fuel efficient towing car..

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by horselover97, May 16, 2011.

1. Narelle28

Narelle28 Active Member

I tow with an F250 but shes gas injected as well and is better on fuel than my landcrusier. But I have big arse horse and a big float:D

2. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

I've a AWD Ford Territory Ghia as my everyday car and it also tows brilliantly 2 horses no worries but I also have an electric braked double float.

I also tow with hubby's Ford Falcon ute which is on gas super economical but I only tow one horse with that as it doesnt have a hd tow bar. Tows no worries. But of course I prefer my Territory!!

3. K85

K85 New Member

I have a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee which can tow 3.5T and is very good on fuel in everyday driving compared to a lot of 4WD's. It tows beautifully, and i like the safety of having a large vehicle for country towing

4. blacklight6

blacklight6 New Member

Just wondering if anyone had considered a 3 door Suzuki Grand Vitara for towing a double horse float with a single horse (as only rated for 1600kg)?

5. K85

K85 New Member

I sold my 5 door Grand Vitara and got the Jeep as I wouldn't feel safe towing over capacity. With the weight of the float plus the horse it would go over 1,600kg

6. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

The smallest car I would ever consider towing with is a commodore or falcon... A Suzuki wouldn't have the capacity let alone the power.. Don't do it!

7. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

We have a 2007 holden rodeo turbo diesel 4wd with the 3ltr isuzu motor in it has a 3 tonne towing capacity really good on fuel 8.7ltr per 100km tows like a dream forget the float is on the back.

I personally wouldnt tow a float without a 4wd i use to have a 1997 vt commodore sedan and even with just one horse in a double float felt like i was being pushed along.

8. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

talk about old thread dug up...

there are many popular misconceptions about tow ratings and a cars ability, but just to address a few about 4wd utes here

the standard 4WD ute these days are not AWD (massive difference...). they are 4WD. which means they are 2WD (rear) until you put them into 4. you cannot use 4WD on a sealed road unless you have two diffs (front and back) and there are only a handful of cars which do (skylines etc... and prados and pajeros from memory... and of course a few others) else - you will cause diff wind up, which is not good and will cost you a new gear box. being in 4wd on an unsealed road increases your ability to steer the car on a lose surface. ABS is the only thing however that will help you steer in an emergency braking situation (it wont stop you faster).

the new common rail diesel engines are very fuel efficient, including towing. my current 2012 (not the latest model) ranger will do 700++km to about 58L and about 450-500km with my double extended wide body float, with my two lumps on the back (will accelerate up greenmount from 80km/h, but then thats illegal). i am looking at upgrading my ute in the next 6mths after hearing so many amazing reviews for the new model (3.2L TD 6spd), but thats just my personal perference. any utes in that range will due the job well.

having previously towed with a falcon, commodore, patrol, landcruiser etc etc etc. i can tell you why the market for 4wd utes has come so competitive and why big companies like my day jobs have gone away from traditional suppliers toyota and nissan. transmission preference is also changing with companies moving away from the traditional manual preference, because it was always 'safer' to be able to select your gear, to automatic, particularly in the case of towing where the cars ability to select the correct gear based on the load, conditions and speed, reducing wear on your engine.

what ever you end up being able to afford, ensure that you are tow rated correctly, that you have insurance and that your float is in good condition. i have been there - unable to afford all the bells and whistles and whilst i have never towed over my rating or done anything particularly illegal, there are things i have done in the past that i just shake my head at. at the time, i just couldnt afford any better (maybe i should have rethought my finances before commiting to so much with the horses... just glad we all got out alive!!)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

I tow with a Kia Sorrento AWD 2004 model auto
    It is a great car to drive for ever day use and is awesome for towing
    With its like there is no float on behind but I have had a HD tow bar and the float has electric brakes on it and I have heavy duty suspension on mlthe car awesome cars can fit soo much stuff in the back perfect for showing and it has a towing compacitiy 3.5ton

10. madison

madison Well-known Member

I think you'll find that the towing capacity is 3500 pounds which is approximately 1500kg

11. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

Sorry I was getting the information off of my dad and relaying it I only tow a small Galloway anyway :)