Grey Homozygous Stallions?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Trojane, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Can anyone tell me of any known homozygous grey (GG) stallions in WA?

PM if prefer. Thanks.

2. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Hey Trojane, Trueantallan Krusader is possibly homozygous, not sure if he has been tested, but has 2 grey parents and all offspring as far as i know have been grey so far :) (he is the only one I know of tht cld be!)

3. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

My stallion is Homozygous Grey (DNA tested). He is not available for public stud though this season.

4. Trojane

Thanks Sassy & Dayna. BTW could you please tell me who is doing this DNA testing? :))

5. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

My boy was DNA tested through Oxford University in the UK when he was on route to Australia. He had a short Quarantine stay in the UK before arriving here.

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

What stallion have you got Dayna? :)

7. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

I have an Andalusian Stallion I brought when I was on a working holiday in Europe. His name is Montino V.

8. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Photos, now, you little secret keeper.

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Oh lovely!!! **)
    But your forgetting something very vital.....
    PICS! :D

10. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

I do not have any pics on this computer :(

Will have to get some scanned when OH get back from NZ.

Samm has seen piccies of him, also Webby, Feather Feet, BM.

I will get some up here as soon as I can for you guys.

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Ive not seen them, :mad:

12. samm

samm Gold Member

I have a grey but he isnt homozygous.

What breed are you looking for??

13. Trojane

Hi Samm! No specific breed at this point - just interested in the GG genes. I'm asking on behalf of a friend, thanks.

Anymore knowns? I have heard the breeds which are mostly greys have a good chance (ie Andalusians and Lipizzaners). But am looking for certainty (well - preferably tested) though a good number of foals - and all grey - ups the chances! :))

14. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Friend of mine has what we are pretty certain without DNA testing is a homozygous grey part-Arab stallion. He has two grey parents and all progeny have gone grey regardless of the colour of the mare – he is around 20 odd so there are a decent number of his babies out there. He has even produced a paly who is now grey.

Mark Brunini (Tenayen Stud) has or had a homozygous grey pinto Australian pony stallion - again, not DNA tested but 100% grey progeny and more than a few of them at that in both solid and pinto versions.

15. Jewels'

Jewels' Well-known Member

Looking at Verglas the grey TB stallion's progeny, I think he may be also. All new registrations are listed as grey or bay/grey etc etc.

Julie

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

What is the name of that stallion Tintara?

17. Trojane

Thanks Tintara and Jewels' :D

Does anyone know of a commercial lab offering homozygous grey DNA testing? The ones I've looked up so far don't - just do other colours.

18. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

As far as I know the grey test isn't commercially available yet. I don't think it will be too far away though.
    Cheers

Danni

19. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I think one of my boys is... :(

5 out of 6 foals are grey #( {the sixth foal passed away before anyone could tell if she was going to grey out }

he's Arab-pure 86% Crabbet

heres pic for you

[​IMG]

cheers
    Lee

20. Trojane

City Girl - why unhappy? The melanoma risk? I like the way you can SEE greys (find in the dark). But keeping clean...well they practically need a bodystocking.

Yours is a very handsome boy indeed! His dam & sire both greys too then?