can have a look.

Cheers!:))

2. astraia

astraia Guest

Hi Troppo

I ride in an awesome half breed saddle. They are Australian designed. Here is a photo. They come in different colours and the lady who sells them is more than happy to come out and let you try them out (she is also on stockies). They also come in a synthetic material and different sizes. Very, very comfy and good fit for the horse.

PM me for details.

[​IMG]

Although not sure if she will go to NT to let you try them!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  3. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

heheh yep that may be a bit more than a day trip! hehehe

4. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Can you PM me with the details astraia?
    Thanks!

Danni

5. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Has anyone tried the Northern River or Ord River brands?

6. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

ord are supposed to be good, but i prefer proper syd hill leather saddles, you could look at getting a secondhand bates kimberly? Theyre lovely and witht he changeable gullets!
    Or theres people in serpentine who do polocross ones and theyre very nice!!! They do them wholsale! I think they might be advertised in hoofbeats or horsedeals....

7. Eo

Eo Active Member

try the james saddlery web site. they has a special on one of theirs fully mounted for 900. we have 2 and they fit ours that i thought i would have to have one custom made for. theyre aussie made with proper leather too. they all so have an artuicle on the indian leather saddles and the dodgy trees.

8. PPH

PPH Guest

I have a northern river cross breed poley and it is awesome. Fits every horse I have, of varying shapes and sizes and is really comfy. They retail for under $1000 I think. Would let you have a lend of mine but riccochete has it at the moment :) and your a bit far away lol

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Thanks guys
    I have heard good things about the Northern River saddles. Unfortunately its not like I can just go and try one out. We have one saddlery here (Saddleworld) and then its whatever pops up 2nd hand - few and far between.

If I had my time again I wouldn't have bought the Syd Hill synthetic but I didn't have one to try so just bit the bullet.

The joy's of living in the NT!

10. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a Northern River x breed 2nd hand?

11. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

You will not find a quality half breed for under $1000 mate.

We have a Horselines Polocrosse Deluxe, and it fits QH and TB types very well. Nice and broad, and so comfy to ride in. And its legal for polocrosse!.**)

It is only $1500 new wholesale and they post the saddle out to you! And they include a beaut quality matching stock bridle and breastplate. And an anti-galling 2 point girth/surcingle!! They also sell 5 other models.:)*

Check it out! Horse Lines

:D :))

12. bubblez

try Eb** (THAT auction site) or the quokka... I bought my syd hill off the auction site its a $3500 and i picked it up barely used for $550 have had it checked out and fits my very round horses REALLY well!
    You could mroe than likely sell ur syd hill on there too
    or check out cavalletti and stockyards classifieds

13. bubblez

horselines is the one i was thinking about earlier! Theyre pretty nice and very nice saddles

14. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Righto.

Next purchase is going to be a float (another thing rare to find up here!) so will see how much change I get out of that to work out how much I can afford for a new saddle.

That horselines one looks nice *sigh* patience is certainly not a virtue of mine :D

15. LAURAmay

LAURAmay Well-known Member

i have a northern river drafter
    its the most comfy saddle
    great for bush and pleasure riding
    although they are quite heavey

16. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

I had a maker in W.A called Harold Pitcher custom make me a halfbreed. I selected a heavy rawhide tree with Full Quarterhorse Bars, with all the trimmings like back girth, breast plate etc, and at approx $3,000 I think it was worth the money. Occasionally you can find a good second hand saddle at a cheaper price. I would'nt part with mine for quids, but I think you have to get the right saddle for yourself and your horse. I know one of my friends and my sister find my saddle too heavy to swing up onto horse....Suits me fine though! Oh, I was lucky enough to get to try one out first as I have friends who owns a few by this maker and they were happy to let me borrow one for a few rides.