Getting Elec. Brakes Fitted for a New Float

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Noah, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou very much! :D

My unit is loose in my car (hasn't been mounted yet!) and was playing up. So we grounded my float (no brakes, no go!) and hubby took a look today at the wiring, after fiddling around I remember the flat idea and it seems to be fine now!

One thing I hated though when it as in my patrol was smashing my knee on it...this car has less room :(.

2. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

with a lack of room in my car, i removed the ashtray and mounted the unit in there - is that an option for your car arnie? (unless you use the ashtray that is)

3. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Im getting concerned about the number of people having problems with their units.

At least with hydraulic, you can easily see what the problem is, and loss of fluid is a big fat warning sign that your brakes arent working.

4. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Does anyone know anything about the Kelsey electric brake unit? My car came with it already installed but up until now I have only had hydraulic brakes (used the electric brakes once when evactuating horses and they were fabulous!). I have just bought a float with electric brakes and am thinking of taking it to a mechanic/auto electrician just to check everything suits/works how it should etc.

5. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Asked Mr FF and he said - you already answered your own question **)

6. chance18

chance18 New Member

Hey ZaZa - I'm pretty sure that you have to adjust your brakes according to the amount of weight that you are towing... I know previously when I have towed a horse that was heavier than what I normally do and had forgotten to adjust I had issues with the float brakes not being as effective - not sure if this is what you are referring to?

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

LOL thanks for the tip Chance but adjusting the strength of the braking to suit the load isn't the problem. ;)
    The problem is an intermittent one and may only happen once or twice in a year. It's an occassional 'grab'. It might happen once or twice on a trip - (for instance when you're coming into a set of lights and although you only brake lightly, the brakes on the float go on full strength and the wheels lock up), then you continue on and it won't happen again.
    I haven't had it looked at yet but for the last dozen float trips, it (the controller) has behaved perfectly. *#)

8. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

Our old unit used to grab occassionally - if the road was a bit corrogated or uneven made it worse, hubby said it was most like because the horses were moving a bit due to the road surface and that caused the weight on the car to change (eg if they sat on tailgate there was less weight on hitch than if they were up to chest bars). We changed to the prodigy unit as after talking to the sales guy at a show he agreed with hubby as to what the problem was, the prodigy unit works on a different principle and so it copes with the horses movement without affecting the braking action eg no more grabbing.

9. Ridelikeyoumeanit

Ridelikeyoumeanit Active Member

tekshona primus

does anyone have the tekshona primus

10. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

We just got the Tekonsha P3 a few weeks ago - haven't got the float hooked up to it yet though, so all I've been able to do is change all the pretty colours on the screen lol.

11. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

I have a manual electric brake controller with the dial.

My question is that I have always guessed as to where the dial should be adjusted for an empty float, as opposed to a float with one or two horses loaded. Is there a "proper" way to work out the adjustment?

12. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

13. Ridelikeyoumeanit

ende up getting the Tekonsha P3. daughters bf in the process of fitting it as i type and going to give it a run tomorrow taking the horses to the beach. so not too far but far enough to test it.

then just to put the other plug in connections in the other towing vehicles then all set for the coming show season

14. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Congrats, am sure you will not look back. Where did you buy it from?

15. Ridelikeyoumeanit

got it off the auction site and also got the extra vehicle connection and mounting bracket.
    tho now i know how easy it is to instal will now get some more extra connections and brackets for the other vehicles