Frequency of Pentosan Injections?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Late Starter, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I think it is swabbable but only first 72hrs from memory:confused:

2. EVP

EVP Gold Member

As far as I am aware the following is the current situation with respect to glycosaminogylcans (pentosan/cartrophen/hyonate/MAP 5/Enhance/Adequan/Hyartil)

1. They are detectable on swabbing, but an accurate withdrawal has not been determined. This can be said for any drug.

2. They are not regarded by the race horse industries or the EFA as prohibited drugs, thus they are not often looked for in swab samples. Their use is widespread and allowed. There has been no "positive" swabs to gylcosaminogylcans recorded in Australia or the world to my knowledge.

3. They are safe to use at anytime before/during competition, many many of the horses at the Olympics were actively using these compounds whilst at Sydney Games.

Pentasan is also given to yearling TB's by a number of studs.

These types of drugs are mostly given IM but can be given intra-articular (in the joint)....this needs to be done by a vet.

That said, all ours that are on it are given it a few days before any race that they might have coming up.

3. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

so its an injectible form of glucosamine-so just basically way better that the oral type?? hmm might try some! *going off to vets":)

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

No its not the same as Glucosamine. Pentasan or Carthropen are drugs that have been trialed and then marketed to improve overall joint health.

They are "drugs" as opposed to "natural medicine".

A box of 12 x 10ml bottles or 12 x 6 ml bottles will cost about $500+

5. luffy

luffy Active Member

I paid ~$500 for a 50ml bottle, so $10 per ml which equates to $60 per shot (6ml dose). I gave my horse 1 shot per week for 4 weeks and then a single dose 3 months later. He has been diagnosed with low ringbone (coffin joint) and was slightly lame trotting on hard ground and lame on a flexion test. I didn't particularly notice much difference after the pentosan injections so am now trialling monthly shots.

I guess it depends on the problem the horse has, the type of arthritis, etc. My horse is also currently on a very expensive joint supplement from Naturevet called Joint Guard plus which contains oral hyaluronic acid (as well as Glucosamine, MSM, Chondriotin). All up I am not noticing too much difference but maybe his lameness wasn't pronounced enough and so the improvement is only slight???

6. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Interesting **). Think I'll delay Benny's next dose and see how he goes. If he starts showing any signs of lameness I'll do the 4 weekly dose first up and then go back to giving it to him regularly but spread further apart.

7. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

my 24yo has been on cartrophen for the past 5yrs (could be longer) initially given his 4 weekly shots then 1 injection every 2-3 mths. only 3weeks ago a vet friend who works at murdoch told me they now rec 4 weekly shots yearly not the injections in between anymore. so going to give this a try and see how thigns go

8. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I spoke to my vet about this today and she suggested that its given 1 a week for 4 weeks and then one 3 monthly (this is not my normal vet but at the same vet clinic) she feels if you leave it a year your allowing the drug to drop too low in the horses system.....but she did say all vets have different veiws but most say the 4 once weekly is across the board pretty much.
    I am going to give Winnie one 3 monthly.
    It does depend on the severity of the lameness (joint issues etc too.)