Getting sand out of horses bellies

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Monty18, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Monty18

Monty18 New Member

Hi everyone:)

I was just wondering what people fed their horses to get sand out of their stomach and how often they do it. I live in Karratha so I need to do it fairly often. People have suggested lots of things to me and I was just wondering what you fed?

Cheers:))

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. spidey's kid

spidey's kid Active Member

Hay, hay and more hay, apparently:p

One of the instructors at pony club was telling me that she had an abandoned horse come to her with an incredible amount of sand in its' belly, she drenched it a couple of times and waited a while, when not much happened she fed it a hell of a lot of hay, soon after horsey does a huge poo. Poo consists of next to nothing but sand.

Hay is roughage (fibre) and this is what keeps everything moving along so this idea sounds good to me :)*
    Then gain you probably won't be able to rely on that because you cant feed your horses hay 24/7 every week of the year..
    Psyllium husk??? Good old oil drenching too

:))

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  3. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Things that can 'help' is of course heaps of hay, oaten, meadow, wheaten, pretty much any type of hay give as much as possible, boiled up pumpkin works and of course getting an oil drench from the vet. Avoid letting horses graze sandy paddocks, feedbins kept clean and plenty of fresh water help to prevent it, its often a management thing too.

4. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I'm feeding psyllium husks for the first time this year as a preventative. We had a tiny bit of rain and the green shoots are just sooo tempting for Abby. I'm feeding the recommended amount from the front of the bucket - 3 scoops per fortnight. So every second Wednesday she gets 3 scoops. Tonight was only the second time she's had it.

Not sure if it works or not but it does make me feel better!!

5. Malakand

Malakand Active Member

Hi Monty18, there have been a few threads over the last month or so about sand colic and feeding psyllium and pumpkin and John O'Leary's recipe of whole milk and untreated honey. I haven't tried the psyllium or honey thing yet but am making batches of cooked pumpkin which I've had to mix with other more palatable things to get it eaten. Check the Horse Management Section also.

Good luck.

Mary

6. Monty18

Monty18 New Member

thanks everybody:) someone did suggest to me to feed psyllium husks... think i might give it a go

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Hay hay and more hay!

I refuse to use psyllium husks. I have in the past and don't have a horse left to show for it. Ever since then I've always had the horses on a lib of hay and yet the only horse that has colic since that day 6 years ago was the pony who can't be kept on hay 24/7 due to getting too fat!