Full fat soya meal

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Noelle, May 1, 2008.

1. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Hoping some of those feed experts can comment.

Can someone advise on the pros and cons of ffsm please. I have done a bit of reading on it and it sounds like it is good for fattening horses. My TB needs to put on some weight.

So any comments about this product please.

2. Jonsie

Jonsie Well-known Member

Hi Noelle... i have just started two of my t/b's on ffsm - one is 6, in medium work and was dropping weight due to more work and so far he is maintaining his weight (has been on it for about a week and a half - loses weight quickly, takes a bit to out it back on) and i can see a slight improvement. The other is a 20yr old mare who has come back from lease in bad condition and even though i started her on a small amouont per feed she has scoured on it so i am going to try a smaller amount (quart of a cup) once she stops scouring and increase is even slower, but i have faith that it will def improve her condition!

3. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome stuff ....:)))

4. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

I posted pics about two weeks ago called 3 weeks on FFS if u want to see what it can do, that boy did not need fattening I just wanted his colour richer and it worked great :) I am feeding it to a had to keep weight on TB and he is doing Great finally!! as i changed him from i million feeds to chaff oats and FFS sooooooooooooooo simple and working wonders:)* and no he has not gotten "hot"

5. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Thanks guys; sounds good. Anyone know of any negatives about ffsm?

Hey BB, I couldnt get the attachments to open (says invalid somethingorother???)

6. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Hygain Balanced is a wonderful product, I have used it with great success, it is composed primarily of oil meals, including FFS. Due to this it can heat some horses up, I have had a couple go bananas on it. Showtorque I like but I the molasses content makes me edgy. A few sensitive types can go a bit silly on it. ICE even hotted up my old TB jumper, due to the pollard in it. It is a bit of trial and error to see what works for you and what doesn't :). Every horse is different as to what they react to.

7. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Do a search.
    FF Soya has been asked about HEAPS over the last few months. You should be able to find lots of posts with all your questions answered :).

9. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

All my horses and pony are on it in varying amounts, only one of them has scoured on it so I cut it back a bit and have had no problems since. I am starting to notice a slight difference in weight after two weeks already so it`s a thumbs up from me!**)

10. horsenut

horsenut New Member

11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Too high protein for some horses. Fizzes them up and fries their brain !
    Never again will I feed it to my horse. My backside still hasn't recovered from hitting the ground so hard *#)

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I was told..not to feed it over long periods of time..cant remember why thou..

whould it be something to do with fat build-up around the heart..anyone ??

Cheers
    Lee

13. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Only that some horses get runny poos from it, ie my girl but she was very shiny and put on weight with it despite the scouring. i was only feeding two table spoons though i know lots of people give a whole cup to a horse that doesn't scour.

14. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Maybe that's why my horse was scouring, she only started after three weeks of feeding it to her, i left it for a while and then when summer came gave her it to get a good new coat(and get rid of the VERY thick winter coat) and she was fine, she was off it again though when i leased her and didn't get the scouring.