Full Fat Soy? who feeds it?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by KKKiroo, Aug 7, 2013.

1. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

Someone has suggested I try my horse on full fat soy to help him gain condition and improve his coat.

My main question -
    Is it heating? I have a sensitive T'bred that can get very anxious and excited when taken out.

If you recommend it, what is the best one?

Cheers

2. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

In short, it can be heating in prone horses. Go with canola meal and canola oil, 1 cup of each daily.

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Cereal grains are generally far more heating than protein sources. There is no brand of FFS. Just buy what they have at your stockfeeders. All the same stuff mate! :D

If your horse copes with lucerne with no behavioual changes then he should be fine on FFS. FFS is also the best best protein source as it is most concentrated protein source you can buy and contains the best amino acid profile of any protein source available. **)

Introduce slowly at a quarter cup for few days and build to half, three quarters and to full cup over 2 weeks minimum. Test the waters slowly. :)*

4. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

Fidge goes loopy on it and lucerne too *#) I had success with unrefined canola oil.

5. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I feed it, a cup per day. Doesnt change my horse at all but then my horse is able to be fed just about anything lol

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

FFS is a great conditioner but I don't use it. LOL
    It sends mine around the twist. *#)

7. Picup436

Picup436 Active Member

I have just started mine on it as a part of the ulcer diet I was recommended. So far no craziness, but they are fine with lucerne.

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I have since removed pellets from my horse's diets so i have had to add a protein source.
    Use to feed FFS years ago (why did i change!!) & they've been back on it for 3 wks now, in that time from dropping the pellets (Studmaster), adding Vit/Min & FFS (only change made), i think they look even better than they did before. ;)
    I feed much less than 1 cup though.

9. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Can I ask why your removing pellets Remaani?

I went back to a full grain diet last year with my horses and they dont look any different to when they were on processed feed :confused:

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lilly just simple refused to eat them... she'd pick at them but that is it & 3/4 of the pellets were always left over lol.
    Left the feed the same but added Vit/Min & FFS & she's happy as pig in poop. :)

11. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I feed it and i love the stuff. I find it brings out lovely dapples and shine in the coat of my 2. I haven't ever noticed any changes in behaviour, but all horses are different :)

12. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

I've fed it on and off for years now. It's brilliant for masking powdered supplements and my horses always get a lovely shine and dapple to their coat when i feed it. I havent found it to be heating either but then again my lot are nuts anyway so i don't think a little bit of FFS is going to make much difference :p

13. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

I do. My mare gets 2&1/2 cups everyday and she is looking awesome - she has put on lots of weight which I was struggling to do with her.

She is a TB and I have noticed she is a bit sillier - but nothing I can't handle (she isn't prone to bucking etc so she just has more energy for going fast which is what she likes!)

14. Quackers

Quackers New Member

I use canola for our tb, standy and pony... Doesn't make any difference to the tb (big horses get 1 cup...unless lil bro helps and then they get a good 1.5cups lol) :) is there much difference between the canola and ffs?

15. cathnrob

cathnrob Well-known Member

Yep I have!! For a bull that I'm showing at the Royal this year!! Naturally no heat, but his coat was amazing!!

16. Frizzy Mits

Frizzy Mits Active Member

I feed it to my boy doesn't send him crazy. I have noticed he has a pretty shiny summer coat and his overall condition improved :)

17. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I feed it to my nearly 2 yr old warmblood. He loves the stuff, it has never heated him up and he looks amazing (great topline and shiny shiny coat). He retained his shinyness even through two major surgeries within 8 weeks of each other (both times had box rest for a month after each surgery).

18. KKKiroo

It sounds like it can have great results but I'm worried it may heat up my OTTB....
    Might have to try something else...
    He is on Hygain Trugain and I have noticed a great improvement in his condition since being on it however his coat is still dull (Yes I've done the worming, teeth etc).

19. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Kkkiroo, if you are worried about heating up your horse, maybe try adding some RBO. It's great for their coat, and a calm source of energy. You may have to wait until the summer coat starts coming through before you notice a change, but now is the time to start conditioning the coat for the summer :)

20. KKKiroo

Thanks Freestyle....but what is RBO? ;) Rice Bran Oil?