Getting started in Eventing

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Dusty Road, Mar 21, 2014.

  1. Dusty Road

    Dusty Road Well-known Member

    My little stock horse and I are going to have our first crack at a one day event this year. BUT I have never done anything like this before, so what do I need to know, and what do I need to have?

    I have an all purpose saddle (it is a bit small but I can fit into it!) I only have a bright purple PVC hanovarian bridle, and I don't have an english style saddle pad. So I will need a new saddle pad, and a new leather bridle, but do I need a body protector or anything else like that?

    Which would be a good event to start with, a pony club event or an EA event?

    Also my partner is considering tagging along with his one eyed steed. Would he be able to compete as well?
  2. celestialdancer

    celestialdancer Gold Member

    YES to a body protector; correct helmet and boots too.

    Boot for your horse is a good idea for XC.

    Number holder for you and for the bridle.

    PC events tend to be lower key.

    You need to have a helper at events, so your partner would be super handy for that ;)

    If he wants to ride, you'll need two helpers, or nominate each other for your helper duty.

    Hope that helps.
  3. jwithoud

    jwithoud New Member

    Welcome welcome to Eventing!
    If you come to a PC event, please don't be afraid to ask for help - you would be surprised at the wonderful people that will offer advice, gear and support.
    Have a look at your rules before coming to either an EA or PC event.

    The PC rules are available online for free, visit the PC Eventing webpage and have a peruse Eventing

    Also, at PC events you do have to report to gear check first, and be inspected before proceeding to your warm up and ride. GC rules can baffle people - there are lots of them, but to help you, have a look at these:
    Gear Checking (gear checking website, download the Open Rider Precis and the Eventing GC sheet on this page)

    And if you have any questions, you can contact PCAWA or the event organisers - always good to ask questions in advance! Have fun!
  4. GoGo

    GoGo Well-known Member

    probably the biggest must is a membership to either one. i dont think PC have day insurance anymore
  5. NaeNae87

    NaeNae87 Well-known Member

    You are right GoGo, PCAWA doesn't offer day insurance any more. If you are 18 or over as of 1/1/2014 then you can purchase Open insurance from PCAWA. $40 will cover you at PC events and will allow you to compete at any PCAWA run event. $100 insurance will cover you 24/7 whenever and wherever you are riding as long as you are not earning an income from it. The $100 insurance will also allow you to compete at PCAWA run events too.

    PC Eventing runs E Grade classes (45cms) to A Grade classes (105cms) - with the odd one offering A+ Grade which is 1* or 115cms

    For EA you need to be at least have a Participant level membership which is $180. EA membership offers the 24/7 insurance for non-income earning activities too. It will allow you to compete at any EA run event.

    EA Eventing runs EvA65 (also known as Intro 2 or 65cms) to 2* which is 120cms with some also offering 3* which is 125cms.

    You cannot have PCA insurance and run in EA events or vice versa.

    Here is the link to the PCAWA eventing rules.

    EA Eventing rules Eventing Rules 2014 21_01_14 clean.pdf

    Both are pretty similar, but PC has stricter rules regarding gear check and equipment.

    As celestialdancer said, you need a body protector, correct helmet and english style boots (all the requirements can be found in the rule books), number holders are a must for you and your horse and PC events do tend to be a little lower key and are a good way to start out.

    Your partner would be able to compete, but you will both need to have either PC or EA insurance/membership. You also need to have a helper each. If you speak to the secretary of the event, they can arrange for you to do self help (dressage pack up, show jump pack up, canteen duty, cross country jump judge... all are easy jobs and they don't take a long time). If not, there is a page on a really popular social networking site that starts with F called Helper Duty Help. I will PM you the link to it and also links to the event calenders and sites for event entry.

    You may even find it helpful to go along to an event to watch to see how everything runs? I was so lost at my first event and was so thankful that I went with an experienced friend to show me the ropes.

    What area are you in? There may be some events coming up you can go and have a looksee at. :)
    Wallangarra PC near Armadale have an ODE on 30th March or W.A.Y.E.R (an EA event that runs EvA105 - 3*) is on at Brigadoon on 5th-6th April if that isn't too far?

    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :) I will PM those links to you now as well :) xx
  6. Skittled

    Skittled Well-known Member

    How do you go about finding when entries open? The past two ODEs that I would have entered had filled up by the time I heard entries had opened. Granted, there were the popular Murray and Serpy ODEs
  7. InkibahD

    InkibahD Well-known Member

    my advice is watch ktrials like a hawk! that's what I do....if you know an event is coming up watch ktrials about 2 months out. sometimes the groups face book pages help to inform you. all PC events are on their calendar for the year so you know whats coming up, its just about knowing what events fill up quick and in the lower grades that's pretty much all of them (for PCAWA)

    one thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is a medical armband you need one of those to go XC and at PC events you must have a long sleeved shirt in all phases
  8. celestialdancer

    celestialdancer Gold Member

    Ktrials is never closed on my computer atm!
  9. laurasophia5

    laurasophia5 New Member

    Get ready to get addicted! I wouldn't bother with jump boots for your horse if you don't have them (pretty unnecessary at lower grades) but you will need a bridle or saddle cloth number and approved helmet for all phases; cream/white/beige jodhs and a riding jacket for the SJ and dressage, and a medical armband and back number holder (and long sleeved top if PC) for XC.
  10. celestialdancer

    celestialdancer Gold Member

    If your horse is anything like mine who can overreach when galloping, or mistime a jump (and yes that's down to me, sometimes I get it wrong :p ) then I'd stick boots on your horse. Even open fronted tendon boots that don't cost half your limbs. And to me, it's a safety net in my mind to know that my horses legs are being looked after :)
  11. Dusty Road

    Dusty Road Well-known Member

    Thanks everyone for you help and info. We shall see how we go. We live in the Pilbara but might try and see if we can get to an event to watch before we commit to carting the horses all the way down :)
  12. Dusty Road

    Dusty Road Well-known Member

    Ok, so I have entered my first event, but need so e help with some of the gear. Where do I get a jacket to wear? And does it matter if there is some bling on my bridle? I found one I really like but don't want to fork out the money if I can't use it.

    Will I be able to wear my white helmet or do I need a black one and lastly can I wear my white joddies?
  13. Indigo King

    Indigo King New Member

    Hi DR,

    You can generally buy jackets from most stockfeeds and Horseland/Europa's etc etc. Bling on your bridle is absolutely fine, you will find 9/10 will have bling on them at the comps. White helmet is also fine as long as it is approved, and white jods are also allowed :)

    Which event have you entered? :)
  14. Dusty Road

    Dusty Road Well-known Member

    Thanks Indigo King, I was hoping to find somewhere online to purchase a jacket because I live 1000km from any stock feeds or saddlery store, and would like to make sure I have one for the event.

    I have entered in the Avon Valley ODE :)
  15. Indigo King

    Indigo King New Member

    There are definitely sites on the internet that you can buy them from, will just have to make sure they are posted to you before the event :)

    Horse Riding Competition Clothing, Show Jackets, Show Shirts, Stock Ties, Horseland

    Riding Clothing - For Riders - Europa Saddlery Warehouse Direct - These are quite expensive and do take 3+ weeks jackets

    Good luck and I hope you have fun and love it, eventing is great!!!
  16. InkibahD

    InkibahD Well-known Member

    Just a note avon valley is a PC event so that means you MUST have cream or beige jods not white, they will pull you up on this :) also make sure you have a long sleeved shirt for XC :)
    avon is a great event I would be going if it didn't clash with brigadoon
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  17. Indigo King

    Indigo King New Member

    Open riders can still wear white jods if they are competing in open classes in PC events just not PC riders.
  18. InkibahD

    InkibahD Well-known Member

    are you sure indigo king? if so then the rules have changed I have seen many an open rider be pulled up for white jods (not me I always wear cream coz I hate white)
  19. Indigo King

    Indigo King New Member

    Im pretty sure, not 100% but everytime I have ridden at PC events as an open rider I have worn white breeches for all disciplines and never been pulled up on them and everytime I go to a PC event 90% of open riders are wearing white breeches.

    Several years ago you used to see quite a few PC riders wearing white as well but HAS to be beige now if you are a PC rider.
  20. finding_nemo

    finding_nemo Active Member

    All riders open or otherwise should wear cream or beige jods at pc events. Recently at one pc ode the gear checkers were making open riders change their jods if they turned up in white.

Share This Page