Getting Elec. Brakes Fitted for a New Float

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Noah, Oct 8, 2011.

1. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Weirdly, other than the occasional grab, I think it's a good unit QSS.
    The digital display is easy to read, it was easy to set up, test and adjust etc and it's effective. I've had it for about a year and a half, in 2 different vehicles and it's only grabbed maybe half a dozen times in all the times I've towed. I generally take the float out once a week and have done several country runs. Not once on a nearly 7 hour trip (to and from Kojonup) did I have a problem with it and yet it grabbed once on Tonkin Hwy about a week ago on a 30 minute drive *#)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I would like to hear your opinion of it once you get the 'fix' for your grabbing problem.

So do you know if its the proportional type or its the other type?

Oooh just realised I sound so direct in my posts LOL. Dont mean to be, just bad way of writing my questions.

3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

4. Que Sera Sera

Definately need to get back to me on how they go after the fix.

Do you find them better (when they are working correctly) better than your other type that you had on?

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I do yeah.
    With the old controller you keep turning the dial up and down till you get the right level of braking, depending on if the float is empty, carrying one horse, 2 horses, size of horse etc.
    With the digital one, you set up the power level with the float empty. Set and forget :)
    All you do when you load the horses is press the boost button (it has 4 settings - boost off, level 1, 2 & 3) to suit the load. The instruction booklet gives you an idea of what setting to use if the load has a total mass of equal or lesser weight than the tow vehicle, trailer weighs the same, or more etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
  6. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Yeah definitely happy with our P3 too, except for the occasional grab.
    Zaza, if you find the fix for it, let me know. I would like to get ours sorted too. If I find it I'll let you know :)

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Cheers T :))

8. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

I have the Tekonsha Voyager, manual controller in my car. Have had no problems with it at all, have found it easy to use etc but i do usually change the setting from empty to full float, so digital is probably easier! Ps thanks for putting up the links to the Tekonsha page - very handy to have the manual :))

9. cleo

cleo Well-known Member

The one that is grabby is Redarc

10. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Ah yes, the Voyager is the one we have :)

11. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

I have the Tekonsha P2 on my float and have never had a problem :)

Mr FF says that if it occasionally 'grabbing' then you possibly have an intermittent earth fault (and need to check that your earth wire is connected securely) or could also be dust in the brake drums and you should check that also.

The two types are propotional (when you brake softly, it will brake softly - if you brake hard, it will brake hard) - this is the type that you want (Tekonsha are an excellent brand) and the other is a delay switch that only comes on at a set level.

12. Que Sera Sera

MR FF, there is a question in the tyre pressure thread and one in the thank you thread for your expertise :D

13. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Done and done **)

14. Que Sera Sera

Thank you MR FF :D

15. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Will make sure I have both of these things checked. :))

16. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I have a Redarc on my car, and can confirm it is quite grabby. Getting the dial to the correct position is very fiddly, and I tend to do it every time I go out the driveway, to make sure it hasn't been knocked off position.

Unfortunately this last weekend my electric brakes failed altogether, so am in the process of trying to find the fault so I have trailer brakes again! Just had the car at the mechanics, and he says the unit and car end aren't the problem, so presently working on the float end. **mutter mutter... blasted floats...**

So from what was said earlier, I'm assuming mine is a delay switch? I really think I'd prefer a proportional one - are Tekonsha the go there? My father has a Hayman Reece unit in his vehicle for his caravan - does anyone have any experience with that brand?

17. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I have a Hayman Reece system in our Prado. Got it fitted 2 years ago when I bought the new float. Works great, never had a problem with it. When we were ringing around to get the system fitted we rang the auto electricians and just said to them to fit the best unit and they highly recommended the Hayman.

18. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

The one thing I looove about the tekonsha's (new ones that is) is that they don't have to be mounted flat, they can be mounted nearly vertical if needed.
    Mine is currently not too far from my knee, but I am thinking about moving it, so if absolute worst came to worst and the trailer brakes needed to be applied separately to the car breaks the passenger has a chance to assist in the situation. It would also let me see what the display is saying a lot easier.
    The other advantage of the tekonsha, is it's transferable between vehicles. Meaning you can install the wiring and mounting point in several vehicles and transfer the unit between them.
    This is all with the P3 prodigy. I haven't look at any of their other models.

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

May I ask why most units need to be mounted flat? I had never heard of this!

20. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Mr FF says......

Hayman Reece - good unit **)

Why do you need to have them flat?........

They work better when mounted flat due to their internal design. They contain an accelerometer or a pendulum so work best when mounted flat.

Mr FF suggests mounting them as flat as possible, this way you will get the best out of the unit.

He also says, our own unit is mounted at about a 15 degree angle, it's unusual to be able to mount them fully flat and the manufactuer is aware of that and has made a unit that can function at odd angles. Having said that - the flatter the better.

Hope that helps :)