getting horse hair out of polar fleece.

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Lily, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

Anyone got any tips for this one? My show rugs are polar fleece (navy blue) and show up my mares stray white hairs. The one time I washed them in the washing machine (I have one in the stables) there seemed to be more hair on them after than before somehow, so that isn't working for me. Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. Raider

Raider Well-known Member

I put my saddle blankets in the dryer and all the hair comes off but not sure about polar fleece cos it kind of gets matted in !!!

3. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

Magic runs down the stables to get her hairy saddlecloth... lol have to do that in the daytime, my OH would KILL me!

Thanks Raider. Heard you had some drama on the weekend. You ok now?

4. Raider

Raider Well-known Member

Yeah didnt actually go on the weekend, Raids got bitten by a nasty the weekend before, back legs looked like tree trunks, his face was puffy, swelling in front legs and covered (and I mean covered) in thousands of welts. I was giving him antihistamine shots every day and still the swelling didnt go down till thursday/friday and welts disappeared on saturday, he hadnt been worked all week so I decided to give it a miss.

Thats two out of the three interclub challenges this year that we have entered and not made it to because he is always in the wars..Horses!!!

Dryer works great, I also use our washing machine for cottons and fleeces etc, hubby doesnt dare say anything :)

5. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I wish the dryer would work for polarfleece, but it does not.:(
    And don't tell my OH it's the same dryer were his shirts go.*#) :D

6. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

try a rubber washing up glove. i use it to get off my dog's hair from the couch and car seats and my dogs hair is much harder to get off than horse hair. try and get a thick rubber washing up glove because your hand will get hot and you will eventually burn a hole in the glove, but i think it should work.

**) **) **)

7. DixiChik

DixiChik Active Member

Depends on what kind of rugging method you have, but I've always found putting a light cotton underneath the woolen rug stops hair sticking to the woolen/polarfleece, and sticks to the cotton instead. ( much easier to get off, especially in the dryer!:p )

But depends on the weather , how hot the horse gets and what your rugging routine is at the time.

8. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

I have an enjo lint glove that I use to get rid of short dog hairs & horse hair from my polar fleece jumpers. That's the only thing I can think of, I don't have any polar fleece rugs at all. For my woolen rugs I keep on washing them til there is no more hairs coming off.

9. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Well-known Member

I use one of those lint rollers that are sticky. Sure you might go through a couple (or four) sticky sheets but hey, gets stray hairs out!! Oh, wash and put in the dryer first, loosens hairs up!

10. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

I'm going try that one. I have Jack Russell hair over everything. I can not understand how much hair one dog can loose each day & still always have a full body full of white fluff..... Now why did I buy a JR in the first place after being warned about the hair issue!

11. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

at least you were warned Sallie. I have a 9 month old dwarf flop rabbit, she is mostly white with some black patches. Seriously, I have to change my clothes after I handle her! She is still a fluffball but it pours off her...

So I have a white horse, black and white rabbit and black and white dog, all of whome put hair on dark coloured things. I need my head read.

12. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

my mum showed me the rubber glove trick. my shepherd malts EVERYWHERE and my car is covered in his hair, and i tried everything, mum's to the rescue. she told me it will get the hair off the couch. works wonders. nothing is worse than when you have a dog or cat (or rabbit) which malts white hair, especially when it's on dark clothing or material.
    hehe