Frequency of Pentosan Injections?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Late Starter, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

There seems to be a number of different vet opinions on how often to give pentosan injections and I'm interested to know what your vet has prescribed in terms of frequency and why that period of time if you give it to your horse?

I've had Benny on pentosan injections for a number of months now and my vet told me just to give monthly injections right from the start (no 4 weekly dose to start) and that giving it any further apart than monthly was pointless (can't remember her exact words but along those lines). He had very mild intermittent lameness which he hasn't had since being on the pentosan.

Other people I know have been told to give 4 weekly injections and then after that monthly doses and yet others have been given the initial weekly doses but have been told to give it 3/6/12 monthly.

So I'm a little confused. Do people still find they're horse benefits if the injection is spread out? Don't know whether to try spreading Benny's out and see how he goes.

2. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I gave the course of 1 a week for 4 weeks and now I will give a 'top up' every 2 months.
    I was told I could top up quarterly (3 monthly) but I've chosen to do it a little more regularly. It may depend on the severity of the horses symptoms but if left to long between I can't see how it can continue to be beneficial.
    I have been told by several vets that the full course of 4 in the first month is a must. It's considered the 'loading dose' :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  3. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I've always been told 1 a week for 4 weeks and then you can do it 3/6/12 depending on the horse/why it needs it.

I plan on putting Lilly on it as a preventative (TB unsoundness thread is pretty scary lol) so I will do every 6 months after the first 4 weeks. My vet said this was fine.

4. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

That doesn't sound right, I thought the one a week for 4 weeks initially was a must. Then after that, it depends on the horse. If they start feeling stiff again, give them another one.

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

It all depends on how "severe" the horses problems are. The 1 a week for 4 weeks is a must and then depending on the horse how often they should have it. Over the colder months I would treat a "unsound" horse monthly then in the warmer months 2-3monthly :)

6. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

We were asking about this at the vets the other day and they recommended the initial course of 1 a week for 4 weeks and then once a month...However if not too severe then every 2-3 months....Another lady I met was told to do the 1 a week for 4 weeks every 3-4 months...

7. weezal

weezal New Member

With my boy i did the 4 weekly shots then he gets one every 3 months however a friend actually contacted naturevet (the company that supplies the ones I use) and they actually said the way that they have tested and shown the best results is to actually repeat the 4 weekly shots every 6 months and give none inbetween. Haven't tried it myself though.

8. Tommy'sPal

Tommy'sPal New Member

Just got that stuff from my vet today. I have to give the injection weekly for a month than they'll re-evaluate to see if it makes a difference. Then I may need to give it monthly if it is arthritis. There not one hunderd percent sure if its even arthristis lol.

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I have 2 aged horses here both get it monthly and had their initial 4 X doses to load.

Also have 3 X STB in work that get it monthly (2) and fortnightly (1).

I wish I could buy it by the pallet load!

Its a miracle drug and I love it!

Some trainers give it more than twice per month I was told by a vet from Randwick.

10. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

can i ask what this is?? is it an arthritis drug like cortisone or something??:confused:

11. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

That's why I'm totally confused, my vet (who is at Murdoch) told me not to worry about the weekly injections first but everyone else I've spoken to have done the weekly injection for a month. Wonder if I should do the 4 weekly dose even though he's already been on it about 4 months :confused: - would hate to think I'm spending the money to give him an injection every month which isn't doing any good. He's on it more as a preventative although he did have some very mild lameness earlier this year.

I'm presuming it wouldn't hurt to do the 4 weekly dose now.

12. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Winnie has been on the 4 weekly injections and I may only need to top up yearly but will keep an eye on it. I have noticed a 60% improvement in his hocks/hind end since giving the shots.
    He was put on it because he failed his flexion test on the off hind (hocks).
    It seems the 4weekly injections to start with is how all vets do i (except yours Latestarter);) Interesting.

13. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

LS, once per month, for a horse with very few (if any symptoms) seems excessive - especialy as you seem to be saying that you haven't really noticed any difference ';' As a preventative - again, seems super excessive to me!

I know 5 people who give Pentosan injections and swear by it! They can all tell when their horses need a 'top up'.

They all started with the 4 x 1 per week loading dose. 3 of them just give the injections each 6 months, 1 gives it once per year and the other does it 3 monthly.

So, once per month, unless your horse is really quite bad, seems... odd ';'

Maybe it isn't doing 'any good' because he didn't get the loading dose? Then again, maybe it isn't doing 'any good' cos he doesn't really need it that much? Maybe stop the doses and see how he goes? (Just rambling now! lol) :p

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  14. FlowerPower

FlowerPower New Member

My boy was lame due to swelling in a knee a few years ago. We put it down to arthritis, gave him one injection and he has never had a problem since!!!

He is now 16.

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

My girl is older and was starting to look a bit 'stiff'.
    I have her 1 injection weekly for a month, and now she get's 1 every 3 months. I've noticed a hugeeee difference! She doesn't look stiff at all even in the mornings or after a day eventing.

16. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

From there website:
    Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium (PPS)
    * A semi-synthetic polysaccharide polymer based on an extract of the Beechwood plant
    * A sulfated heparinoid with reduced anti-coagulant effects and enhanced anti-inflammatory, fibrinolytic, and tissue trophic effects
    * Directly stimulates joint repair, rather than simply masking pain like many joint treatments
    PENTOSAN EQUINE ACTIVELY REVERSES EXISTING JOINT DAMAGE AND PROTECTS AGAINST FURTHER DEGRADATION VIA 5 DIRECT
    ACTIONS:
    1. Improves Cartilage Quality - Chondrocytes are stimulated to produce more proteoglycans to build and repair cartilage matrix.
    2. Improves Joint Fluid Quality - Synovial fibroblasts are stimulated to produce increased amounts of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid resulting in more normally-viscous joint fluid for optimal lubrication and shock-absorption.
    3. Inhibits Destructive Enzymes - The release of many degradative enzymes which damage cartilage and cause peri-articular inflammation are inhibited. In addition, release of an enzyme which inhibits these degradative enzymes is stimulated.
    4. Provides Anti-Inflammatory Activity - Inflammation is reduced via a powerful inhibitory effect on all mediators of the arachidonic acid cascade and lysosomal catabolic enzymes. Leukocyte migration into joints is also reduced.
    5. Increases Blood Supply to Joints - Strong fibrinolytic action promotes dissolution of thrombi and fibrin deposits, and mobilisation of lipids and cholesterol in synovial tissues and subchondral blood vessels. This improves blood exchange to maximise healing ability and promote normal intraosseus pressure.

17. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

And than I thought I'd have a look what the makers say:

Intra-Muscular Dose: 3 mg/kg Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium at 5 - 7 day intervals for 4 injections. i.e. 6 mL (1 vial) Pentosan Equine for a 500 kg horse every 5 - 7 days for 4 doses.
    Intra-Articular Dose: 250 mg Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium by aseptic technique once weekly for up to 4 injections. i.e. 1 mL ( 1/6 vial) Pentosan Equine per joint once weekly for up to 4 doses.
    PENTOSAN EQUINE has an affinity for cartilage and, for maximum effect, tissues should be exposed to the drug over an extended period, hence the 4 injections. Depending on the response of the horse, and at the discretion of the treating veterinarian, the course of 4 weekly injections can be repeated at a later stage, or single injections can be given at weekly to monthly intervals for an extended period.
    In vitro studies suggest that PENTOSAN EQUINE is particularly effective, and displays synergy, with concurrent use of COSEQUIN� EQUINE (Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate supplement) to provide the essential raw materials for joint repair and maintenance.

Baha, sorry for the thread spam :p

18. horsescomefirst

thanks lauren:) im glad someone answered my question. so can it be used for racing purposes-is it swabbble?? im guessing if its so commonly used it must be ok to use??
    do you inject into the joints themselves or intramuscular??
    do you get it off vets??
    sorry for the questions!:))

19. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Pentosan is very commonly used, injected intra muscular, and yes get it off your vets - although some might want a consult first.

I same as everyone else really once a week for 4 weeks, then maintenance dose of 3/6/12 depending on issue. For my mare it's a preventative only, so we do it every 6 months. Cheaper long term and more effective (proven) than joint supps.

20. horsescomefirst

is it swabbable or a nutural substance??