Greys??

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by CaityTB, Jun 4, 2011.

1. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Hey guys,
    Some of you may know I have a little 7 month old filly. My little girl was born Chestnut. She is of unknown breeding, but her dam is 4 years old and a pretty rose grey(last I saw). Sire is completely unknown as the mare wasn't even supposed to be in foal.
    Now, I'm wondering how much of a chance does my girl have of going grey, and what would the first signs be? Pictures of early greying would be awesome!

2. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Usually she would have grey 'goggles' around her eyes if she were going to go grey.

3. samm

samm Gold Member

50/50 if the dam isn't homozygous for grey.If she is homozygous then ALL her progeny will grey.
    Many foals who will turn grey wont have goggles but you will find at least 1 grey hair or eyelash on the eyes.
    You need one grey parent to throw grey.

4. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Nothing wrong with greys !

White hairs around the eyes is your best way.

You want photos ? you've got them lol

Shedu- Dam is chestnut Sire is white/grey about 1 month old
    [​IMG]
    now as a 2 year old { filly on right }
    [​IMG]

Laylah- a couple of hours old Dam is Bay, Sire as above
    [​IMG]
    now as a 2 year old
    [​IMG]

Anavah- as a 2month old {his white hairs didnt come out for a few weeks} Dam Bay Sire Grey
    [​IMG]
    and now as a 3 year old
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Lee

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Oh Wow City Girl!! Some beautiful horses there.
    I don't think she will grey out, she has no grey on her face that I can see, but she has this weird white bit on her tummy! Will have to try to get better pictures.

At 3 months old with dam
    [​IMG]

At 5 months old, weaned. Her Eye
    [​IMG]

At 5 months old, her entire face.
    [​IMG]

I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I see her, and see if her tummy is still white, and what colour her tail hair is.

6. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I dont think she is going grey :)

Wait until she has lost her winter coat and you will have a better idea.

Greying normally occurs around the face first! Although I have seen some Andalusians that look totally solid until they are 3/4 years old and then get a grey flecking through their body, only turning a dark dapple grey when they are 7/8 years old!

7. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

I think she will stay chestnut :) But you never know!

Silver was born chestnut, both parents are grey
    As a newborn:
    [​IMG]

About a month old
    [​IMG]

Now as a 3 year old
    [​IMG]

8. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Arab At Heart, That is a stunning horsey!!
    I went and took some more pics of her today, I don't think she is grey, but... I gave her a bath the other day, brushed her out and un-rugged her today, and discovered white hairs on her flank/butt area. Only 1 or 2 in one place, and about a dozen all up, and only on her flank/butt. Her tummy is covered in white hair, looking almost roan with the mix of chestnut. I also parted the hair on her dock, and it's growing out flaxenish chestnut in some places with a few white hairs sprinkled through it. VERY odd. I've never owned a chestnut, so no idea whats normal and whats not. Picture time!!!
    Her tail
    [​IMG]
    Close Up of her tail
    [​IMG]
    Her tummy/boobies(This is a bad picture :/ but I was using my mobile for all of these)
    [​IMG]
    Her side/back leg
    [​IMG]
    Sorry!! Picture overload!!! I know, she is most probably just a plain old run of the mill chestnut cross breed, but I loves her and must photo spam lol. I have an obsession with taking pictures of her :)
    Edit: Wow... I thought I resized these... Photobucket isn't playing nice!

9. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

No I dont think she'll grey out...lucky you ! lol :D

AAH's girl is by my Grey Stallion- as the others above lol **)

Cheers
    Lee

10. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

Thanks Lee!
    I don't think she will either, but she is still a pretty girl in my eyes! Full of attitude and has a problem with authority, but pretty.
    Now to wait until her winter coat sheds out so I can see what colour she will stick with...
    Aaaand. One more picture, taken today... Full body shot of miss grumpy pants
    [​IMG]
    Okay. I'm done with pictures. Lol.
    I really adore your horses guys, they are all gorgeous!!

11. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

thanks CaityTB, you may find your girl ends up with a bit of white flecking through her chestnut coat, but all good. **)

Cheers
    Lee