Good feed for weight gain

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by brittany_137, Aug 13, 2013.

1. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Hi all,
    5 months ago i rescued a skinny thoroughbred, he's doing quite well putting weight on, but i just feel like he needs something more to help add weight.
    I've been researching a few products but have found mixed reviews, so cant make my mind up. I know its a bit of trial and error really, but i was just wondering what everyone elses opinions are on weight gaining products.

Thanks in advance.

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

What are you currently feeding? :)

3. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

At the moment he's getting 2 scoops of Lucerne chaff, 2 scoops oaten chaff, a scoop of cool max, half a scoop of honey b as well as garlic and full fat soya added into it, 2 x a day. He also has a big round roll of hay to himself.

A friend gave me a list of supplements/minerals to try him with too.

4. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Have his teeth been done? Quite often if the teeth aren't alright, then the horse will find it hard to chew his or her food up enough to be able to get all the goodies out of it.

To answer your question... Lupins, Equijewel, Full Fat Soya and Omega Weightgain are all really good for putting weight on horses.

5. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Yeah, one of the first things I did was get his teeth done, the dentist had said that it looked like they hadnt been done in a long time poor thing.
    I mean, I'm happy with the way that he's going, putting weight on and his cost is a lot nicer than what it was, but just wanted a bit extra. Have been told about equijewel, so I might give that a go.

6. Fat Tiger

Fat Tiger Active Member

Equijewel is great. Expensive but you won't need to have him on it too long to see results and then you can go back to feeding the way you were!

7. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Thankyou all so much :) I find its always a bit daunting decided on what to give my boy. I will definitely give equijewel a go. Would you add anything extra into the feeds or do you think what he's getting is okay?

8. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

I found Equijewell heated my ottt's up.
    Over the years I have tried many so called fattening processed feeds and supplements and 12 months ago I went back to ala natural and am having super results.
    My two ott boys, one who was very thin, are doing marvellously on lots of hay, chaff, small amount of lucerne, oats (yes oats) and 3 cups of millmix (pollard/bran) and a small amount of equilibrium blue (mineral supplement).

An old stockman told me about pollard and it has made a huge difference.

Both horses are looking and going great and I have noticed a huge difference in my wallet as well.

9. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

I do add a bit of pollard into his feed, I stopped buying it as we had a bad mouse problem where i agist and they bit a hole in the bag and pollard went everywhere! Just haven't gotten around to buying a container to put it in.
    Has anyone else found equijewel heating to OTTB's? As my boy is off the track too. Haven't found anything that heats him up as of yet, so hoping he'll be all good.

10. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Try feeding 1kg of flaked lupins daily and 20gm Cell Vital (min/vit supp). Extra quality protein and a balanced diet will improve muscle development and general conditioning. Your basic ration is fine. The rest will be time. :)***)

11. jess4dressage

jess4dressage New Member

I keep my horses on a simple diet and it has worked to put the extra weight on something that has come in poor condition.
    Mine get
    Lucerne hay in the morning
    Oaten hay at night
    1kg of lucerne chaff
    2kg of oats
    Equilibrium powder 50g
    I find feeding oaten chaff a big waste of money best to feed it in hay form.
    Horses need access to as much hay as they can consume especially if pasture is poor.

12. ClubIgnite

Take out the oaten chaff, and honey b,(you can finish bags off first) and add 1kg of equijewel OR hygain trugain, and 1kg flaked lupins. That provides more nutritional value with proteins and fats. Light work will help too.

13. Hygain

Hygain New Member

Alright, I'll have a dip seeing as you are currently using a bit of Hygain and this is the most common question we get.

Firstly as you can probably already tell there are all manner of options that can work with some horses and dont work with others. Just like humans really you can certainly stack on the pounds if you frequently dine at Macca's though it may not be the most healthiest of condition!

Over the years and literally hundreds of horses I have found that the following is probably the simplest and most reliable (never 100% though) method of finishing off condition on thoroughbreds.

1. Obviously start with appropriate fibre. Being in W.A this is going to be largely oaten hay though if you could throw in even 1 biscuit of lucerne to help with the ca:ph ratio and add a bit more protein that would be good. I would also consider replacing at least part of your chaff with a soluble fibre source (These include speedibeet, micrbeet, maxisoy and now Fibressential)

2. I like to provide a basic, highly digestible source of non structural carbs be they oats or micronized barley. Oats digestibility is fine even when whole however I would definitely opt for micronized or extruded barley to improve small intestine digestibility and limit hind gut fermentation if barley is your preferred grain. For a 500kg horse in light work around 2kg per day of this carb should be a good starter.

3. As Caroline suggested the next level is quality protein. Ensure it is quality by assessing amino acid levels. For simplicity I generally suggest around 2.5kg per day of Grotorque which will also satisfy your micro nutrient needs and so alleviate the need to go out and buy vit/min supplements. It is also coated in Rice Bran Oil to provide a good fat content.

4. Bit of salt and if you want to get it up in weight a little more rapidly you could add a high fat supplement such as Tru Gain at 500g to 1kg per day though to be honest I'd save the money for now and just let the Grotorque and carbs work their magic.

Yes I work for Hygain, yes I have a vested interest BUT yes I've also seen this pretty simple method work countless numbers of times though Im sure there will be someone who will tell me there horse actually lost weight on it!

The main thing, whether you choose Hygain or Mitavite or mix your own is to have a plan that responds to a balance of the various nutrient sources - fibre, fat, starches (carbs) and protein. I would also seriously consider the use of soluble fibres such as beet pulp products or items such as Fibressential. Far better for conditioning and more efficient than basic insoluble chaffs.

Anyway, thats my 2c worth.:))

14. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

I ran my hot TB mare on Equi-Jewel last year and had success with it, no heating issues.

I am currently converting her to Tru Gain as the products are pretty much on par but the Tru Gain is not as $$ I also use Hygain Balanced and canola oil for this mare. She is a hard / stressy keeper and I find this mix keeps the weight on her hips and not in her head *#)

I run all my feeds through Feed XL so she has some other bits too just to top up what the feeds miss in terms of vits/mins which is not much and I could increase her feed but not worth the cost.

15. ClubIgnite

Theres lots of choices in feed, although the four main nutrients mentioned are available in most of the mentioned diet- and it really depends on whether or not $ is an issue- if not id go with hygains diet simply for convenience, albeit a bit pricey, with one horse to feed it shouldn't worry you too much. And, if you're not working the horse much remember to adjust feed once the weight is on!

16. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

My two, one very lean TB included [she's just narrow, never going to be a bulky horse, and likes to sit a little light on], are on rice bran and lots of chaff. I have LOADS of grass in my paddocks to the point where they refuse to eat hay so they really do need the large amounts of chaff, I've gone through nearly a whole bag in the past 4 days.

The TB is a tricky one. Most of the fattening feeds send her lame due to the protein levels being too high for her [she's a really weird horse...]. I can't give her anything darkening either. She's in light to medium work, in training to be a dressage horse/show hack/eventing prospect, but thankfully she's actually a fairly good doer and when not in work is absolutely fine on just grass and hay.

My other horse is an older [18yo] semi-retired Anglo gelding. He can be difficult to keep weight on but thankfully isn't feed sensitive like Magic is so he can have basically anything. He does best on simple feeds. One, maybe two different concentrates. Lucerne chaff and copra is one of the best combinations I've had him on but unfortunately either will send my filly lame and I just don't have the storage to get different feeds for each horse.

17. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Fibre Beet (Speedi Beet on steroids), Equijewel.

18. brittany_137

brittany_137 New Member

Thanks all for your comments and advice.
    I'll definitely take into consideration what you have all said.
    Bob has been on equijewel for almost 2 weeks now, so far so good. Although may look at changing more of his diet.

19. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I have had a very hard to keep weight on TB for the last couple of years and in that time I have tried basically all the weight gain feeds and wasnt too impressed with the results considering the amount of $$ per bag.
    I was convinced by my riding instructor to switch to maintenance pony cubes and my main pellet and the weight gain in my horse has been amazing. She is fed a pretty basic feed of chaff, hay, pony cubes and 1 cup of lupins plus vitamins and she is almost in show condition after about 4 months.
    I was skeptical but am so happy with the results.

20. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

Interesting :) Is this the mare you had ulcer issues with?
    Funnily enough I too have just swapped to pony cubes after my instructor suggested to. Currently I pay $90 a fortnight in Hygain pellets so looking for a cheaper option!