Good cotton rugs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Bon & Ted, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I'm looking around atm for a nice summer rug for Jingles.

Looking for 100% cotton - not cotton/poly, and I like those air breezy venty looking ones.

So suggest away.

Have lots of cotton/poly blends, but they always seem really sticky. Flies are bad where she is agisted (or atleast will be) so want something nice and comfy for her to wear, she's not normally rugged heaps in summer - weren't many flies at home.

2. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Skye parks are 70% cotton, the higher % cotton you go the weaker the rug is too so if she is not good on rugs I probably wouldn't go full 100% cotton but skye park also make a flag type cotton which I believe is 100%.

The summer breeze cottons from saddleworld are another fav of mine but they only seem to make them in combos now :( they too were a high % cotton

3. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Nah she's awesome with rugs **) Otherwise I wouldn't bother *touch wood*

I was looking at the flag ones, they seem so nice and light, but still poly cotton :confused: will check out skye park.

I want a combo :)

4. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

Caribu do a flag rug but still polycotton though.

5. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Skye Park i believe go up to 90% cotton. They had all the info about their blends on their site, but they've changed it now to give advice on canvasas. I guess it with the seasons.
    I think the 90% might be this one
    But don't quite me. Best to email them and ask.

6. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

For the slightlier heavier cottons I LOVE the weatherbeeta, have yet to find a better cotton. Dont actually like the skye park cottons at all, love their canvases, but cottons MUST have a shoulder gusset IMO. However one of the best cottons I've ever owned was a sunset one- with the funny open shoulder gussets- but that was great- and not too heavy can be used most of summer. I'd have them for all of mine but they are pretty expensive now I think. Dont like the flag rugs much because my lot tend to bite each other and so there goes a flimsy rug! But most of summer mine live in the weatherbeeta or zilco flymeshes :)*

7. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Lilydale rugs are a great fit

8. SpArTiAn

SpArTiAn Well-known Member

the breezeway Riviera combos from Saddles Plus **) really good rugs, only one that Jed doesn't sweat in!

9. chickiboom

chickiboom New Member

Zilco thru and thru, fantastic and some of mine will be into their 5th summer this year. Love them:)

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Sunset Rugs :)*:)*:)*:)*:*:) Scooter's next present;) They have 100% cotton rugs or what I will be getting, summer weight Australian Tearstop canvas:) I have Skye Park woollens and canvas but prefer the cut of the Sunsets for a "cotton"

11. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I have a couple of the Zilco "Supa-air" - cotton on top, mesh down the sides. It's a combo (which you said you wanted). It's a really nice rug that fits well and is quite hard-wearing imo **)

12. Court Eagle

Court Eagle Well-known Member

Agreed**)
    The heavier cotton with the green check through it, has been the best cotton rug so far. It fits really well on any horse too. I had it first on my stb mare, then on another gelding, now on my new tb.

The GG cottons are great too!:)

13. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

All my SP cottons have gussets and satin lining. They can be ordered with whatever you want.
    I have them for my boy as he tends to get rubbed with niether. Though, i have never tried him with only lining but no gussets. But i'd rather stick to what i know works. Lining is easy put in later on if you need it, gussets are not.

14. We are able to get the Summer Breeze cottons in stock and they are made to order. I am not aware that they only do combo's I do believe they also come in a rug. If you would like me to contact the company I can find out prices and time of arrival from order date.
    Just to let you know we also can get in the Skye Park Rugs and I am aware of them making a 100% cotton rug.

15. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

Riviera Breezeways are the only ones my big dude doesn't sweat in in summer. But also I am a big fan of Skye Parks but have not tried any of their higher cotton blend rugs yet.

16. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

another vote for summer breeze rugs **)

17. Emma_river

Emma_river Guest

Hi I am from Australia and Cotton Sheets - Horses that are turned out in warmer weather will benefit from a summer sheet with UV protection. With a high cotton content, they are more naturally breathable to keep your horse cool in the sun and they also help to prevent coat fading, keeping it clean and dust free.