Greasy Heel

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by bawtry, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

OK Greasy Heel, STOP using the prednoderm it makes it worse NOT better. I am an expert on beating this because the Clydys having long white feathers would get it on a regular basis if you didnt keep them dry and clean, impossible to do 100% of the time.

Wash the horses legs daily in a solution peroxide, pino clean, bleach and metho dilutted with x4 times that amount of water. ie 1/4 cup of each plus 4 cups of water.

Then apply Filta bac cream over the top, do not bandage it, you want to keep the sunlight of it, but you dont want to cook it.

The Pino clean, peroxide, bleach and Metho mix came from John Oleary, before I found about his mix I used to used stuff called Pineol, but they dont make it anymore.

With Tayla, if she gets greasy heel she needs a course of penicillian at the same time as her legs swell badly, I irrigate the greasy heel with straight peroxide and then cover with filtabac, she was over it with in the week, but she flared up fast, and had 3 smelly ooozie holes that needed severe treatment to stop it fast. And yes the peroxide hurt, she was not happy about it, better that than a dead horse.

More valuable reading here Horse Problems Australia and Veterinary tips

2. rockon

rockon Active Member

We have had several horses arrive from NZ with really bad greasy heal, one of which had extremely swollen legs.

After removing the scabs- can be horrible for them but definatley helps clear it up, we use the Orbenin Dry Cow or Ampiclox which kills all the bacteria. After doing this for two days you can usually see a huge improvement. Then we move onto one of the more soothing creams as mentioned in earlier cases.

Cant go past the Ampiclox/orbenin dry cow though.

3. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

In terms of drying your horse's legs and helping to clear it up or prevent the next bout, can I sugest the Thermatex Leg Wraps- they quickly wick away any moisture leaving your horse's legs dry while letting them breathe. Very popular in the UK for this purpose. Light, soft, comfortable, machine washable.

Also, have a look for another product that I do not stock- Equillibrium Paddock Chaps, close fitting paddock boots made to help prevent mud fever/ greasy heal. They are a UK product again, you can probably order of the net or find on ebay.

Best of luck!

4. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Yeh I was going to ask those questions, it almost sounds like the light sensitivity that you can get from some clovers etc.. It looks very like mud fever with the scabs, except it seems to have more swelling and soreness. Plus just affects the white socks. Mud fever/greasy heel can often be from a number of things anyway, which makes it hard to have anyone treatment work.

If not the light sensitivity then probably a fungal type thing. Although if it's been there a while it's also bacterial thus why antibiotics can help a little. I've always just used a oil or lard mixed with sulphur. Mostly because in the heavier horses mites can get in the feather and irritate the skin casing the greasy heel. As well as the normal wet conditions effect. The sulphur discourages mites and the oil stops water getting in the skin and forms a bit of a barrier and the fungus can't breathe. So helps for a few different reasons. The lard is better for light horses as they don't have the feather to hold the oil in as well. I prefer the oil though. Just the drenching colic oil. Feeding more copper is supposed to help with fungal things too.

As with anything, even if you can clear it up with vet treatment it's worth trying to work out what is causing it otherwise it could be a re-occurring problem.
    Cheers

Danni

5. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Thank you everyone so so much for your input!!! It really means a lot, this has just been a nightmare.

Yes Danni, I was concerned that it was/is a type of light sensitivity as, as you will see from the photos, there are no scabs left at all on the pasterns and there is no mud here now at all (trust me, if Tsarina can't find it, it isn't there! Lol!!)

Bella Equestrian, thank you so much! I will look into those for next year as there are 6 socks on the property now who belong to the two horses who like paddling in mud! Don't want to go through this again!!

We have another appointment booked for Wednesday, this time with our normal vet, so think I am going to ask for a biopsy just to be sure.

Ok. Photos for those who want to see. Took bandages with prednoderm off today, the swelling has gone down HEAPS, almost normal legs. Scabs were much better however she is still quite sore.
    I thought about everyone's suggestions and did some reading so decided on a course of action that involved soaking the legs in warm water and pino-clean (this didn't go down so well, she's a desert horse, doesn't do water). Then after about half an hour I re did a stronger, warmer solution and used a chux cloth to gently rub her legs. A lot of the scabs came off this way. Did this until she wouldn't put up with it anymore, there are still a few scabs on there as you can see but much better and she was much calmer with this treatment.
    Then dried legs off and smothered them in Filta-bac, which seemed very soothing to her, she was so much better behaved, I didn't get the bottom lip going and I got cuddles at the end - an achievement!!

Near side straight after bandages were removed, nothing done to them yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Offside:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, sooo much of the swelling has gone today, which normally happens with the bandages, if I leave them off then she looks like she has elephantitis.

6. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Near side after washing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Offside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Update. Her legs were really swollen today, have some pics but they don't really show it. Noticed that not as many scabs came back as was happening before, so I think that is a positive. :D

Offside viewed from behind
    [​IMG]

Nearside from front
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

Ok, update!! swelling has gone down heaps!! Her legs are almost normal. Virtually no scabs there anymore and although she is still a bit 'off' in her movement she is not lame, so that is a plus!
    Thanks guys for all your help, looks like its working!!

9. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

**) Fantastic news **)

10. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

i'm glad i found this thread. my horse has had greasy heel now for about 1 month and i haven't been able to knock it on the head. it's not as bad as bawtry's horse but it is making him lame and slightly swollen. some days he is more lame than others. i will start bawtry's approach tomorrow. where can i buy the filta-bac from??

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  11. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

It actually looks like photsensitivity. I have had 2 horses locked up because of it.
    I washed in Napisan & used prendederm & it worked for me. I also shaved the legs to help with removing the scabs.
    I bring the boys in during the day & let them out at night. we had a few horses get it on or around their mouths .....only on the white hair.
    I think I fed my pasture too well & we have allot of clover.
    Anyway we are getting on top of it & it look like you are also :)

12. milo22

milo22 Active Member

is it only common in horses with white legs/socks etc as my chestnut has it not on any white??????

My chestnut again isn't as bad as the horse seen in photos but i thought i had got on top of it with betadine wash and then drying it and putting filta-bac cream on..but it has now slowly come back on the legs not effected in the first spread?, i will continue to wash it and put cream on it again just wanted to know why i have it and he's a chestnut? :confused:

13. happy appy

happy appy New Member

neocourt cream from a vet will help try clipping the leg & then washing it down with vetadine then the neocourt over the top most horses with white legs are very sentive to different products it may take about 3 weeks to work