Going Grey?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by mysticmoondancer04, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

In October 2010 I had a gorgeous little Pally filly born by Mooney from a Grey Welsh B mare (The mares sire is Grey but has produced non greys, the dam has had a few foals but all have gone grey, but also had a non grey parent). Just interested to know if ppl will think she will go Grey?
    She was born with pink skin (took approx 5 days to go darker) and no grey goggles/eyelashes. She is now losing her foal coat and is still quite dark around the face and still no grey eyelashes/hair around her eyes, but does look sorta grey on her back legs but no where else

1 Day Old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

at 2 Months
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mysticmoondancer04

3. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Yep looks like she is going grey to me :)

4. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

I'd also say going grey :)

5. mysticmoondancer04

Forgot to add, dams sire carries roan as well....

Thanks guys

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

She wont be going roan, as you need a roan parent to get a roan :)

I think she'll stay pali.

Only two ways to find out.....wait or get a test done :p

7. mysticmoondancer04

Thats two ways :p lol

I know she needs a roan parent but not sure if her dam is a roan as she is a grey (base colour was bay)

8. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yep, she is greying out.:)

9. mysticmoondancer04

This is her dam

[​IMG]

10. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Bahahaha I know I realised as soon as I hit 'submit reply' but snuck back in and edited, you must have been too quick for me!!

I say pali because Ive never seen them grey out so quickly while still a foal.

11. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I'm going to be different and say I think she will stay solid...I don't see grey there.

12. mysticmoondancer04

Well I will try get some more photo's (hard finding time with work) but where she is losing her foal coat she is actually very dark and still has no sign of grey anywhere else ';' Its only on her back legs (where it shows in the piccies that looked grey and even thats darkening up and does look more smutty than grey

13. CaityTB

CaityTB New Member

I think she will Stay solid personally, she looks a little lighter in those pics in places, but Maybe she will just be lighter in those places? I've seen a lot of horses with lighter legs and butts, but still be dark. Im currently wondering if my chestnut is greying out too hmm... Guess you'll just have to wait and see!

14. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

I vote she will stay solid. In my experience, if they are born with light coloured legs (not counting white markings) they stay solid, and if they are born with dark legs, they go grey. Sounds bizzaar, I know, but it works for me!;)

15. mysticmoondancer04

Thanks guys, ill have to get some more pics. I think she will stay pally as well. As she is losing her foal fluff (which is now very light) compared to her new coat coming through that is quite dark but very gold and with no white flecking. She is still very dark around the face and again still no white eyelashes or white hair around her face, excepts for her blaze.

Her mane and tail are still a nice dark apricot colour as well.

But will certainly try get some more pics, but my camera broke so gotta borrow mum's when I can lol

16. Narbeyda

Narbeyda New Member

Some things I have been told that a foal will go grey.
    Chestnuts will stay chestnut if they are born pink around the eyes., not sure if this applies to other solids.
    A foal base colour at birth, the darker it is the more chance of going grey, if its wishy washy then stays solid.
    Tell tale white hairs on eyelashes or around`eyes. We had one that had one white hair on eyebrow at birth, took forever to grey out but did grey out.
    Also haven't known of such a young horse to grey out so young.
    All these things have come true for me with the exception of our current stallion who was originally registered grey but turned out to be Sabino with heaps of flecking and one we bred that was the same.
    We also have Homozygous grey mare who will only produce greys and heterozygous where we have a fifty/fifty chance.

17. mysticmoondancer04

Thanks Narbeyda,
    I was told she wouldnt go grey as she was born pink around they eyes and still has no signs of grey around her face, it was only the light hair on her legs that made me wonder :confused: I was almost certain she would go grey before she was born as her mum is grey, her parents were grey but each one of them had a non grey parent and have produced non greys so its possible my mare is not homozygous grey?

Anyway here is a recent pic, sorry its not great quality, it was off my phone lol
    Be interested to hear what colour experts have to say :))) and if the people who have already commented are still sticking to their original thoughts

[​IMG]

18. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Im no expert but every solid colour foal I have had that has turned grey was born with grey ticking over the eyes. Ive just had a chestnut foal out of a grey mare this year and he has no grey on the eyes and will stay solid. Her previous two foals also chestnut stayed chestnut. With the legs, if the skin underneath is pink, it is a marking ie: sock. Greys have black skin even on their legs unless it is a marking as just mentioned. She looks pretty palomino to me but as I said, I am not a colour expert, just sharing what I know from personal experience breeding greys. **)

19. uno

uno Active Member

I have a palli roan colt whom dam is cremmello and sire is palli , so it is possible

20. GailR

GailR New Member

uno, because the dam is cremello, you won't see that she is roan if she is roan.

For your foal to be roan it MUST have a roan parent.

Sabino ticking can look like roan.