Hackamore bit combination...OMG

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Sharaway, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

The bits in the OP look so nasty. I can't believe people would even dream of using something like that on their horse. It really does make me cringe to think of what we as a race put these willing animals through, especially if they fall into the wrong hands.

2. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Really , when reading about the top riders and the use of the hackamore and a snaffle, I can understand where he is coming from in the Puissance, which can get to some big heights and as the horse has to be able to get his head up to see the top rail, control would be rather hard with just the snaffle.
    The bit and bradoon, which has the double effect of bringing the head up and then in, the two bits has a similar action and in the wrong hands of an inexperienced rider can also cause havoc to a horse's mouth, could be compared as similar.
    It is the inexperience bit that get me.
    Using the bits that were in the OP for barrell racing etc really does show that the ones riding those horses dont know what they are doing.
    The old horse that I mentioned had a good spin when he felt like it,
    was a really good jumper ( son rode him over 1.74 mtrs at Brisbane Royal one year in the six bar) and sporting horse, especially barrel racing, with an average time of 16.5 secs. He was ridden with the legs mostly, because if you tried to turn him with the bit he would go too wide on the barrels. A harsh bit is not nearly as good as getting in close to the barrels on the turn, where you can cut of a lot of time.
    Around stock, you could turn him with the beast in a halter, also same with the horse that I still own.
    Those bits that are shown in the OP, should not be allowed to be used in any country, under any circumstances, as you will find that it is the inexperienced who usually end up with them. These sorts of people dont understand that most of the riding is done with the seat and legs, regardless of the discipline.

3. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

OH DEAR!
    OUCH :(
    Not my cup of tea..

4. eventerbaby

eventerbaby New Member

Hey, I am an eventer and have ridden strong horse and if bits like pelhams, curbs and mechanical hackmores are used CORRECTLY and SOFTLY they are fine. I myself do not believe in those combination bits shown above but l have a friend who uses a hackmore and snaffle conbination on horse and it has done wonders. Her horses mouth was bleeding from the amount of pulling she had to use with just a snaffle so in the long run this GENTLE combinations has saved her horse pain rather then cause it. So not all combinations are bad just when there used by the wrong riders and when they are riduclious like the bike chain one.

5. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Her horse's mouth was bleeding!!!!!!! That's disgusting #:)mad:

I'd like to make her bleed :mad: and make her arse so sore she couldn't ride a horse ever again!!!!!! That is utter cruelty.

She could, alternatively, learn how to ride using her legs and seat and actually train the bloody horse properly. Unbelieveable.

Your post just confirmed why such bits were invented - for total idiots.

Jesus starshining christ.

6. NiccyLovesK

NiccyLovesK Well-known Member

Welcome to the forum, thats one hell of a way to start... :mad:

If you make your horses mouth bleed by PULLING only to upgrade to some sort of hackamore device, the poor horse, your friend is an evil person and should go back to learning how to ride from more than a bit in the mouth!!!!! What a shocking thing to do, I hope somebody slaps a bit in her mouth and makes HER bleed

7. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

I think your friend made a good choice moving to a different action with the hackamore to back up the snaffle however I am distressed that it got that bad. What your post points out very well is that even a snaffle, applied with hands that pull can cause damage and that training for horse and rider are essential for the safety of both.

Riding is a very dangerous sport and a lot of skill is required for any horses but riding school horses at a walk/trot on set trails under close supervision. No offense to you or your friend, but I can only assume that she lacks the skill to ride her horse safely if a snaffle leads to bleeding and I have compassion for how scary/frustrating riding her horse must be.

I would suggest both she and her horse access training to avoid disaster.

8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

I was watching barbie the nutcracker last night with miss 2yo and saw a carriage horse in it with one of those nasty bits in this thread with the chain over the nose...had I not seen this thread I wouldnt have noticed.. I cant believe they used that bit on horse in a kids movie!!! (even if it is animated!):(

9. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

was just going to ask if it was animated, the people who draw wouldnt have a clue, but i wonder where they got the idea...

off to see if miss9 has that dvd in her collection to have a look :D

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

[youtube2]mT9joq7aef4[/youtube2]

Someone questioned before how such a contraption can be softer in the right hands. That video explains it. I'd love to add this bit to my collection but don't have a horse to use it on at this point in time.

I used to think they were hideous contraptions bits like these but after further investigation I couldn't have been further from the truth.

For sure, the original images of bits put up at the start of this thread are hideous and no way known could be soft.

11. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Exactly, they had to get the idea from somewhere....im going to pay more attention to the other ones now and see whats in those..princess and pauper, island princess and rapunzel I know have horses in them.

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hahaha love how kiddies animations are suddenly of great interest to their horsey mothers *#)

13. Cav

Cav Gold Member

lol no not suddenly for me I admit openly I was watching kiddie movies well before I had a child heheh :p;):D

14. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

LOL any animations with horses in them I analyse what 'gear' the horse has on as well :p

15. Teah

Teah New Member

I wonder if I will live to see the day when all people realise that if you use a snaffle correctly on MOST horses you will have adequate control.
    When will the day be that riders realise that pulling on the horse won't do anything in the long run unless you let go once they've done what you want.

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

You won't live to see that day sadly Teah :(

17. key2cash

key2cash New Member

Unfortunately I got to witness what a bike chain mouthpiece does to a horse when rehabbing a rescued from a ranch in hawaii. It seems the a lot of Americans like the twisted wire or bike chain mouthpieces.

Anyway this poor horse, who took more after his sensitive TB side, had a horrific scar and the corner of his mouth on one side ended a good two inches past where his natural mouth corner should have ended. I could only imagine the horror that poor horse endured in that evil pricks hands.

He didn't like a bosal so he ended up being reschooled in a very thick eggbutt snaffle with much success. He ended up being the most loyal beautiful horse to ride and is now giving his teenage rider and adult rescuer owner many years of happiness.

I'd love to get my hands on the asshole cowboys that did that to him, but unfortunately bike chain mouthpieces seem to be the go on A lot of ranch horses.

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I would like to say lovely story key2cash but it isn't but it is.

Lovely in the sense the horse was rehabbed successfully but not lovely circumstances the horse was in in the first place.