Grabbing a Rein...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Arnie, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Beccy if it works with Arnie then I'll do it that why. Why tell me about what levels the movements are used for when i'm not interested in dressage? I only want to do little dressage shows here and there...I find it absolutly boring...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

2. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

If you only want to do lower level dressage, why are you doing half pass?

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Sorry again. I just read that recent message it sounds mean. I do the half pass ect because I find it makes him more responsive to my legs / aids and because I want to teach him to do it...

Could someome please try to help me with Arnie grabbing the right rein and not question me on the rest of my riding / training?...

Sarah

4. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Read my initial post- if it has only just started happening and he doesn't normally do it, get someone to look at his back etc. Also consider if the bit your using is right for him and make sure you are equal on both your left and right side in terms of your seat, legs and hands.

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Tam. I've experimented lately with his bits and this bit is the only one he seems to work best in. Its an egg butt bradoon. But I would say that its definently not too thing. I wouldn't put anything harsh in his mouth...

Sarah

6. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Ok Arnie , I am now going to put it to you bluntly and I dont think you will like what I have to say.
    The others have tried to tell you in a roundabout way that Arnie is not ready for this halfpass and this could be most of his trouble.
    A problem like this is caused not only by pushing the horse too fast , but also by the rider.
    You have said yourself that you are not yet ready to ride in a jump arena and that dressage is boring.
    The basic element of riding is part of dressage. To get a horse to really jump properly you need to use basic dressage which is necessary for most disciplines except hooning around as you put it.
    Although you deny it , you dont really have full control of Arnie yet. You have told us that he doesn't approach his jumps properly , even though he is a natural jumper. You tell us that he goes fast on an extended trot and that you cant ride it properly. Doesn't this tell you something? It should tell you that he is rushing , so therefore you dont really have control on him at this pace or you would be able to rise to it.
    A longer pace is NOT a faster one , and therefore you would rise it slower than you would a normal trot.
    I would suggest that you concentrate on your own riding and also on getting Arnie to do the basic paces , including an extended trot and a flying change without rushing.

Jo

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Jo but I took their "not being able to control Arnie' As he does he own thing, bolts when he wants ect. But No I have 100% FULL FULL FULL control of him I don't know why you guys would think that I wouldn't! I said dressage as a competative sport is boring 'for me' and I don't want to do show jumping with my horse anyway. My horse might be rushing yes but I am experienced enough to pick this out. I'm not as dumb as you guys think I am. I wish I could prove it to you guys...

Sarah

8. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

You don't need to prove anything to anyone except your horse and what Jo is saying (as well as some others) is that if your horse is rushing you shouldn't be doing half pass!!!! No matter what. And if you are 100% in control why is he rushing grabbing at reins and dropping his shoulder. Control; doesn't just mean that your horse is not bolting rearing or bucking, it is much more than that.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Sorry who said my horse is rushing? I know I didn't say it? My horse never rushes except at the extention a bit but thats easy to train out...In the previous post I said he rushes but I was referring to the extented trot. He doesn't rush corners altho I said he 'tries' but i simply half halt him and we take it beautifully...

Sarah

10. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Hpw do you take it beautifully if he snatches at the bit? If you are consistent with your half halting etc he shouldn't be snatching anymore!

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Sorry Tam I forget to mention that this isn't that important. He doesn't 'snatch' the bit as you would put it. He just grabs hold when I ask for more flexion. I'm sorry but you guys have started to twist my words...
    Arnie is very calm while I ride him. Extremely soft I don't usually use my reins. But lately he's played up a bit and when I open my inside rein and give it a very light 'jiggle' to say 'hey dude don't forget this' he grabs the bit and is like 'no mum I'll carry my head how I like'. As I said he's flexed 'ok' but its very stiff looking...

Sarah

12. Em

Em Well-known Member

Sounds to me like he is jammed up, like I said in my earlier post you have to take it back to basics and get him moving forward softly with rythmn and impulsion, once he is 'swinging' on straight lines AND corners fluently introduce your lateral work, if he gets emotional and jammed up, ride him forward and back in to swinging mode. Get his body and mind into the right frame and you will set him to get the right answers to your questions when you ask for lateral work.

Em

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Em but the thing is he isn't jammed up at all? Infact I've never seen his movement so flowing in my life. Its like there is ice under him and he's just gliding along...

Sarah

14. widgelli

I give up !
    I dont know why you bother to ask us how to sort out these problems at all.
    If we try to help you with suggestions , or for that matter tell you bluntly what the problem is , you immediately go against us.
    It is always NO, NO, NO, Arnie is perfect , I know it all , blah , blah , blah......................
    How the hell you know all this I dont know , for I sure as hell dont know everything even with all the training and learning that I have managed to jam into my life so far.
    Your attitude is that you know better than the likes of Dinah , who has spent a lot of time learning through the EFA , and is competeing all the time.
    Beccy , Zahira , Denny , and many more who have and still are spending a lot of time working and competing cant seem to help you either.
    I think that it is time that you got a full time job and had lessons with a good instructor . Learn what the problem is first hand and also learn how to fix it up.

Jo

15. widgelli

Oh , and by the way I am not picking on you. It is time that you were told a few home truths.
    Just because you have won a couple of broad ribbons , it doesn't make you a top horse person yet.
    It is time that you took stock of yourself and you attitude again.

Jo

16. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

It is true Sarah, you never seem to 'listen' to help we (the forum) give you. How can you learn when you simply don't want the help given, but yet ask for it. Can so many people be wrong?

I am sorry if that sounds nasty, but that is simply the way it is with you.

Zahira

17. squidhillqh

squidhillqh Guest

Have to agree here, you have so many questions on why your horse does or doesnt do this, yet your training methods and riding are perfect and WORK FOR YOU? Im confused,

As you said you are nearly 18, wow, your very young to be an expert. Im 37, a qualified Horse therapist, have won at Royals, trained and riden my own horses to FEi dressage and now compete with QH and judge showa and dressage, and I sure as hell know that the 2000 odd broad sasshes I have won does not make me an expert.
    I am still not afraid to ask and take other peoples advice, even that of younger less experienced people, its amazing how good some of their common sence is.

Good luck to you Arnie but I worry about your horse, please do whats best for him, and I know your going to say that you do, but I had to say it.

Cheers,
    www.squidhill.bigpondhosting.com

18. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm sorry guys I'm not sure whats going on? I've only ever told 100% of the truth and believe that nothing is perfect. Why is it when I ask a question its me not listening? I've tried all the suggestions that have been put here and they have been helpful...Jo please don't get worked up...I don't mean to upset anyone. My horse is far from perfect but I've got to work these problems myself I have no help at all...And some things i read I disagree with because its just not what I want to train my horse. I'm sorry guys...

Sarah

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

P.S. Please don't worry bout my horse. He's in fit condition and has never been happier. I am no expert but I've been riding a good strong 13 years of my life but I'm not stupid...good day...

Sarah

20. Dinah Fleming

Dinah Fleming New Member

Sarah you seem to post a lot of training problems with your horse and in the absence of none you seem to create them by trying out movements beyond your horses capability.

When suggestions to guide through resistances are given you dismiss most in favour of responding with another post with the aim to complicate the issue further. This tells me you are not seeking solutions but wish to generate debate by stating your problem are more unique then anyone elses.

This could be considered a form of attention seeking as you want to keep the discussion running for as long as possible totally exhausting any fruitful discussion.
    The thing about attention seeking is it can generate positive or negative responses. People open to learning are generally positive people, they evaluate suggestions and then try the ideas they like, these are generally happy people There are many peole I know on this forum like this. Negative people on the other hand tend to look for excuses or reasons why something will not work. These people are generally unhappy people.
    Which one would you like to be??
    Finally take a leaf out of the book on humility, (ie be modest), ask constructive questions, be genuine and sincere in your responses and above all be gratious (rather then defensive) when you are wrong. I will guarantee you will be a lot happier person and the world will start to work with you rather then always against you.

Good luck kiddo, no more philosophical advice from me, its your decision which path you take, but beware the negative path is the easiest.
    Dinah