"Friends" of the SEC... oh dear

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by stablegirl, Aug 4, 2010.

1. stablegirl

stablegirl New Member

"Dear Members,

We would like to introduce a new State Equestrian Centre initiative entitled ?Friends of the SEC? (FoSEC).

The SEC cannot realise its vision of being self sufficient alone. The ability to continue to enhance and fully utilise the State?s main Equestrian facility relies very much on the assistance and support from Equestrian WA, volunteers and the private sector. This new initiative will help realise greater value for money and benefits to the change in the EWA membership structure as well.

It is intended that FoSEC will be a group of individuals who have:

? An interest and experience in event management (any discipline); and
    ? A willingness to see the SEC become a financially viable entity.

FoSEC does not intend to take over events that are currently run by the various discipline Promotions groups but rather is looking to increase the number and diversity of events currently being held at the State Equestrian Centre. Should Promotions groups choose not to run particular events (i.e. their respective State Titles) FoSEC may be approached to run the event.

In recognising that Committee membership is not for everyone, we are inviting involvement in two ways:

As a member of the FoSEC Committee (12 positions from different discipline backgrounds); or
    As an interested member who would be willing to assist with events on the day.

Nominations for the FoSEC Committee are being sought from the general membership for three representatives from each discipline (dressage, show jumping, show horse and eventing). Committee members will be expected to be involved in running at least one event for their discipline in the following 12 month period. Once the FoSEC Committee has been established they will advertise a series of events that will be held at the SEC over the following 12 month period.

As many of you will be aware, members of the Event Organising Committees often incur personal costs when organising such events. In order to ensure that there is minimal impact on event organisers in this way the following will occur for each event:

Budget will be generated and approved prior to each event;
    Pro forma Sponsorship documentation and contacts will be generated;
    Entries will be done via Global Entries on line;
    A pre paid phone will be purchased for use at each of the events to reduce expenses incurred by organisers;
    All valid and supported expenses incurred by the event organisers will be reimbursed; and
    A $40 helper fee (which will be reimbursed to those that help) will be applied to every entry. "

Does the SEC have any friends????????????????

2. pso

pso Gold Member

I think its a good idea...
    A group of people that actually WANTS shows to run at the SEC- since none of the clubs will be able afford to!!!*#)

And- as everyone knows...I disagree strongly with a compulsory $40 helper fee#(

3. smash

smash Well-known Member

one would hope you look up LOYALTY !!!!!!!
    the way you have treated your members is nothing but a disgrace, and the way you have treated passed volunteers has been disgusting.
    lower your fees
    be there to HELP and SUPPORT members and other clubs, and they will in turn HELP and SUPPORT you.
    and learn to count
    that is 4 disciplines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheers

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Sorry the $40 helper fee is ridiculous, I pay enough to be a Senior Showhorse member and my horses rego's and cards plus show fees and charges to cough up anymore#(

5. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Ditto to Merlin.

6. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

I think they mean what they say smash as in three from EACH discipline ie. 3 x eventing, 3 x dressage, 3 x show horse and 3 x show jumping. Well that is how I read it.

I think it's a good idea although is it that different from what we had before? It's just more structured and organisers are reimbursed in a formal way ...

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

ha ha ha
    and i should learn to read LOL :)

8. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

lol, I know you know how to read - you were just reading what you wanted to see ;) . I think you're right on the treatment of members but feel that this could be a way of bringing people back together by having events organised by people who are passionate about their sport ';' . Works in eventing in WA which is flourishing at the moment :)* .

9. smash

smash Well-known Member

so true springbok, but that is not the problem, it is all the fee's that they charge to hire the SEC and to be a member of the EWA.
    if they simply drop the prices (considerably) they would be back in line with other states, that have their venues book out all year round.
    the EWA membership, should be around $50 for what the members get from them at this point of time, but if they were in full swing, well maybe $120
    to get clubs to actually afford to hire the grounds, should be about $300 for the indoor, $200 for out door arenas and about $500 for the polo field.
    stabling should be about $25.
    this enables clubs to AFFORD to hire the grounds, which allows clubs to charge a fee to cover the cost of hiring, and allows people to AFFORD to compete.
    their fee structure at the moment, makes it impossible for any club to recoup the hire fees, as they have to charge the competitor a higher fee, which in turns, turns competitors away. it is a no win situation for ALL EQUESTRIAN BODIES.
    at the moment, all they are doing is asking for volunteer scapegoats.

10. pso

pso Gold Member

smash
    Stables ARE $25??? and $5 for subsequent days
    There is no longer a polofield ;)

not really scapegoats...People who dont need to hire the grounds so can cross off that expense- and can hence afford to run shows cheaper...which will in turn push all other organisers out of the market as they wont be able to afford to run shows there at a competitive rate...

A conspiracy theorist may well predict that Fosec will take over running ALL shows that want to run at the SEC ;)

IF a good group of people get together, Then this may benefit everyone....

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

so are you saying pso.
    that the Fosec get the grounds for free (or very cheep) and run shows from the SEC ?

12. pso

pso Gold Member

no idea smash...
    fosec is working for the sec, so I am guessing that only basic fees are budgeted- same as when SEC runs events? Could be wrong tho';'

As I'm not a member, I cant enquire about helping them out*#)

13. smash

smash Well-known Member

ahhh so what would be the difference of charging affiliated clubs that same amount ';' that would make more sense
    seems they are making more work for themselves*#)
    i really dont understand what they are trying to achieve ';'

14. sil

sil Gold Member

It's important to note that the SEC is not government funded and has to raise all its maintenance funds etc itself. I think it is also a leased property not owned.

It might be easy to be disinterested in ensuring it has the funds to run, but I personally expect that if this attitude continues and we lose the SEC or it is handed over to another sporting venue, the price (even compared to the new fees) will skyrocket - and that will be even if they give equestrian due consideration.

So go on and complain about helper fees, ground fees, stable fees and see how that works. I can't think of anything in this world that people don't want to be a bit cheaper, but ultimately someone needs to pay the bills.

15. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

So if the SEC isn't government funded, where do they get their money from to run the place? I imagine it would be a rather expensive business.
    I understand that people don't like paying what they consider to be high fees, but it's a bit like taxes- no one likes paying them but the money to run things has to come from somewhere.

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

this their VALUES ';'

no use having values if dont stand by them #(

17. sil

sil Gold Member

All the funds come from fees for using the place, memberships etc.

18. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I see this new group as being a replacement for SEC Events, who ran shows like the Summer Series etc. The concept of the SEC itself running events is quite sensible but just not using the SEC staff to do it.

I'd consider joining FoSEC but can imagine anyone who joined would be lumbered with a shite load of work to do.

19. sil

sil Gold Member

"which will be reimbursed to those that help"

ie: help out or pay a fee to get out of helping. Something that is not new and is being introduced more and more due to peoples' (not you specifically of course) reluctance to even pick up after themselves. I've lost count of the number of shows I have been to and seen people leave hay on the ground, manure piles swept out of floats, rubbish on the ground, more manure and hay left in stables and yards. It's disgusting. Why do people assume there is an invisible army to pick up after them at a show? 100 people attend and maybe 30 leave a pigsty and that means someone needs to clean up after 30 people and dispose of their mess. The unfortunate thing is that it tends to be the same volunteers time after time.

Which is ridiculous: people having to clean up after attendees after a long day helping run the show, or a $40 fee.

It would be nice to think everyone attending a show would pitch in and help but the reality is people turn up, do their classes and leave ASAP. Some people do help but they are far and few between unfortunately - nobody can reasonably expect to depend on those few people while there are so many that don't do the right thing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  20. pso

pso Gold Member

Yes Sil- but those of us that DO help- even when $40-$100 helper fees are charged- get jack...If we are lucky we get the helper fee back...But more often than not, helper fees ARE NOT refunded, let alone used to pay helpers...:}