Giles is getting narky!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Pockets, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Giles is a bit cranky,tried to have a nip at me tonight and is putting his ears back a bit-cheeky sod! So I can't decide if he needs to be left alone more or if he's getting bored and I should start some groundwork(read respect!!) with him. What do you guys think?

2. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

oh oh! what were we saying about mares v's geldings hehehe

How long have you had him now? Now he's had some decent food and is feeling better he is probably just trying to ascertain his place in the herd and you being one of the herd, he is trying you out! Maybe get some "live" advice from an instructor if you are concerned about working through it yourself.

3. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Didn't you get him from pso Pockets? Perhaps she would be the best person to advise you here, seeing as she knows the horse? :)

4. pso

pso Gold Member

maybe he's upset you sold one of 'his' ponies?*#)

JB, I only knew the horse for a few weeks, and never saw anything like this...and the owner would have mentioned it if it was a regular thing!

Consider the option that the change in feed and environment, may have an influence...He was on ALOT of grain before with 24/7 grazing + hay...And now back to hay and a few pellets! A bit of a culture shock!

Has this only started since the new horse arrived? maybe Xander is bossing Giles, so Giles wants to boss someone else?

Oh, and is this only at feedtime? If so, just leave him alone to eat!

Any probs, you can always ring me!

5. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Thanks pso-I felt it coming so he missed lol! I think he is a bit put out that his tarty Sweety has gone up the road for a bit,although all he really did was bite her on the bum!! Giles is the boss horse so there may be a bit of that Faxie-hes got it over Xan and Buffy so now he's trying it out on me! I'm not overly worried (it was pretty half arsed!)about it just can't decide if I should leave him more alone or start working him-it hasn't been that long and I intended to spell him for a few months but if he is getting bored...

6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Think I just had a light bulb moment!! He hasn't been cribbing the last couple of days(started him on Gastro-coat 5 days ago!!) so maybe hes grumpy Giles because he has withdrawl symptoms or maybe I'm just insane*#) *#)

7. pso

pso Gold Member

ooo, yes! Good thinking 99!

If he's stopped so fast, maybe he had ulcers from his high stress, high grain life...and the gastro coat has eased his tummy ache? (alot of horses start cribbing due to ulcers...)

Cribbers are the heroin junkies of the horse world...they need their endorphin rush! He's not getting his happy time!*#):D

He'll get over it...maybe find something else to make him feel good..and associate you with a happy feeling...Curry comb...tail scratch....he must like something!:))

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  8. Jumping Bean

What about a Likit to obssess over to 'replace' his cribbing addiction? Something to lick and chew that tastes good, takes a bit of work to get at, and will pass the time in place of cribbing or wood chewing :) My gelding had ad lib hay, but the Likit was fun for him and he really enjoyed it, so he always had something to bugger about with. Carrot flavour went down best! :)*

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

What sort of horse is Giles, age, breed, condition, work etc???

What are you feeding him, and how much??

10. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

He's an 8yr old OTTB-finished racing in Nov. Hes got ab lib hay and 2hardfeeds a day-2L chaff,2L lucerne,1kg liberty(working up to the rec amount!),equilibrium and just started him on Energy Gold. And he gets the Gastro-coat in a slurry before each feed.
    I might look at those Likits actually-hmm the horseland sale....
    Hey pso-yeah I was quite impressed with my reasoning too lol!! He likes a scratch on the wither but the mood hes in I'm worried he'll "scratch"me back!

11. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Pockets the exact same thing happened to my TB.

Ive since sold him but he was the nicest, friendliest horse ever and i would never expect him to bite etc but i treated him for ulcers and approx 2 weeks later his nature changed a bit.
    While he quietened right down, he started biting and was a little suspect to be around his mouth....strange isnt it

12. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

That is weird-was hes always like it after the ulcer treatment or did he go back to normal??

13. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I was onto it very quickly and disciplined him accordingly and seems to get it out pretty quickly although every now and then he would nip a little.
    I did put him back into work soon after he started biting, just by co-incidence though, not because i thought it would help.

Im not 100% sure he isnt doing it now but he wasnt really doing it when he left

14. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Have you had him checked out by a Bowen therapist, equine body worker etc??

If he is sore from racing, he could well go "bugga off!!", and resent much general handling.

Have you had his teeth and feet done professionally??

Ex-racers have lots of issues and it takes time to work them out and resolve them. I am assuming he had a considerable racing career if he retired at 8.

What was his racing name?

I would be avoiding any grain, and feed as much hay as he can eat for starters.

Adding half to 1 cup of whey powder daily is great for tummies, if ulcers may be suspected. Over 90% of racehorses have stomach issues.

15. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Hi Caroline yep he's had his feet and teeth done and the Bowen lady is coming on Monday. His racing name was Rooftop Grosve and yes he's had a few starts! I'm assuming ulcers because the gastro-coat seems to be having an effect on the windsucking-much to my suprise lol I'm a sceptic!! So you wouldn't even give him the liberty? Hes a bit lean but not too bad and he has access to the hay 24/7. Whey powder-instead of the Gastro-coat or as well as?? Ta:)

16. pso

pso Gold Member

Gastro coat is made up of whey powder...Whey powder alone is the cheaper option!:))

17. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Oh ok thanks! Might stick with the Gastro-coat then as it seems to be working!! He was ok today maybe it was just male menopause lol!!

18. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Try him on a salt lick first before buying a lik-it. I know plenty of horses that won't use lik-it's and majority won't use salt licks either. Salt licks are just a bit cheaper than lik-its to use as a tester!

19. Jumping Bean

Gosh I wish I had that problem!! My horse had his eyes hanging out of his head every morning because he stayed up the entire night obsessing over his Likit lol! :)* WOuldn't touch salt licks, not sweet enough hehe, but the Barastoc block I bought him lasted three days. So he gets rationed lickable things. Piggy.