Guess the cost!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by kiraSpark, Jan 4, 2012.

1. KiraSpark:)
    she owed me a bit over $6K in actual vet bills and meds. I am not counting costs of nappeis as bandages, honey, duct tape and our time (8 months of healing the wound) - they weren 't very dear.
    Her 2 foals paid her debt in full with the allowance for shoeing for 2 years ahead. We left her empty because she doesn't owe us anything, we might breed her next year or might leave her being a paddock ornament:)))
    She was very time consuming but relatively cheap vet costs wise. Thanks HEAPS to the vets we used.:)))

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. hahaha you wouldn't let me would you dearest?:p
    You beat me with your post, beagle:D

3. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Wow, thats not a bad price :)
    Beagle, good on you for fixing bunny up **)

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Rightio Lena so we've seen the wound, heard from the vet who attended, seen the cost now...........

HOW THE HELL DID SHE COP AN INJURY LIKE THAT?! :confused:

5. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Caught in a fence during a thunderstorm, if I remember rightly.
    There is an old, old thread floating around somewhere with the journey of Bunnys injury, its definitely worth a read. I'll try and find it. :)

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. Nae Nae

Nae Nae Well-known Member

Bunny's story is amazing, and i'm proud to say i have had the opportunity to meet her. She is just so content and happy... Yes i was very lucky, the vet is fantastic and always helps me out. I took one to her that was in ICU for 12hrs a few bags of fluid an other stuff and it cost $1300, that also included putting him down and having him removed from the vet (he had pain killers every hr almost and other things). I was lucky with the leg injury as i was able to buy most of the bandages and stuff cheap.

8. I agree Nae, you got a pretty good deal from your vet.**)
    It is so unfortunate that good horses get injured. At least your pally girl is still ridable.**)

9. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

One thing I find in practice is how much people panic when finding injuries ( def not Lena!! cool as a cucmber!).
    If your horse has a leg injury much like I have seen in these photos, understand they are NOT LIFE THREATENING , & whilst they certainly do need attention, you don't need to panic & call the vet out after hours UNLESS there is a lot of bleeding that may not be compressed with a good bandage. As I gather most of you have done PC, surely as you progressed thru the grades you learnt how to bandage? & if you don't know, START.
    Most of these wire cuts & degloving injuries require a hose down ( NOT under pressure, just gentle flooding) then put flap back into position & bandage well & get vet out in morning. Flaps also serve a purpose. They protect underlying tendons sheaths etc whilst healing occurs. Don't always request the flap to be removed, instead use it. expect it to die & slough off, or be cut off later.
    That is what's best for the wound & the healing.
    Also, if you're in a position to take horse to vet DO SO. Don't whinge about call out fees etc when you're only a half hr or so from the vet. Different scenario if you're rural or vet doesn't have a crush/ facilities.:)
    If you're all worried about cosmetic appearances & scarring, well. get over it I say.

Motto : don't panic, be sensible, & you'll save a bit on fees. it's called first aid. :)

10. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Love ya work beagle!!

11. darkangels

darkangels New Member

Had to get a vet out after hours for this...

[​IMG]

Well worth the money in my opinion :) I slept better that night knowing it was all stitched up, clean and antibiotics etc administered..lol.

12. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

where is that laceration darkangels? does look like it needs after hrs attention as adverse to the typical wire cut/ degloving photos on here...**)

13. darkangels

darkangels New Member

It is at the front of his chest, just a little to the side.. He ran into a post and caught it on the metal ring that latches the gate closed, silly boy :(
    Here it is all stitched up :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  14. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

I agree Beagle, but I got my vet out after hours to suture the wound. Obviously I'm going to pay for this, but am glad it could was new enough that it could be sutured, might not have been if I'd left it.

End of the day I try not to worry too much about vet bills- I think of them like speeding fines, there's no way to get out of them so you just pay them and live off baked beans for a while :p

15. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

fair enough izzy, just trying to give people an idea that not all leg wounds are gonna kill 'em if left.
    I've always said to my clients, if you get me out after hrs, it'll cost you an extra $100- $200 depending on time spent out of my bed, soon changes their minds in most cases!!!

16. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

darkangels, a stab wound that close to the shoulder has been a bit dodgy in my experience as to damaging the shoulder joint capsule & leaving the horse lame...your horse sound after that?

17. darkangels

darkangels New Member

He was VERY lucky Beagle, he seems to be 100% sound. The stitches have been out since this Tuesday and i haven't noticed any lameness at all. Will definately keep a very close eye on him though !!!! Maybe get him some Bowen therapy ????

18. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Rather, silly person who hung the gate this way. A preventable accident.

19. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

LOL speeding fines are a voluntary donation in my books.

There is a very easy way to get out of them...er...dont speed??