Grabbing a Rein...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Arnie, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes I want to thank Mel so much. In the past she has also helped me out quite a bit. I hope this way I can repay you too...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

2. ashka

ashka Well-known Member

Well done Sarah and good on you Mel.

3. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Good on you Sarah. I hope that it works out ok for you.
    Now is the time for you to make the most of this offer where you can learn so much.

Jo

4. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

While i agree with what everyone else has said, i really think you should consider leasing Arnie for the short term so you can save some money and when you have him back you will be in a much better position to gain new knowledge and learn with him etc. You say that he is attached to you and is not so good for other people- getting annoyed and stamping his foot etc. I really do think that that is just plain bad manners. All horses will work better for their regular rider but ground manners should really be for people in general. Your horse should be able to be handled by anyone and this would certainly be advantageous if you were even to part lease him (ie- you could let someone ride him a few times a week while you do the rest and they could contribute money toward costs) And rest assured we have all done it tough at various points, you just need to make sure your horse does not suffer!

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Tam. Anyone can handle my horse. But when you do things like go under him that he only feels confortable with me doing he gets a bit upset. Infact I had a begginer on him (neva ridden before) riding him around and he was an absolute angel!...
    I'm really sorry if I sound harsh when I say this but leasing Arnie out is out of the question. He just means too much to me and I just can't let anyone else care for him when he's my responsibility. It might be the wrong desion but I need him, he's the only support i have...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

6. Becky

Becky New Member

Congratulations Sarah, I'm sure that this will work out for you, Mel has given you a great opportunity, make the most of it. There is a whole world of knowledge out there for you and anyone who is willing to ask and accept (even if it isn't what you want to hear, just smile and thank the person)
    Mel that was such a lovely offer that you made. I hope this works out for eveyone.

****What goes around Comes around*****

7. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

So is this the end of day's of our lives? damn I was just getting in to it! lol
    just joking lol glad all seems like it has finally working out.

Cheers Bottoms Up!

:-D

~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses!~ r.b. cunningham graham

8. squidhillqh

squidhillqh Guest

Sarah , its a hard road, you remind me of myself at the same age, similar situation, but you haver made the right choice.
    My parents were against me doing anything with horses as far as a job went. So I did the working pupil thing, the racetrack thing, hunters, polo, you name it just so I could have my horse.
    Now I have my own horse business, which I make a very good income on, my own stud, both sucessful and every thing I could want in the world. So you go and give it your best shot, and one day it to could all be yours, all you need is hard work , a dream and the guts to try to get it.

Cheers,
    www.squidhill.bigpondhosting.com

9. Dinah Fleming

Dinah Fleming New Member

Hi Sarah, already your more recent posts are showing courage and maturity. Mels kind offer may be the start of a new beginning, seek opportunities like this a "kick a goal".

A message for Taryn, yes Ron Fleming is my husband.

Thanks Jo also for stimulating this discussion.

10. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

Dinah I didn't think there would be too many Dinah Flemings around. I did the Equine Management course in 1999 with Ron as my lecturer in the horse breeding class. He use to mention your name in class sometimes. Well because of Ron and what he taught me I have now started my own stud breeding Quarabs. He is a remarkable man never seen anyone work with a horse like he does. I also camped across from your truck down at the Blackwood Marathon 2 yrs ago I said hello to Ron then. He took a bit to remember me, but it had been 3 yrs since finishing TAFE lol

~God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses!~ r.b. cunningham graham

11. Dinah Fleming

Dinah Fleming New Member

Hi Taryn, yes I remember Ron mentioning you gave him some good tips on how to ride the horse leg. His first 15 years was spent in the commercial thoroughbred breeding industry in Victoria and WA working stallions, breaking in and training young stock and handling non horsey owners. He continues to work in training and re-educaton, but now works warmblood stallions for outside breeders.He will be pleased you have set up a stud, I am confident you will do a great job.
    Cheers
    Dinah

12. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Dinah,
    Is Ron still retraining 'normal' horses too?? Is he very busy still?? (silly question please ignore). I did the equine course in 2000 when Ron was moved to Bentley Animal Section and was amazed at his skills.

I have a horse that i would like someone else to bring back into work for me in a month or two (she's not crazy or anything but i don't have the time (or feel currently) to deal with her tensions). And all suggestions keep leading to asking Ron.

If you think he might be interested (or want more info) please email me: nicole.cottingham@student.curtin.edu.au

Nikiwink