Greying Out???

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Piwi, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Piwi

Piwi New Member

well i am confused,
    my mare had a chestnut and white pinto foal on the 8th november,
    the foal (Asha) has started to loose her foal coat and is going a very dark colour but her legs look like they are going grey, i thought for a horse to grey out one parent had to be grey?,
    Asha's dam is chestnut and white and her sire is a chestnut, could she be going grey or just changing colour to a dark chestnut with lighter legs?
    have taken some photos and will post them when they are uploaded to photobucket,
    any feedback would be great

2. Piwi

Piwi New Member

here are some pics
    front legs
    [​IMG]
    back legs
    [​IMG]
    head and front
    [​IMG]
    and the side
    [​IMG]

3. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

no not grey...just changing colour I'd say...but she looks very "light" around her eyes ?

is there ANY grey hairs around them ???
    Cheers
    Lee

4. Piwi

Piwi New Member

no haven't seen any grey hairs around her eyes,
    when she was born she had alot of pink around her eyes though but they have darkened up alot now as well

5. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

She cant go grey without a grey parent **)

6. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Exactly **)

She is just going through that funny interim foal coat stage. I had a bay filly born years ago who went almost black at about 6 weeks and I thought 'beauty, she's going to be a mahogany bay like Dad ....' but as soon as her first coat grew through properly she turned into a bright clear coated red bay just like Mum (and she is still that colour 11 years on). Some of my palys go through a very smutty looking stage too but it is just their dark skin showing through their coat as they shed their foal fluff.

7. Piwi

Piwi New Member

thanks everyone for your replies i didn't think she could grey out,but she did have me confused lol :eek: