German Silver

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by beccy, Apr 29, 2003.

1. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

have any of you used german silver bits before? how do you find them?

-bec-

2. sil

sil Gold Member

I have used them, and I felt the horse liked the German Silver better than the stainless steel - BUT even better is the sweet iron and copper. I have also used Cyprium and brass mixes with good effect. The 'taste' of these bits encourage a good deal more slobber, lubricating the lips and mouth and ensuring the bit remains comfortable and not chafe in the horse's mouth.

~ Do as much as it takes, do as little as it takes. ~

3. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

My mare with the tongue problem goes much better in a sweet iron snaffle. ( not the really thin one.) She has a really dry mouth and the sweet iron really helps her salivate.

The German Silver is great but quite $$$ I have an imitation GS (I think its Cyprium like you said Sil) loose ring for the YDB. He loves it. Its been the only bit to date that he accepts without trying to aggressively chew it. (does that make sense??)

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

i got one for $15 on special, so i tried it for a bit, but i didnt find any difference. mind you i was riding the drool monster ne way, so i guess it didnt have much purpose.

-bec-

5. bjl

bjl New Member

For anyone doing dressage the bit Sil talked about, sweet iron & copper isn't legal. We aren't allowed to use bits with 2 types of metal together in the mouth. Stainless steel rings and sweet iron bars for example is ok, but no copper french plates or KK links in stainless steel etc. is permitted.
    Apparently two metals wet with saliva actually set up a static electric reaction, NOT SHOCKING THE HORSE, so don't everyone have heart attacks, and this is why they salivate.
    I've seen it explained on some tv science shows how it happens, if anyone has a science minded 14 y o child they can give you chapter & verse on it.

bj