Getting rid of problem owners

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Firedance, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Firedance

Firedance Well-known Member

Trainers - riders - instructors etc

OR

When is a horse a problem to be gotten rid of?

Too expensive?
    Not pretty enough?
    Want a bigger/smaller/fatter/thinner one?
    Takes up too much time?
    Doesn't understand the English language eg Go in - stop there
    Want another breed?
    Doesn't jump high enough?
    Won't get on the float immediately?

Amazing what we come up with isn't it when we want to turn our horses into problem horses to be gotten rid of:))?

Easy as...............

2. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

With you there Firedance...

3. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Couldnt agree more :)

4. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

Good post Firedance, I also couldn't agree more. :))

5. GarrynGirl

GarrynGirl New Member

thanks Firedance, this is exactly what I was trying to say in my post on problem horses, when they don't fit a person's needs.

Totally agree.

6. smash

smash Well-known Member

wow finally a post that is not the rambling of idiots
    great post firedance
    cheers

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

OMG.....I must say
    @)@) a big hello to Smash @)@)

** Apologies for hijacking the thread **

And Firedance, I do very much agree.

8. Amen to that.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Often it is all created by other Trainer’s, instructor’s, riders and you forgot one Breeder.

To much confusion your horse won’t get you there, as it is not the right breed
    Too much my way is better than their way
    Too much you have to feed such and such even when you don’t have the time to ride them 30km a day, which is needed to burn that excessive energy.

Most of all too much crap and know Common Sense.

So what to we do give them a bucket of oats and when their head is down pull the trigger (the people I mean)?

10. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Everybody is an expert when it’s not about them.

I have personally been persisting with a "problem" horse now for 2 years; I have tried every avenue to not make the decision to have to put this horse down.

We have paid a lot of money for this horse, have since spent a lot more on her, but when you have a vet telling you the horse is mad and so are you for keeping it, and a heart telling you give her more time, she's only young, she will come good?

What do you do, this horses problems are not a product of anything I have done to her, she came to me with a list of problems, some are better now, some are the same and some are worse.

She can not be ridden, 2 seasons in a row she has not taken to having a foal. The vet has to sedate her to handle her in the crush every single time.

I don’t have my own property so I can not just chuck her out as a paddock ornament, and I will not dare give her away and risk someone trying to ride her or have her end up neglected.

I am left with the sad choice of sending her to her death, before she kills her self or someone else.

I have and still am avoiding doing this, I have now decided to turn her out for 6 months, then bring her back in, and send her to Watkins for a final assessment before I go that final permanent last resort.

I know that personally the very thought of having to put this beautiful animal down who has so much life left to live tears me apart.

So I know that Yes, there are people who dog horses for pure convenience reasons, but there are other people who see it as the last act of kindness that they can perform for their equine friend.

So while your all happy to jump on the problem owner band wagon, careful who you label with that name, lest next week its you and your horse in the same situation.

There just plain is not enough happy ending to go around!

11. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I'm with you Firedance. **)

Like the story of the old riding school horse. After teaching many beginners, horse got a bit wobbly in the canter, so no use for the owner any more.
    Time to be spelt in a nice green paddock and enjoy retirement for the rest of his days. But no, owner said no money for that PTS was the easy option.
    Money was better spend on a Harley Davidson...

12. Firedance

Firedance Well-known Member

Wouldn't you guys just love to hear the stories from the mouths of the horses at Mundi sales? You know, the ones with the sore backs, overgrown cracked feet, head shy, wormy coats, underweight etc If only we could hear their side of the story!

Don't get me wrong, there are many good honest horse owners who through a personal crisis, or not being able to sell their animal on the current down spiralling horse market, have had to resort to Mundi sales to offload, as they can no longer feed them. This of course is what is happening at extraordinary levels in the States.

Again, the horses are not the problem.

The Cat Haven put down thousands of cats and kittens each year. People do not want to desex their animals. The cats are not the problem.

Shenton Park Dog Home is inundated with surrenders. Many animals find their way there from deceased estates and divorced homes. The dogs are not the problem.

Babies born substance addicted and/or with Fetal Alcohol syndrome, join the line to find suitable homes, once they are in the hands of Child Protection. The babies are not the problem.

Take responsibility.

13. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

I have a horse that was bought a long way back from the Mundi sales not by me I came later, she is now but not then I found out a 985 kilo full Clydie mare. A lot on Stockies know a lot about this mare, she has now bred me a wonderful foal and the mare herself is a loving horse now with us, but odd things happen that show her past but she now takes it in her stride.

I heard on the ABC radio so many are surrendering there pets to the RSPCA and blaming the the times we are having at the moment. I would sooner go without than give up a friend as that's what my animals are to me.

Lots do take responsibility but such as life there are those that don't give a stuff

14. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

got it written perfectly there firedance **)

15. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

I'd work ridiculous hours and beg on a street corner if it came to it - my animals mean so much yo me and I chose them (they didn't choose me:) ), so I owe it to them to give them everything they need and not pass them off to a shelter, not sell them, not give them away, not neglect them ......... pfft vent over :)

16. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Horses do not have problems they have humans:)*

17. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

lol Zegger, there are plenty of bleeding hearts out there that will tell you all animals should run free, and humans are the ones that should all be rounded up and shot, and depending on the day, I find it hard to argue with that logic.

18. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I agree completely Sharaway its very easy to lump everyone that makes the worst decision of their lives into one easy box-I've been judged and found guilty (by people who don't have the facts!! )for the choice that I made for Riley and I'm very sorry you may be faced with that same decision for your mare:(

19. painter

painter Well-known Member

Just to play devil's advocate, there are legitimate cases, people loosing houses and having to move into rentals at short notice that don't allow pets. While I agree that I too would go without rather than give up my animals, I guess there is only so much that most people - especially when you have children - can sacrifice when their financial situation is in crisis.

But if I couldn't find my animals a good home *myself*, so that I could be satisfied that they would be looked after properly, and that they would come back to me for re-homing if the new owners situation changed, well I don't know that I could surrender them to a shelter with thousands of other unwanted animals locked up in cages (ok not the horses) where they could be for weeks, months or even years. I think in this situation I would really have to consider if that ongoing stress was more humane than being humanely pts while still in my care, where all they would know is my love and attention right up to their last breath.

20. Kris

Kris New Member

Being where I live I see lots of horses unfortunately not make it which means they end up getting 'dogged' as some put it and some of these horses there is nothing wrong with.

I do try and find homes for some of these horses that are ridable, kind and gentle and their only fault is they can't run fast enough but I can't find homes for all of them and they aren't my horses to start with.

There are some horses that can't be saved which isn't always their fault but is caused by us in one way or another. You shouldn't always blame the unfortunate soul that is at the end of the road for them as this is an awful decision that someone has to make and is not always undertaken lightly, they shouldn't be blamed or critised.

I also have a daughter and I know if my situation changed and I ended up with nothing as much as I love my animals all of the menagarie my daughter would always come first and if that meant rehoming some of my animals then so be it, it wouldn't be something undertaken lightly but it would be a decision that I would have to make and I would like to think that I wouldn't be critised or judged for it.

Just my thoughts