Grabbing a Rein...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Arnie, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I have a little problem with Arnie lately. He seems to be grabbing hold of the right side of the bit with his teeth as hard as he can. Even tho I hardly use my reins its really annoying while training. For example...out side rein pressure, or opening the inside (in this case right) rein to ask for a better bend around the corner but he's holding onto it. I have to pull it from his teeth and he's ok for a little while they grabs it again...he's fine with the left side...but hates this right rein and leg. He used to be fine that suddenly this happened. We'll half pass to the right and thats cool but when I ask for one to the left (more pressure on the right leg) he hell gets snotting and chucks himself around the place. I'm sure this is some saught of resistance to the aids but how would I get him out of it?...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

2. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

If he has only just started doing it and it is one sided chances are he is sore somewhere on that side. Get someone to take a look at him.

3. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

IF he is having trouble going forward with out tightening up, and also with walk leg yeild, why are you doing half pass?

How is the traver? He should be great at traver before tempting half pass. this will also give you a good indication of how much he understands of what you are asking. Can you alternate from shoulder in to traver with only a small circle inbetween? (walk & trot)

What school excersizes do you do to prepare/set him up for the half pass? And where on the school is the half pass coming from? (side of arena, centre line, quarter line etc)

It does sound as if it is a ressistance due to not understanding. Horses - unlike us - cant comprehend doing one activity on one side then switching over sides. for a horse, this is a whole new activity rather than just change in direction/bend.
    Just ask for one step at a time then go straight. as soon as you get some 'showing' of moving away from the leg, praise, even if it is not as much as you would like.

Becareful with teaching lateral movements, as if he is rushed through them without understanding, then he will use them later as an evasion.... like when you are trying to ride a straight line or on a bush ride and he wants to go.

-bec-

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I school the half pass from the center of the arena out to the track. He has no problem with his momentom foreward anymore that is fixed and done (thanks guys). He is just a snot with this rein. Like to grab it around a corner and try to rush it but I half halt him and take it better. But other wise he carries it around. He's working very well and very forward...

Sarah

5. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Wow you must have a super horse- one week he can't go forward without being short and rushy and the next week he can do half passes? I'd like to see that! How is is that your horse is well educated enough to half pass well but snatches at your rein when going around a simple corner?

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

arnie had his good and bad moments, sarah rides him just about everyday and works thought his bad movement. hes a great horse to ride very responsive!

<center><src=http://www.boomspeed.com/chilliedevil/enp.gif>

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

haha u like to stir me up ay Tam?

I worked my butt of with Arnie and he came good. You know hard work??????? no?...
    Yeh he is a super horse! He works hard. I rode him today and he only grabbed that side of the rein once of twice then he was an absolutly angel. He's weird that way, one day won't do something the next day he will do it perfect. I had him at a friends place when I first got him and I couldn't canter him at all, I move him to another agistment and he starts cantering on cue. He's very odd that way...but its a good thing!...

Sarah

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Another way to put it is as we are riding a corner he'd grab the right rein (on the right rein) still bent in the body and the neck but he turns his head down and his nose sticks out, If you know what I mean. He's not looking out, he's still flexed but I can see his eye lash's but not his nostrels...

Sarah

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

In other words he's dropping the inside shoulder...

Sarah

10. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I have to be honest and say that i don't understand how- if he is dropping his inside shoulder- he can half pass. I am not doubting your riding ability Sarah, i am sure you ride well and work hard with Arnie but it doesn't quite add up!

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Anything is possible...

Sarah

12. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

sounds like you need to get his basics REALLY consolidated (ie not snatching at reins, not dropping inside shoulder) before you ask for things like half-pass, as they won't be correct without the basics being there.

p.

13. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

I love riding in my friends arena that has heaps of mirrors!!! The mirrors enable me to check to make sure that my horse is straight.

One of the problems I get is a head tilt. My horse appears to be correctly flexed at the poll but.... he's actually poking his nose to the outside and resisting. They are really clever aren't they!!!

This head tilt is a direct result of me using too much inside rein and not enough inside leg. In order to fix this I do lots of leg yeilding, turning down the centre line or 3/4 line and leg yeilding to the long side. During this I try and keep my horse as straight as possible with only very slight flexion at the poll, taking care to ride between my inside leg and outside rein, easing the inside rein the moment the horse responds to my inside leg.

Once this is reestablished I then go back to riding curved lines, but maintaining the attitude of leg yeild thru the corner. I may even intersperce this some shoulder fore before, during and after the corner, making sure that my outside leg is behind the girth to preempt any unnecessary hind quarter swinging activity heheheh!!!

I hope this helps.

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks Denny that helps me heaps! I shall do that. Yes their very crafty on getting awway with things ay!...

Sarah

15. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Arnie, it is very hard to picture what is happening without seeing him. you have described a couple of different situations and outcomes.

Please dont be rude, especially to Tam, as we all appreciate you being determined and riding your horse daily, but also dont forget you are not the only one that rides daily as many of us already do, and put in many many hours of hard work.

Without seeing him, and from what you describe, it sounds like he is not bending and moving around the inside leg, and possibly a 'blockage' in your ouside hand or inside shoulder, which will restrict him being able to truley bend. After you have checked his own condition if he is able to flex on the ground both ways, have you recently hurt your arm/shoulder? Even just a strain is likely to cause restrictions in movement which although you may not beable to notice without someone pointing it out, will show in the horse.

If you can ride infront of a mirror or video or even with the help of someone on the ground, watch to see if your body is turning with the horse, or if your inside shoulder is coming forward.

Next, do you use your outside rein to keep him on the line?

To evaluate your situation safely, I feel these are questions that require someone to actually watch you ride and evaluate the situation to instruct, not what are other forum visitors and members methods and experience that could be discussed without seeing the horse.
    Please remember that this is an internet forum, and we can't see your horse and should not have to to beable to discuss different methods of practice.

-bec-

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Beccy I was not being rude I was telling Tam how rude she sounded to me alright?...That was a very rude thing to come straight out and say and its up setting...Also imbarrisses me...

Yes Arnie is bending around my leg, he's flexed yet not correctly...Denny explained it well maybe she can explain it to you a little better...

Sarah

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Also Beccy i'm not critizing anyone else, expecially how often they ride the horses...

Sarah

18. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

<font color="blue">Yes Arnie is bending around my leg, he's flexed yet not correctly...Denny explained it well maybe she can explain it to you a little better...
    </font>
    Please dont be rude Arnie.
    My concerns were if what you describe is really is what is happening, then why is half pass being presented to Arnie as of yet, at least untill he is flexing through especially with corners and circles.

-bec-

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Woah Beccy calm down sec that wasn't ment to be rude. I mean it...I'm being serious Denny is more experienced obviously has had the same problem as me and can explain it better then me! please don't just to conclusions...

Sarah

20. Em

Em Well-known Member

What I don't get is that if your training methods are working so well that you don't need to know about great horsemen like Monty Roberts and Pat Parelli (in shunning these you are also shunning Tom Dorrance, Ronnie Willis, Ray Hunt etc...) Why then do these problems keep appearing. If you set your horse up correctly in the beginning and allowed him to be forward and in his own balance initially to develop impulsion and then introduced vertical and lateral flexion, (as that is all on the bit and lateral work is) none of these problems should exist. Just remember that when you are riding and asking for a particular step, you have it clear in your mind exactly how you are going to achieve it. 1+1 helps the horse find the correct answer that is 2.

Em