Grey foal born to bay parents!

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by mylittlepony, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a genetic freak.
    Sunday night, a broodmare I recently sold to my boss had a foal. Unfortunatly we lost the foal, and may yet lose the mare too, as foalie was too big for mum, and the vet just couldnt pull it out in time. Im incedibly upset as I bred this foal as was really hanging out for it to be born, and I love the mare.
    Aside from the sadness of it all, I am still in shock that the foal was steel grey!
    Mum and dad are both bay, with the grandparents on both sides being bay/brown as well.
    Now I thought that a grey foal had to have one grey parent, so can anybody explain how on earth we got a grey out of 2 bays?:confused:

2. sil

sil Gold Member

Either the foal was by a grey stallion, or else it's the foal coat looking like grey but the adult coat is actually a colour like black.

3. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I have seen this happen also. Most people are of the opinion that it had to have been bred accidentally to a grey (how that happens i don't know) Could it be a Roan?

Let us know what you find out.

4. mylittlepony

nope, not roan. Steel grey. Even the vet was in shock, as she studies colour genetics. We did give serious thought to getting the foal dna tested for its colour, but at the time we were all a bit upset, as we have all been waiting a long time for this foal, and its not likely we are going to go and dig it up.
    There is no way a grey stallion got to this mare, and I bred it myself, I know exactly what stallion covered this mare.

5. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

thats a bit strange............

6. mylittlepony

I know! I'm seriously shocked!

7. Dark bay or black horses (not tru blacks) are born greyish color.
    If a foal was dead inside and there was no blood supply to the skin, its coat would look paler (greyer) still.:}
    I am sorry about the poor baby.:(
    lena

8. mylittlepony

This was a "light" steel grey, if that makes any sense?
    Foal died during birth, wasn't born dead. Would that affect the colour?
    I am thinking that this foal may have just been a freak.

Another interesting note, we had a foal born to a grey mare last year, ( to a different stallion) and it was born almost white, with a darker grey mane and tail. Is now a yearling and look like she will be white by the end of the year. I have never seen a foal "grey out" so quickly.

9. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I agree with Lena, it was probably black. If it did for some reason carry grey, you wouldn't see the grey 'colour' come through until about 4-5 months of age, and even then it wouldn't look steel grey. Horses that carry grey aren't born grey, if anything, they are born dark.

So sorry for your loss :(

10. Kate:D
    I was also thinking if both parents were black then there would be a poosibility of a foal being a double dilute (born white/grey looking):D if they were carrying Cr gene without expressing it on black coats';'
    But I would say it was a dark bay or black foal.
    Grey horses are not like roans who are born roans, greys are born any base color and then they gradually grey out.

11. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Sorry about the loss. Hope the mare is ok.
    When my baby was born she looked steel grey. I can't access PB at work so can't put photos up but will try to remember to when I get home. She is now a nice dark brown.

12. mylittlepony

Yes I know that grey foals are born a dark colour ( or chestnut) and then grey out. But in the last 12 months, we have had a foal born grey ( light grey with dark mane and tail) and now this one.
    Genetic freaks they may be, but the fact is no matter what colour genetics say should or shouldnt be possible, this has happened.

13. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Sounds interesting! Do you have any pictures of the foal born almost white?

14. mylittlepony

I don't think I have any from when she was little, but she is only a yearling now, I'll try and get a pic of her today. She's a sweet little thing:)*

15. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

not knowing the Sire & Dams Breeding - I would say Lavernder Foal- or along those lines..yes it can happen in non- Arabian horses.. your vet would know more- but as far as I know- theres no such thing as a live foal being born Steel grey.

ALso foals born BEFORE their time eg;- 3 months early go not have hair yet- so would look grey.

Please ask your vet & lets us know.

Cheers
    Lee

16. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

There are a number of explanations that could account for the foals coat colour at birth, I doubt very much that the foal was a genetic 'grey', but simply had a coat that resembled grey. It may have had severe ticking, or been black/dark bay as others have suggested - blacks are often born silver in colour.