Gelding acting like a stallion

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Stockmans Farm, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Stockmans Farm

Stockmans Farm Active Member

Ok my old pinto pony who is 30!!! is carrying on like an idiot!

When i first got the stallions he started acting strange herding the mares, chasing off and attacking my other gelding etc, so i seperated him from the mares and he calmed right down and got along well with the other boy.

No we have a foal on the ground it is getting ridiculous!! He is trying to get throught the electric fence taking every boot with a grunt. Constantly whinying and running the fence. Fighting with the stallion over the fence. It is becoming obsessive!!

Any opinions or have had this happen to you?

He was a perfectly quite old pony until the stallions rocked up :confused:

Im frightened he is gonna have a heart attack!!
  2. sil

sil Gold Member

Even though he has been gelded, he is still a male.

When you brought the stallions, you upset his little 'harem'. He is trying to shoo off the competition :) Even when they are old, pot bellied and should know better, boys will still be boys!
  3. Put him further away from the stallion, coz the old boy is thinking that he has to protect his girls!
  4. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I have a gelding here who was cut at 6. He is a randy dominant thing. He is beautifully mannered and a bit of a wuss so it is rarely a problem except in springtime - he wants to either fight with or shag everything with four legs. On the ground or under saddle - he turns into a 17hh 750kg hard on.

I was advised to give potassium bromide as it is a sexual suppressant. Worked like a charm. He is not on it now and the aggressive and horny symptoms have not returned (until next spring at least). All up I think I had him on it 2 or 3 weeks.

It is made by Advanced Feeds, you get it at the stockfeederes for about 30 bucks a tub. If the problem is hormonal it will take the edge off.
  5. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

Yep I have a stalligelding also. I just keep him away from other male horses and ensure he gets a woman to look after (in the paddock next to him).

Just remember potassium bromide is swabbable.
  6. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Nope it is not NA - I contacted Advanced Feeds personally with this question and was told emphatically that it is NOT swabbable at recommended dosage (1-2 scoops).

I too thought that it was but have been assured by the vet who makes and markets it that it is not ;)
  7. sil

sil Gold Member

Tell them to put it in writing, if it does swab then you're covered
  8. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Yep Sil, I kept all the emails hehehehe! This is what I received from them

"Potassium bromide is not swabbable so you will be fine to compete on it..."

But yeah, not really an issue unless it's peak of springtime lol!! And didn't have any comps on at that point in time anyway but though I'd check as I don't want to get done for doping if there is a witholding period etc **)

Apparently it is used quite commonly in top showjumping and eventing stables for competition! Not going to swear on a chicken husbandry bible to this but what I have been told.

It really does help with the randy numbers though **)
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  9. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

That's awesome. I was told to put mine on potassium bromide when out so he settles the hell down and chills out but haven't done it because everyone told me it was swabbable!!

ETA I also heard it builds up in their system and they build a tolerance to it - as in you don't want them on it all the time or it becomes ineffective.... maybe that's when it's swabbable (at the higher dosage to make it effective)???
  10. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I found that my bloke was very chilled for the first few days, then like you say seemed to build a tolerance to it and it was not as effective any more (BUT he didn't have a hard on 24/7 lol or try to mount the yearling gelding THROUGH the electric fence .. yep he was that bad .. 2 scoops of bromide and he was a choir boy again).

If I know I have to take him somewhere super stressful (like the vet haha) or a long trip (or where there are pretty ladeez!!!!!) I'll give him a couple of scoops the night before. Max dose is two scoops, yes it probably is swabbable if you give more, but I wouldn't like to test the safety of that either. So yeah, not every day to keep it effective **)
  11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yours is a prime example of why geldings shouldn't be in with mares.
    Not only the risk to mares but the risk of injury and mental attitude of the gelding! Even at his age and life experience he still poses risks to them and himself.

Like Lena said move him away where he can't see whats going on.....put him in with another gelding and let them be mates together - well away from the rest of the horses.
  12. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I have a pony who was well and truly gelded, i was there as witness. He gets it up and mates with whoever and whatever will stand still long enough.

He shows no other signs whatso ever unless there is a mare in season, he has served many times and this is well and truly after he was gelded. I dont worry about it, no harm done and his little girlfriend doesnt mind either lol........
  13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Curious - so you never put your geldings in with any mares? :}
  14. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Nope. One gelding yearling in with 2 yearling fillies and the old babysitter. He was gelded at 3 mths of age and once the girls are showing signs of maturity (probabaly end summer) the bub gelding will be removed or the two fillies will be together and the bub gelding can stay with Junior.

Only once in 15 years has a gelding "gotten in with the mares".......broken gate that allowed Junior and his bubs in with 3 mares and their foals. He was in there long enough for me to ride down and lead him out and fix the gate. By the time I got down there with the gear he had cornered his 3 yearlings down one end while the mares were over the dam rim and at the far end of the paddock! He knows about mares and babies........he has foals on the ground himself.

His babysitting job is finished once the foals reach late yearling stage cause he is needed for the next lot coming through.

Colts and fillies stay together with Junior until 7 months and then separated.
  15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Actually generally speaking there is "harm done".......but if you're happy with him doing it then thats your choice. But it certainly isn't appropriate stud practise or standard.
    Its just something that you don't have a problem with.

I don't like it that some people neglect their horses either, but because they own them they can do what they like.....if no laws are broken then a horse owner can run their place any way they see fit. And they do.
  16. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

There is one thing correct and two things wrong with this statement. Firstly, it is correct KBr is not detected in current drug testing procedures. What is wrong about it is that it gives the impression that it is ok to use it in competition when it isnt, whilst it might not be "swabbable" it is a prohibited substance that should not be used in competition. I have written the following a million times on here but Human Growth Hormone is not "swabbable" in human sporting event drug tests either but it is still a prohibited substances and any athlete caught using it would be considered a "drug cheat". The final thing that is wrong about this statement is that KBr is Schedule 4 (prescription only) for therapeutic use. If you have a supplement company that via an email and therefore putting in writing admits the product is being used on an animal that provides evidence that product is being sold illegally (if the product was not sold by a vet via a vet prescription who had fulfilled the requirements of establishing a vet-patient relationship) for therapeutic use and hence the Health Department, the administrators of the WA Poisons Act would like to know about that as it is a breach of the act.
  17. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

It is made and marketed by a team of three vets RR ;) and it is an OTC product at every stockfeeder.
  18. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

I know all about KBr Hen :) Doesnt matter if it is made and manufactured by the Prime minister what I have said is correct :) OTC supply from the stockfeeders is illegal if sold for administration to any animal or thing.
  19. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Rightio then, whatever :) Well it doesn't swab positive, that's all *I* need to know :)
  20. lorradaux

lorradaux New Member

I have never had much of a problem with mares and geldings paddocked together. Let horse be horses. I would prefer them to know a herd-like situation, however if I have a gelding that causes problem I will separate him form the girls.

You may not have meant it, but the way you have phrased this makes it sound like you are saying that anyone paddocking geldings with mares is neglecting their horses... I really don't understand that conclusion. It's fine for you to have that practice and I'm sure many do, but if they co-exist happily together and cause no problems then how can this even remotely be considered neglect? I know many MARES who argue so much that they need to be kept separate and same with geldings. What does it matter what sex they are so long as they are happy and cause no problems.

In this instance tho Gecko, I think that the best option would be to move your old boy as far away from the stallions and paddock him just with another gelding. He is obviously not coping with another man taking his gals interest and needs a cool down on the ol hormones.